Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A9 at Guitar Center at a decent price...

Blog Entries

Default Re: A9 at Guitar Center at a decent price...

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I was told by a GC employee when I was trying to cut a lower price that they have some leeway to negotiate when it is tagged used but not if it is tagged vintage. The vintage pricing is done by a separate division headquartered in their L.A. facility. His understanding is that instruments over 25 years old arr priced as vintage and price is not negotiable in those cases.
    I don' think that information is totally correct. They may indeed have separate "used" verses "vintage" policy -- but I do not think that there is no negotiation on vintage prices. I was looking a '60's Gibson A-50 at the Cincinnati store and they were more than willing to reduce the price a bit for a sale.

FYI the Cincinnati GC has at least four used and one new Gibson for sale on the floor -- '1914 F-2 (with Handels), 1910's A-model, 1950 F-12, 1960's A-50. And brand new F-5G.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Thanks for this. I just ordered it... hopefully all is well, otherwise I will just return it to a local guitar center. Anybody need a Loar LM 520?
    John I do have an A9, and am considering buying a second hand The Loar [edit: not "the Load"] LM 600 (€350). How do necks compare ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by pArispAl; Feb-21-2013 at 10:52am.
    https://www.facebook.com/herve.oudet
    Gibson A9 (2005)
    The Loar LM600-VS (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by pArispAl View Post
    John I do have an A9, and am considering buying a second hand The Load LM 600 (€350). How do necks compare?...
    Assume you mean "Loar." I'd guess a mandolin called "The Load" would have a really big neck...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Gotcha Allen

sorry for the typo.
    Gibson A9 (2005)
    The Loar LM600-VS (2010)

This thread caused me to go the Pittsburgh Guitar Center to play the A9 they had listed. I called first to make sure it hadn't sold. However when I got there no A-9. It had been stolen along with other mandos and ukes. Apparently someone was using the Big Coat Season to sneak small instruments out. The only thing still hanging were unplayable Mitchells.

Wow. Never thought about shoplifting being a problem at GC. They guard the door and everything. They must really be oblivious if people are sticking mandos and ukes under their coats. This just boggles my mind.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    FYI the Cincinnati GC has at least four used and one new Gibson for sale on the floor -- '1914 F-2 (with Handels), 1910's A-model, 1950 F-12, 1960's A-50. And brand new F-5G.
    My local GC in Hallandale http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGea...m?location=770 has two mandolins listed as "Vintage Martin A" models, but there's not so much as a model number, a serial number, or even a Martin badge to identify them. They're in the $400-500 range, and I was wondering, as an incompetent rhythm guitarist for the last 25 years, whether I'd have a better chance of becoming incompetent on the mandolin with one of these instruments or a newer midrange model like the Kentucky KM250 or The Loar 220/520. I'm not going to be out trying to get heard in a bluegrass band, just sitting around the house like the rest of my generation fooling around with REM.

Thanks,
    Pat

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I think you might be better off with a Kentucky or Loar (with a good setup) for a first mandolin. You may also consider which style of music you want to play and whether you want f holes or oval holes. It depends on the model, but many vintage models don't always offer as much access up the neck. I almost bought a vintage Martin once, but it would not have been very practical if it was my only mandolin. It did have a nice sweet tone though.

I had been playing my A9 as a guitar for three years when watching this video of Kris Delmhorst and Session Americana, I decided to take lessons. Actually the mando part by Sean Staples is pretty basic but it ereally adds to the song.

You want to take lessons, Pat, you'll enjoy your mando all the more
    Gibson A9 (2005)
    The Loar LM600-VS (2010)

The F9 is amazing. I would say that it is in good to very good condition. It has some appropriate dings and pick marks, but not anywhere near the wear that the A9 had. The neck seems straight. It sounds great. The strings it originally had on it (I think Martin Bluegrass strings) were not nearly heavy enough, and it sounded off, but I put some J74s on it and man does it rip. The chop and volume on this thing are beastly. This is a bluegrass machine. If you look at the scroll on the headstock you can see where it has been repaired, but this does not affect the sound and doesn't bother me in the least. The serial number suggests it was built in 2003. I can't help but think I got a great deal on this thing at $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    The F9 is amazing. I would say that it is in good to very good condition. It has some appropriate dings and pick marks...you can see where it has been repaired, but this does not affect the sound and doesn't bother me in the least...can't help but think I got a great deal on this thing at $1500.
    Congratulations! Another testimony to accepting the "distressing" of a well-used instrument, in order to get great value for the price, and an eminently usable musician's mandolin. I have probably bought five to ten used instruments for every new one, and IMHO that's the sensible way to go.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

My sentiments exactly. Those new F9s sure are pretty, but for the price of one of those I can get a used F9 and Collings MT, if I look long enough. Those will keep their value in the aftermarket as well, for that ol' MAS thing when it comes along and you all of a sudden have several things you maybe should not have purchased...

You have to be careful with GC. Often I would try to negotiate a price only to be told that the instrument was there on consignment so no leeway was possible - the price was the price. Last month I took a classical guitar there - that I bought there, BTW, and asked to place it for sale on consignment.
    I was told that GC does not take instruments on consignment but only on trade-in, or they will buy it outright (at an insulting price!)
    So they have lost a customer. They are like some politicians I could name - they lie whenever it suits their convenience. To hxll with them!

Thomas
    So chi sono.

I was pretty happy with the 1 month trial period on used gear. It really gives you a chance to dig in as well as get secondary opinions on the condition. You have to pay in full, but seems worth it. Not many places I can think of, aside from small builders, that allow trial periods like that.

Wow that mint blond 2005 F9 that was up on Ebay just sold for $2550 plus $50 shipping. Now I really feel like I got a good deal.