Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A9 at Guitar Center at a decent price...

Default A9 at Guitar Center at a decent price...

Did a search on used mandolins at Guitar Center. Thought I would pass this one on to the cafe...

USED 2002 GIBSON A-9 MASTER MANDOLIN WC 011413

Guitar Center Hollywood
    Hollywood, California 90046
    323-874-1060

Now Only
    $924.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A9 at Guitar Center at a decent price...

Interesting. Never looked for used mandolins on their site. See two other A-9 models but at higher prices and different stores. A few interesting items.

Their used recording gear can be pretty awesome. I got a BlueTube and a AudioBox USB for $70 each, they were like new.

Interesting. Big difference in price. This A9 is selling in Pittsburgh for $1599.99. Let's make sure not to call it $1,600.

... and another A9 in Cincinnati for $1100.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

1910 A4 currently at the GC in Albany NY for $1000. Looks like the one-piece bridge has been professionally shored up to offset some sinkage, but it's not a bad little box.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

i just returned an F-9 to the Boston store ,i was told it was mint condition , and in a HSC it came in in a cheap Alpine bag ,poorly repired headstock scroll break,wear in to the wood on the top,lots of pick scratches,chip on the neck, it did sound good just nowhere close to what i was described
    Danny Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    1910 A4 currently at the GC in Albany NY for $1000. Looks like the one-piece bridge has been professionally shored up to offset some sinkage, but it's not a bad little box.
    These people know nothing. It is an A3, not an A4.

Michael: did you see and play this one in person?

I would bet there is some other issues with it as well (besides the lack of a pickguard). They are rather sparse on the info and photos, you do notice. I would try to get to the store or at least have an in-hand telephone conversation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	108536649_el.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	96890  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Once in a while you'd find some good ones on there. I remember seeing a The Loar LM700 listed for $499 once, and still regretted for not driving up to see it. However, most of the ones they have listed are import models, and the ones that deserve a closer look tend to be priced high. But then again, as I had learned recently, everything at Guitar Center is negotiable, so if you see something you're interested in, call the store and make them a deal.

Apparently GC will ship used instruments between stores if you're really interested (?); I was chasing a National tri-cone guitar they had listed a few years ago, and as I remember they would send it to their local store from wherever it was.

Prices sure do vary for similar models; wonder if that reflects what trade-in allowances they gave to acquire them.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I was in and out of GC on an errand, so I gave it a quick strum and looked at the tag. I tried to read the label but couldn't make it out. I do know that it didn't look quite spiffy enough to be a 4, but I didn't have time to do much investigation. The neck is in rough shape on the back and I'm sure it has other issues. Seemed to play in tune OK and sounded pretty good, though not as robust as my 21. I'd like to make time to go give t a good whack, but I don't know that it will last long enough for me to get up there.
    2016 Weber Octar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    The neck is in rough shape on the back and I'm sure it has other issues. Seemed to play in tune OK and sounded pretty good, though not as robust as my 21. I'd like to make time to go give t a good whack, but I don't know that it will last long enough for me to get up there.
    I like how they show you practically nothing. I wonder if it will be snapped up so quickly, esp since it sounds like it does have other issues. Man, you would think they could shoot larger pics and at least one pic of the back.

BTW here is a link to the page with the listing and practically nothing except for erroneous info. Hey it does have OHSC.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Apparently GC will ship used instruments between stores if you're really interested (?); I was chasing a National tri-cone guitar they had listed a few years ago, and as I remember they would send it to their local store from wherever it was.

Prices sure do vary for similar models; wonder if that reflects what trade-in allowances they gave to acquire them.
    They will ship it to another store for pickup, but if memory serves, they still charge a nominal fee for shipping. I had one shipped last year, and the shipping was more than reasonable (< $10). But don't forget you'll have to pay taxes on the purchase no matter where the instrument is coming from (unless Guitar Centre is not in your state). I wanted to pick it up from the store so that in case anything happens, or if it was clearly a subpar instrument, I can just return it right there. Also, vintage instruments are exempted from the usual 30 day return policy. You can still return within 3 days of purchase, though (their full return policy here: http://gc.guitarcenter.com/legal/tac.cfm).

Thanks for this. I just ordered it... hopefully all is well, otherwise I will just return it to a local guitar center. Anybody need a Loar LM 520?

A little after the fact JWalter, but I do remember that it was also oversprayed. The bridge work did look quite professional. Let us know your findings.
    2016 Weber Octar

To clarify... I ordered the A9.

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    To clarify... I ordered the A9.
    All right! Let us know how the deal goes, and what you think of the A-9.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Definitely will report back ASAP.

The A-9 has arrived. It a nice mando. It is totally different from my Morris A5. Definitely has the woodier lower tone versus the Morris's sweeter tone. The neck is slightly smaller on the A9. The trim is definitely very low key. We are still getting to know each other. I will report back in a few days when I have gotten more used to it. But as far was the guitar center purchase, it was as described and shipped promptly. The case is not the finest, but I can overlook that. Thanks for the tip.

I bought my 2004 A9 used had a crack on the treble f hole,had it glued. Ipaid 800.00 and it is a monster! Ive wore the skin off of the top ,dents here and there,finish comin off the neck and bass f hole love it! I wouldnt take less than 1200.00 based on sound alone. I will never sell it,an example of one darn good player!

It definitely has a distinctly woofy chop that I really like. I wouldn't mind getting it setup so that action were a little lower, though. I love the tone though. So different from my Morris.

Update: Took the A9 to my local luthier. He said that there were some signs that it could have some exposure to different temps/humidities. The next was warped and there were some other slight issues. As opposed to sinking more money into it, I am returning it although it did sounds great... So I ordered the F9 from the Boston store that was for sale for $1500. I spoke with the rep on the phone and he did say it was in great shape other than a little crack in the headstock scroll that was stable and well repaired... So we will see. I do like that It only costs me about $15 in shipping costs to try out these instruments.

Curious how the F9 turned out? I see the A9 is back up for sale in Portland for same $924.99 price you paid for it:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...55-i2939880.gc

Do they barter at all with you or is it always list price?

I was told by a GC employee when I was trying to cut a lower price that they have some leeway to negotiate when it is tagged used but not if it is tagged vintage. The vintage pricing is done by a separate division headquartered in their L.A. facility. His understanding is that instruments over 25 years old arr priced as vintage and price is not negotiable in those cases.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

All I know is GC was giving 15 percent off yesterday. If I bought something there in the last 2 weeks, I'd ask about some post-hoc discount.

I played a 1970s 0-18 Martin at the Richmond GC (Broad Street) and I would have bought it on the spot if it didn't need a neck set. They had it tagged at $1,500.00, so with the 15 percent off it'd'a been $1,275.00, which wouldn't been too bad if the neck angle was right.

Completly off topic, they also had an F5G at 15% off and it was just GREAT! Fresh from the factory (2013 S/N) and just great!

Also off topic, at the neighboring Sam Ash, they had a vintage "Dobro" mandolin in a cool vintage case for just under $900.00.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Yeah, I was thinking that too, but the fine print in their sales materials said that used and vintage items weren't included in the sale.