Thread: Sennheiser E906

Default Sennheiser E906

Has anyone tried the Sennheiser E906 as a mandolin mic?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Sennheiser E906

The E906 is designed to mic a guitar amp into the main PA and to amplify things like kick drums and trumpets. I've never used one, but my experience is that this kind of mic is built to deal with very loud sources. Mandolins aren't - comparatively speaking - very loud sources.

I could be completely wrong, but I don't think I am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Default Re: Sennheiser E906

Isn't the E906 also a great mic for recording guitar amps? What else is great for guitar amps? The Sm57. I have had good luck with the 57 and know it is a fairly popular live mandolin mic. However I like a side address mic, and this has some frequency tailoring options on it. I have found this very useful on other mics. Also this mic is designed for very fast transient response. Also the fact that I am also a guitar player, if this was as good (or hopefully better) as an sm57 it would be a very handy thing to have around. I guess I am looking to see if there is a dynamic alternative to the sm57.

. My favorite mics to use for mando tend to be condensers, but in some venues it is not practical to use them. LOUD Ski Area pubs come immediately to mind. Maybe the 57 is best for this, it just seems a little crude to me. Also I have heard that the 57and 58 are basicly the same, but I have had FAR better luck with the 57 on mandolin.