Thread: Tuner/Metronome

Default Tuner/Metronome

I have been working on improving my timing and groove along with the quality of tone as I play. And it occurred to me that a clip on tuner with a silent metronome feature might be very helpful. Normally my tuner is clipped to the headstock anyway and if there was tuner/metronome combo available it could be handy. I would like a silent, light blinking type of metronome. Currently I use a Snark tuner and saw a SN-8, but I couldn't tell if the metro part could be used in quiet mode. I would appreciate suggestions as to the different options around.

Proud Mandolin Owner BeginnerMandolinistTyler's Avatar

Default Re: Tuner/Metronome

I honestly think getting a metronome that makes a tone or something would be very beneficial. The silent one on the tuner is more than likely used for performances for the people who are counting off the song. Since I am a primarily a percussionist, I have worked with a metronome for a long time. 9 years to be exact. I understand that practicing with a metronome can be extremely boring and aggravating but it does pay off in the end. Also try playing along with other tunes, preferably professional recordings or studio recordings to ensure that their time is not wavering too much. If you want to improve your groove, listen to Chris Thile or Mike Marshall play some non bluegrass/newgrass music. For me, having playing drum set for 8 years now, listening to these two players really created my interest in mandolin. Then I fell in love with bluegrass and ended up on this forum.

Blog Entries

I thinking its better to get in the habit of listening for the beat, rather than looking for it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well actually I do want the metronome primarily for performance. But having both options, of sound and silence is really best. When practicing alone I in fact do use a conventional metronome. By using one that can be silenced and which is attached to the headstock it can be used, say when rehearsing with others just to check our tempo. So back to the original question: have others used such a type and which ones were best? Thanks

If you have a smartphone, there are a ton of amazing metronome apps - some make sounds (some you can choose what sound they make), some flash the phone flash in combination (or separate to) the sound, all of 'em use displays of one type or another. You can also plug one ear (not both!) into a headphone if you want some privacy but still want the sound.

If you don't have a smartphone... ermmm... get one! :-P

Registered User Vincent Capostagno's Avatar

I have a Seiko clip on tuner/metronome that has 7 cascading LEDs and a volume control that can be set to mute.