Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin setup guide by

Default Mandolin setup guide by

I recently requested and received by email Rob Meldrum's Mandolin se-up eBook. It has a tremendous amount of good information in it which I think would be most helpful to most mandolin players. You can contact him at: rob.meldrum@gmail.com and I would recommend that you do this if you have any interest at all in mandolin set-up.

Fiddler 37

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to fiddler37 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Mandolin setup guide by

I agree! I got the guide and it is excellent. I might be using some of the info on a new Kentucky mandolin that is on its way.

I also received a copy of Rob's ebook. What a guy! It is so informative and well written, I can't believe he is giving it away for free. I was going to drive many miles to have my new Eastman setup, but now I'm going to tackle it myself using this valuable guide. Thanks Rob Meldrum! -and thanks to the cafe and it's members for being so helpful. What a great online community this is!

Agree with all of the above, excellent guide, very appreciative of Rob's effort to put it together and send it for free, very helpful

Thanks Rob for the e-Book on mandolin set up. It helped me with my task at hand for a customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddler37 View Post
    I recently requested and received by email Rob Meldrum's Mandolin se-up eBook. It has a tremendous amount of good information in it which I think would be most helpful to most mandolin players. You can contact him at: rob.meldrum@gmail.com and I would recommend that you do this if you have any interest at all in mandolin set-up.

Fiddler 37

7. The following members say thank you to greg1299 for this post:

Rob's e-book is well done. A lot of effort and thought went into the publication. Rob sent me his e-book as well as some video links that demonstrate the before, how too and after set up. Awesome. Thanks Rob, great job.

Thanks Rob for promptly send me the e-Book.
    Excellent information on how to help get the best sound out of my mandolin.

Have to add my voice of thanks to Rob. Not only did he send his very useful e-book which I've now got on my kindle, but also a couple of before and after videos to demonstrate the changes. Very decent of him indeed.

Me too. I received the e-book from Rob. What a wonderful resource, and what a generous spirit Rob has.

Big thanks to Rob for the book! It's an excellent resource.

I would like to add an additional thanks. I've always wanted a set of nut files, but just haven't been able to make it happen at $10 a piece. The DIY set with the feeler guages was genius!

I received my copy a few days ago and was waiting for an appropriate thread to appear so I could thank Rob (if he's watching) for his thorough and well written ebook. His presentation is breezy and easily understood and the methods are time tested so you know they work. Thanks again Rob and I still can't figure out why you are giving this away. Perhaps Mel Bay should contact you about a publishing deal. Job very well done!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I also received Rob Meldrum's set up guide and found it to be a very informative and down to earth guide to setting up a mandolin. A very generous guy who obviously put a lot of time and energy into it. Thanks again Rob.

Stuart Berlin

Just wanted to add to the praise and thanks to Rob for writing and making the setup guide available. Looking forward to making some progress with it.

17. The following members say thank you to jromano23 for this post:

I also received a copy of Rob's set up guide and am very impressed. I have been setting up my own guitars and ukuleles for years, but was a bit hesitant to try a mandolin. With this guide I'm ready to try it, thanks Rob!

This is an excellent resource! Rob, it can be difficult to set the G course as low as .050 - .060 inch at the 12th fret on some mandolins because of uneven frets causing buzzing ... how about a sequel on fret dressing for beginners?

Great book...great help...thanks Robster!
    "Inspired to play music by many, both locally and globally...but no one inspired me more than my late grandfather, Charles "Paw" Fletcher Metcalf." - Tommy Berry, Jr.

Morgan Monroe "Bean Blossom" - BM4A Electric

Yes, informative reading.
    Best\joe

Blog Entries

I got one from Rob also -- what an impressive effort -- very through and lots of great pics. A great service!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Just got mine too! Thanks Rob and thanks MC for making it available and talking it up!
    Mid-Missouri M-3
    Washburn M116 SWK

Hello there. I´ve just received Rob ebook, and it is excellent. As a beginner, and living in Buenos Aires, its easy to figure out that its kind of difficult to get good mandolins here. So his book will be excellent to get a less painfull sound ....Thanks Rob!

One more big Thank You to Rob Meldrum. I received my ebook yesterday and can't wait to print it out. Heck, as all of us old guys know, its not a real manual until the edges are dog eared and the pages are coffee stained. Perused it briefly and I am already seeing possible solutions to the problem of misbehaving e strings on one of my mandos. This is definitely a "pay-it-forward" gesture on Rob's part. Thanks Rob. There is a chair in my camp for you, should we ever cross paths.
    mr.randy

Thread bump - Merry Christmas!

Rob, thank you so much for the setup guide. My husband got me a Fender mandolin for Christmas, and I would hate to have to turn around and send it off to get set up as soon as I got it - but with your book, I can do it tomorrow while he's at work. I planned ahead and ordered a guitar cleaning kit, feeler gauges, and files. I know it needs work because the strings are popping while I'm trying to tune it. I hope I don't screw it up! Wish me luck.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do,
    in order that I may learn how to do it.

- Pablo Picasso

Hey Rob and all...

I bought my first mandolin on Amazon about 14 months ago, and was ready with your setup guide when the mando arrived (Washburn M1K A-Style)...I was a bit nervous about the whole project, but I took my time (about a month!) and did it right. I was very happy with my results, and now, over a year later, am still very happy with my mandolin.

I work at the Ozarks Folk Center and have daily contact with pro mando players, and have had several of them play my mando...each one was surprised by how easy the action is and how good the mando sounds, especially considering it only cost $179. Thank you so much for putting that excellent guide together and for sharing it so generously!! I highly recommend it to everyone, and tell folks that they really CAN do it...just go slow and be sure of what you are doing before you do it...you'll be happy when you are done. Thanks again... -Omar

edit: I also suggest that each person should decide on which high-quality strings they will be using, and set up the mandolin using the new strings, as it seems that some strings are different sizes and you want them to be seated well in the nut and bridge. FYI, after lots of research, I bought and installed the D Addario EXP 74 Mediums and love the sound.
    Last edited by OmarEastwind; Dec-25-2013 at 12:34pm. Reason: forgot to mention strings...