Thread: Mandolin Setup - String Buzz - New Member

Default Mandolin Setup - String Buzz - New Member

New to the forum ... been playing Mandolin for a few years now ... recently sold old one and got new one ... new Mandolin has nice tone and plays easy ... however, I am getting string buzz on the 2 inside courses and only on the frets nearest the nut (not up the neck) ...

I am OK with doing some of my own tweaking (truss rod & bridge) ... I want to try and maintain the ease of play but get rid of (or minimize) the buzzing ...

Looking for tips/recommendations ... would it be best to seek out a professional setup? I'm in the Raleigh, NC area ...

Any help is much appreciated ... thanks.

Default Re: Mandolin Setup - String Buzz - New Member

If the nut slots are too low, you might get buzzing - or you may have some high frets. I would also check the neck to make sure it is straight.

pete is right,but buzzing can be a pain.I cured an older instrument by slipping a piece of paper between the nut and the string.
    I played that way for years because ,as a true Scot,I don't like spending money!
    I also created problems for myself when experimenting with different string gauges.Different strings can mean different set up.
    If you value the mandolin.........go to an expert!!

Do you have a problem with low humidity in your house?
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

Humidity is usually not a problem in eastern NC ... in the winter, I do have to keep a check on it ... I have an Oasis humidifier in the Mando case ... I could play around with trial and error on setup, but I think I would like to have an initial professional setup to cut to the chase ....

Does anyone know a good person to contact for Mandolin setup in the Raleigh, NC area?

Hey Scriptor......check the builders tab at the top of this page.Hope you find someone closeby.Maybe someone can recommend a name.

Thanks everyone ... I found a local guy in Raleigh who helped me out ... I was on the right track but his experience and insight was a big help in getting things setup right initially ... I learned a lot and I think I can run with it from here on out ...

Hey Scriptor,

I've got the same problem with a new Loar. I live near "Little Washington" about two hours east of Raleigh. Can you give me the name, address and phone number of the guy you found? I may want to give him a call?

Thanks........arakeva