Thread: My new Eastman MD-315

Default My new Eastman MD-315

Just got it ... ....it's just awesome , can't go wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020090.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	97301

Name:	P1020089.jpg 
Views:	1930 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	97302

Name:	P1020088.jpg 
Views:	1560 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	97303
    2014 LeBlanc #19

Default Re: My new Eastman MD-315

Ah ha! So you went with the Eastie. I know according to the km900/md315 thread that some think that its not even in the same league, but if you enjoy playing all styles of music like I do (bg, classical, blues, irish stuff, etc) its a great choice. A simple great sounding no frills lil' mando. The 'entry level' label they have really doesnt fit IMO. I see from your sig that you already have an A style so the scroll was definitely the way to roll, lol. Congrats.

3. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

I recently purchased one of those as my first mandolin because...well...I'm a newbie! I knew I didn't want to spend a fortune on a high-end mandolin when I'm still very much a student. At the same time I didn't want to go overly cheap on one and not get something that wasn't a quality instrument. This seemed like a really good marriage of the two camps.

Forgive a newbie question - mine didn't come with the small round discs under the bridge on each string. Are those for vibration cutdown or do they serve a purpose outside that?
    Last edited by torchsong; Feb-01-2013 at 1:19pm. Reason: Grammer

"small round discs"
    Tons of info about the what and what for
    I don't use them since the overtones or sympathetic tones sound better than my actual playing!

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    "small round discs"
    Tons of info about the what and what for
    I don't use them since the overtones or sympathetic tones sound better than my actual playing!
    I figured it had to have something to do with deadening the strings or something like that. Thanks!

Hey mandodanny...CONGRATS on the new Eastman . I'm a relative newbie myself but in the past year or so I've been able to play many different mandos - Webers , Kentucky's , Collings , etc...and quite a few Eastmans . I purchased an Md 305 a-style over several Kentuckys and others and never regretted it . Recently I sold the 305 to upgrade to the MD 315 - hearing it played by Adam on the MANDOLIN STORE web site pretty much sealed the deal for me . The other day I went 315 hunting downtown . Unfortunately many shops seem to be awaiting delivery of this one ( including many on-line dealers apparently ) so I will have to wait a bit . However I did get to play some higher end Kentuckys and Eastmans again and I have to say that to my ear ...the Eastmans still had them all beat . I found the Kentuckys ( 855 , 675 and 162 ) to be fairly 'lifeless" and harder to play after listening to the sparkle and tight projection of the Eastmans and playing the radiused necks . I think you made a wise choice not only in terms of value for dollar but in getting a real good quality , easy playing instrument with a terrific sound. I played my MD 305 for the best part of about 8 months and it justed sounded better all the time . Hopefully you'll find that with your 315 ......and hopefully I will too when I find the right one .

Hey roysboy,

Check out Elderly. I think they are one of the few with md-315s in stock.

I love mine!

Frank

There are handfull on eBay also, including this one with a starting bid of $600.oo.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mandolin-Eas...item27d0891c31

No bids, NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandodanny View Post
    Just got it ... ....it's just awesome , can't go wrong.

Name:	P1020090.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	97301

Name:	P1020089.jpg 
Views:	1930 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	97302

Name:	P1020088.jpg 
Views:	1560 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	97303
    MandoDanny,

Congrats! LMK how you feel the diffference in tone is between your 505 and 315. I can definitely tell that there's a significant diference in tone between my 515 and my 305; that being said though I absolutely love my 305. This mando is perfect for festivals etc. and is what I call a "Just Enough" mando:

How much woody tone does it have? Just Enough!
    How much bark on the chop? Just Enough!
    How much ease of action is on the neck? Just Enough!
    How much finish and binding does it have? Just Enough!
    How much set-up was on the mando right out of the box? Just Enough!
    How much overall playability does the mando have? Just Enough!
    How much weight and balance do you find in this mando? Just Enough!
    How much correct bridge angle/placement and intonation does it have? Just Enough!

My Eastman 305(little brother to your 315) - My "Just Enough" mando!

Enjoy Danny!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I have an Eastman 305 and love it! Like roysboy, I also played several other mandos and found the Eastman to have the best tone and action. I do have one complaint though....the finish is VERY delicate and scratches super easy. I'm thinking really hard about having my luthier coat it with something a little more durable, but believe that might affect the tone. I just started playing the mandolin in December and already know that I want to add an F style to my repertoire. My music store told me today that Eastman is in the middle of moving their factory or warehouse (can't remember which) and it is causing delays in getting more instruments. They said they're not expecting to get anything new from Eastman for several weeks, to a couple of months - they really didn't know when they would see new stock. So if you've found a mando you want, you better buy it, or risk waiting awhile.
    Late 2012 Eastman MD305
    Early 2012 Eastman MD605

Welcome to the Eastman club! can't imagine getting more bang for the buck.

AnitaM - is that one of those Bombardier Can-Am Spyders?

Quote Originally Posted by rb3868 View Post
    Welcome to the Eastman club! can't imagine getting more bang for the buck.

AnitaM - is that one of those Bombardier Can-Am Spyders?
    Yep, sure is - my other baby, besides my Eastman.
    Late 2012 Eastman MD305
    Early 2012 Eastman MD605

I assumed there was some kind of an issue with the Eastman production/shipping end of things . Thanks for the info Anita.
    I'm certainly no expert on mandolins so please take this observation for what it's worth .....I cannot hear what other mandolin cafe members seem to be hearing in KENTUCKY mandolins . I found them lacking character and they seemed a bit slow ( the instrument -not the players ..lol ), if that's the right word. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking them ...I'm just a bit surprised that they are so well - liked by much better players than myself .Mind you I haven't played their real high end instruments and perhaps that's the difference.
    I do wonder about finishes , though . Recently I jammed with a higher end Eastman mando ( MD 815 ) and it was much quieter than my MD 305 ...even it's owner seemed bewildered . It played beautifully set-up -wise ....just seemed quiet . I have found the same with many of the higher end Eastmans in the shops....all seemed quieter than the 'unfinished ' 305 and 315 F models. Saying all of this , though , I understand and appreciate that tone is in the ears of the beholders ....

I just got an MD 315 from Elderly and couldn't be much happier. I was skeptical about the "classic" finish but now love it. It's got that Bill Monroe looks. I'm a beginner to intermediate player and enjoy it's bright sound and great action.