Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D'Andrea Pro Plec Question

Default Re: D'Andrea Pro Plec Question

A few years ago I saw about 48 of them advertised at a very good price. Bought the lot; the large rounded triangle 1.5 mm. Lov'em. I like the dark sound they give.

For something a tad brighter, the Fender Extra Heavy fills the bill..........same rounded triangle. Just a bit thinner.

FWIW.

Here is one I use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pro Plec.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	97820  

I know Ronnie McCoury likes them.

I like those big Jazz Mando picks for guitar. My wife loves them when she plays mandolin, but as others have said, I find them too dark and dull. Give me an old Fender heavy any day. I even tried a Bluechip a few years ago and didn't connect with it.

As I mentioned in a diff post, both Ronnie McCoury and Sarah Jarosz said the proplec is their pick of choice (each in response to the question at their mandolin workshops at Wintergrass 2013).

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I was a Golden Gate guy for years on my acoustic & electric guitars.

When I took up the mando a few months ago, I found I needed a bit more of a point. I've been using the triangle Pro Plec, with a bit of a bevel sanded/buffed on the edge. Great pick.

Same here. I liked the sound better after I beveled the edge just a little, too.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Mike Marshall from Artist Works recommends the D'Andrea Pro triangle 1.5mm pick to all his students. I love em, and they are cheap. You can get 24 for $13.25 from Elderly Instruments.
    http://elderly.com/accessories/names...ak--PRO346.htm

However with this said, today I just won from here a few samples of the new V-pick, so I a am geaked about trying these rascals out.....I will let you know.

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

Tone wise, I've slowly learned what everyone else told me. Depends on the strings. I used flats for like 5 years and only thing that sounded good (to me) was the Wegen. Now I am on Elixirs and the Red Bear and V picks sounds like heaven to me. YMMV

Buy em all try em all!
    do good things

on acoustic I have been using the dandrea 358 1.5 pro plec fpr 20 years. can't find anything better. for the Mandostat I use the heavy Dunlop 205 or a stubby Surfpick

wanted to add that my old jazzmando 346, about 5 years old, WAS fairly rounded and a bit 'rough'

I took 220, 400, 600,(grit sandpaper) and novus plastic polish on felt and re-beveled it, mostly because of some comments about wear and bevels. I beveled opposite sides , ala BC speed bevel, ie bevel for the down stroke and one for the up stroke, reasonable sharp rounded point too, and careful with the bevel angle, like sharpening a knife.

I have to say, it now rivals my BC TAD 60 in slipperiness.
    The point isn't thrift, but rather, how important smoothness and bevel are to string contact and picking.

I am prone to use a pick a long time, until I lose it (rare) or it wears out-so one tends not to be aware of these subtle , slow changes, but I felt it immediately. They crash around in my pocket with keys and the like. And I never gave it any thought. Until now.

Which then begs the question, would/should one fine polish a pick to a slikness pick even when new,
    as I imagine that most are cut and crudely beveled-or are many molded and that's it?

Glass,

I've noticed that too. Also, the current shell Extra Heavy Fenders seem to have a slightly rounder shape than the older versions. A good pick but not up to the CT55 standard (for me, at least). Just can't drive it like with the CT55. Thinner too.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Some of the Extra Heavy Fenders are stiffer than others so choose the ones you like best.

I use the Jazz Mando Proplecs. Oh, that's right I do have a TS in my case somewhere. I forgot all about it.
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

I received a JazzMando 1.5mm 346 from Ted with an order of strings. I loved it so much I managed to source a few more - Pro-Plec's own brand of the same pick - in Bangkok. Very happy now.

Blog Entries

For every pick out there, you can find a star player that uses it, prefers it, recommends it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    The point isn't thrift, but rather, how important smoothness and bevel are to string contact and picking.
    Which then begs the question, would/should one fine polish a pick to a slikness pick even when new, as I imagine that most are cut and crudely beveled-or are many molded and that's it?
    I say yes, because for the reasons you note (crude cutting of many picks), you truly cannot get an appropriate idea of the sound potentials of a material unless and until it is polished smooth. I've been surprised many times by what a good beveling and polishing can reveal. One of my recently discovered favorites is a very inexpensive, deceptively plain looking and lousy sounding pick, if you use it as it's manufactured. But when I beveled the edges of it and polished it up, I found it actually sounds excellent on my flatwound strung mandolas.

That's not the first time I've noticed this phenomenon, either. In fact I believe this principle is the whole "man behind the curtain" that the "Great Oz of BlueChip" doesn't want folks to notice.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel