Thread: New member Gretsch New Yorker

Getting there!

Default New member Gretsch New Yorker

Hey guys, this is my first mando and my first thread on the cafe. Ive looked for other Gretsch mandos on here but havent found any so I thought I might post a picture of mine. I really dig the vintage clam shell tail peice. What do you guys think? I will also post a sound clip once I can play a bit smoother haha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	97671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 2.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	97672  

Blog Entries

Default Re: New member Gretsch New Yorker

I have not played a new Gretch New Yorker, and I don't know much about the new ones. I bid on a 1950s Gretch New Yorker mandolin once, because it would be so cool to own, but I didn't win the bid.

Looks good to me. How does it sound?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Getting there!

I think it sounds great but its just my opinion. I did play an 600 dollar Kentucky and then this and thought this sounded much better. Its all solid mahogany, I think that gives it a very rich sound.

That would have been a great buy too bad.

Getting there!

Oh and this was only 240.

Yes, they sound surprisingly good. I did not expect much from them, but the one I played beat the pants off any sub-$1000 import I have ever heard. The tone is more similar to an oval hole instrument than to an ff-hole instrument, probably due to the bigger body.
    I also like the fact that they don't have the plasticky feel of most pac-rim instruments. Enjoy it!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArtDecoMandos View Post
    Yes, they sound surprisingly good. I did not expect much from them, but the one I played beat the pants off any sub-$1000 import I have ever heard.
    Sub $1000? I thought these were sub $200. Could that be?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I would love to play one, but up here in Wis mandolins are rare. They look great though! More affordable good mandolins mean more players!
    Bulldog #24

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Love the picture of your tailpiece.
    Have fun.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

Sorry to be the stick in the mud but the one I played sounded thin and quiet compared to the Loar that was sitting right next to it. We know how that goes though, every one is different, but.....I just dont see how they can hang in the best import catagory under 1k at all IMO. Am happy for ya though and hope you get many moons of enjoyment from it.

Getting there!

Well I beleive the pick guard really blocks the sound this little thing can truly put out. Its sound has increased by many decibles since I removed it. Ray I wish you could play it to I have a blast with it
    "I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." - Jimmy Page

I was lucky to have a chance to try this exact one at local GC this morning.
    The look is superb, and the sound is as good as the KM-505 to my ears.
    The list price is 240$ (+tax). It's on my "to buy" list.
    The photo really shows this one does not have bindings and this really show the excellent workmanship where the top aand back joint the sides. Soo ... smooth.
    I agree the pickguard does not seem to fit here. I would remove it (I don't do strumming mandolin so no need for the pickguard, none of my mandolin has pickguard on it).
    LedZandolin, congratulation to your new mandolin. A great starting choice.

Looks sweet! Welcome to the Cafe!
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Where are these Guitar Center's that take the time to set up mandolins before putting them on the floor? I visited the one near me where they had (surprisingly) 6 mandolins out on the floor. None were close to being set up and every last one except the Mitchell A style sounded horrible. I'm not saying the Mitchell sounded great but it sounded much, much better than the Gretch that was there.

It is really unfortunate for me that I live in an area that doesn't support us mandolin players. But it's fortunate for you that you do. Enjoy your new mandolin I too like the nice sound of mahogany and wouldn't mind one sitting around the house to practice with.
    Eric

Those Gretsch look really nice. I hesistate to buy the model you have, finally I buy a The Loar 300. I was afraid that mahogany produce a quieter sound thant spruce. I love quiet-round sound but for playing ITM, I love punchy sound. I hope that you enjoy your instrument because it's a very nice look. And perhaps you can make a little video to let us ear the sound ? I must admit I'm curious of hearing it

I've got that mandolin, too. The only complaint I have (which I'll try to remedy next time have the strings off) is that the D strings snag a little bit in the nut, so it takes a bit longer to get them in tune. That's probably just mine, though.

As for the rumor of a guitar center that can set up a mandolin... I think that's an urban legend. I stopped by one this afternoon to play with their toys and didn't even bother with the few mandolins I could reach. I just swiped my fingernails across the strings to see how out of tune they were, then went and played with some resonators and banjos.

I think that you did quite well for your first mandolin, LedZandolin. I've played one and was impressed by the overall fit and finish of it. Intonation was dead on and it played very easy. Didn't sound like the Kentuckys or Loars that I have played...sounded more like some of the various brand 30's A models, except not as loud as the Strad-O-Lin's I've had my hands on. Keep it set up to suit your taste, experiment with strings, pics, etc. and find out what works best for you...and most important of all - play the thunder out of it!