Thread: Tailpiece question?

Default Tailpiece question?

I bought a very nice used Kentucky KM-700s. I am brand new to the mandolin world and this forum. This is my first post. My first question is I have a 700"s". I have also seen a 700 with out the "s" designation. What is the difference if any?. Second question. The previous owner "up graded" the tailpiece to an Allen one piece cast tailpiece. The problem is that it is gold while my tuners are nickel/silver? I would rather have a nickel/silver tailpiece to match the tuners. In my search, I thought I would just go back with the original Kentucky 2 piece tailpiece and make it all original again. I have heard though that the one piece cast offers a better tone? Would it really matter that much considering that tone has a lot to do with who's playing it. Since I'm a newbie at this, what is your opinion? I'm looking for a general over all consensus. One piece cast or the original 2 piece? What would you do?
    P.S. I like the look of the 2 piece. The one piece looks a little two "modern" for me.(IMO). I'll be playing mainly bluegrass style and I want the mandolin look to represent that?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tailpiece question?

Tail piece swaps offer a great advantage in ease of string change and cosmetics but a negligable (if any) change in tone. The most anyone has claimed is a difference in sustain increasing a tad, if at all. Even that may just be the difference of having new strings on after doing the swap. Most people dampen the strings (with leather or rubber gromets) between the bridge and tailpiece to keep them from ringing out any overtones.

You get a better tonal increase by having a good, well fit bridge, and a fresh set up, or by varying your strings, pick and technique.

Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Maybe you should offer your Allen TP in trade for an Kentucky TP here on the classifieds and see what happens?
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

If you do that, ask for some extra cash! Those are very different price point tailpieces.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks, great responses! Jamie; that's what I was thinking, TP tone has got to be negligible at best. Your right about, easier string change, I do like that. Steve; good idea on the trade idea, may be I'll just try to trade my gold Allen TP for a silver Allen/comparable TP? Also, thanks for showing me the abreviation TP. I was struggling with typing it out so many times in my original post! Ha.

Thanks for the warm welcome as well.

Any one else have any comments on the difference between the Kentucky 700 and the 700s?

700 vs 700S.....

Kentucky was using the "S" to designate all solid, or solid top construction. A few years back, they dropped the "S" from the solid models.

The KM-700 underwent a few changes over the years. The current versions have a radiused fingerboard.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Keep the Allen tailpiece!!!! If the mix of metal colors is an issue, upgrade your tuners!! An original Kentucky TP is pretty easy to come by. Keep the original parts and when (MAS is sure to come) you upgrade, you can put the higher end parts on a new mando. Your Kentucky can be put back in original shape and passed on to another player!

Folkmusician; 700 vs 700s, that makes a lot of since now, thanks. Bluejay; yeah, if the TP was not gold, I would just keep it. That's the problem, .....it's gold. In my personal preference, I lean more towards nickel.

Thanks again!

If you decide to just put a standard Gibson design tailpiece back on it make sure the one you buy is decent. Even though they look alike, they really are not. I have good luck with the Prucha tailpieces at Greg Boyd. You can also compare prices for the Allen's on this page.