Thread: Opinions of the Resocoil pickup that Eastman uses

Default Opinions of the Resocoil pickup that Eastman uses

Hey guys

I have a Shertner Resocoil in my Eastman 605 mandolin and I'm not real trilled with the sound of the pickup, it has a honky sound. I have it running through a mixer with limited eq but because of the XLR out don't have a preamp for it and don't feel like spending $400 on the Shertner preamp. I have thought about inserting an eq on the mixer channel but have yet to do that.

Who likes or dislikes this pickup?

What do some of you do to get a better sound out of it?

Has anyone used an adapter xlr to 1/4" adapter and fed it into a preamp? I'm a believer in keeping the signal as pure as possible and that conserns me

Default Re: Opinions of the Resocoil pickup that Eastman uses

The Reso-Coil is among the best pickups. It still sounds like a pickup though. What you are plugging into is much more important that the pickup and most pickups really need a good parametric EQ to dial in the tone.

The Reso-coil is a mic level signal, but it can be ran into a regular acoustic pre with good results. I sold a 605 to a local guy who gigs with it through an XLR-1/4" cable and into a LR-Baggs Venue. It sounds about as good as a pickup can.

The XLR-1/4" impedance adapters are meant to run a mic level signal into an instrument level (electric guitar) input. For that, it is beneficial, but if you are running into an Acoustic preamp with a 10 megaohm input, you do not need to bring the impedance down.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

one in my Mix A5 is fine.. 1/4" TRS jack , Balanced Cable and dual 3 contact XLR/1/4" TRS jack on the amp.

3 band EQ, roll off the Mid a bit, and it's all good.

You can use a Mic Pre , but one built into a Mixer channel is fine..

if there is an XLR jack on the instrument ,
    making an end change to TRS on a Mic Cable is easy..

I own a step Up Transformer to use Guitar amps ,
    it has a switch to bypass the transfomer ,
    to just short the cold and ground together , for TS/instrument. inputs.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks guys I may look into something like a Baggs para DI to tame the offending frequencies, my pa's eq is too basic to do any serious adjustments