Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arm Rests?

Default Arm Rests?

I've noticed some players use these. Curious as to the benefit. Is it just comfort, or does the arm rest help improve tone and response by keeping the arm mass off the body of the instrument?

Default Re: Arm Rests?

I have standardized to McClung armwrests on all of my mandos. For me they elevate my wrist to a more ergonomic position. More than just comfort, better efficiency.

The McClung is a great rest. I highly recommend it.

I can take 'em or leave 'em. I've asked this before, what on earth makes an arm rest great. It's just this little smooth piece of wood attached to your mando. Seems like anyone with some woodwork experience could knock one up in 15 minutes.

Sounds like player preference. If an increase in efficiency can be gained by some, that's worth looking into. I need all the help I can get in the efficiency department.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raggle Taggle View Post
    I have standardized to McClung armwrests on all of my mandos. For me they elevate my wrist to a more ergonomic position. More than just comfort, better efficiency.
    Exactly the same for me!!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Never used one; I believe it's to keep the mandolin from digging a groove into your forearm...I use a 6" wrist band for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I can take 'em or leave 'em. I've asked this before, what on earth makes an arm rest great. It's just this little smooth piece of wood attached to your mando. Seems like anyone with some woodwork experience could knock one up in 15 minutes.
    Try it.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Blog Entries

Well, maybe Old Sausage isn't so far off the mark in the fact that they are a piece of wood fixed to a violin chin rest. Simple enough but I use one and think it makes a difference. I know my Tone-Gard rocks. Maybe I'll take off the armrest and see what happens beside oiling up my finish where my arm meets the corner of the mando..

I have a question regarding both the armrest and the tone-guard. How to these attach to the mando without leaving markes, scratches or other damage? Was thinking about getting both for my new Collings which is shipping this week!!!
    (I think im going to crap my pants when I finally see the box at my door. Been waiting almost 5 months).
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Quote Originally Posted by Londy View Post
    I have a question regarding both the armrest and the tone-guard. How to these attach to the mando without leaving markes, scratches or other damage? Was thinking about getting both for my new Collings which is shipping this week!!!
    (I think im going to crap my pants when I finally see the box at my door. Been waiting almost 5 months).
    Better takes your pants off when you open the door!

To each their own. I love my McClung and as far as making one, I am not a woodworker and it would take several tries and plenty of cussing before I got it right. I also tried the wristband, didn't like the feel. Neither the MCClung or the Tonegard have left any marks on my mando.

More like a half hour to forty five minutes.

I like them quite a bit and think they keep my arm from damping the top.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Don't need one for my arch tops; invaluable for my flat top. Doug Edwards makes wonderful arm rests. Pretty insulting, or perhaps joking to think it takes 15 minutes. I did my own refinish; took a long time.

Carpe Mandolinium

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyjohnstone View Post
    I've noticed some players use these. Curious as to the benefit. Is it just comfort, or does the arm rest help improve tone and response by keeping the arm mass off the body of the instrument?
    I got a McClung for my Weber a couple of months ago (almost to the day). I was taking a chance, hoping that it would be a little more comfortable than the tailpiece digging into my arm, which wasn't as big a problem for me as some folks seem to have. I didn't expect much change in tone. I'd had a Tone-Gard since July and it had opened up the instrument wonderfully.

When I first used the armrest, it was actually a little uncomfortable because it changed the angle of my picking; so there was an adjustment period: about long enough to play four 2-octave scales . But now I'm much more comfortable with it.

But it really did open up the tone; response across the entire range of the instrument (I routinely play up to the 15th fret) improved immediately. For that alone, I'd say that it's worth having.

Quote Originally Posted by Londy View Post
    I have a question regarding both the armrest and the tone-guard. How to these attach to the mando without leaving markes, scratches or other damage? Was thinking about getting both for my new Collings which is shipping this week!!!...
    You can go to the websites for Tone-Gard and Hill Country Stringworks (maker of the McClung armrest) and see how these things attach.

The Tone-Gard grasps the sides from the back in just three places, and the contact points are padded. The armrest goes on with violin chinrest hardware. If you follow the instructions for mounting them, neither should do any major damage to your instrument.

It's entirely possible that long-term use might cause some finish wear; I can't comment on that from experience because I haven't had either too terribly long. But I haven't seen any mars at all.

But I figure that I bought my mandolin to be played, and some playwear is inevitable anyway. Looking at it from another angle: The armrest protects the top of my instrument from finish deterioration from the perspiration on my arm, and the Tone-Gard protects the back from button and belt buckle scratches; so whatever minor damage they might cause over the long haul may well be compensated for by the damage not done with them in place.
    Last edited by John McCoy; Feb-10-2013 at 7:39pm. Reason: typo
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

It takes a little more than fifteen minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walnut.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	98191

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Doug Edwards For This Useful Post:

Oh look of course I didn't say anyone could make one as nice as yours in 15 minutes, I just said one could make a smooth piece of wood which could serve as an arm rest in 15 mins.

[QUOTE=Rockyjohnstone;1133091]I've noticed some players use these. Curious as to the benefit. Is it just comfort, or does the arm rest help improve tone and response by keeping the arm mass off the body of the instrument?[/QUOTE

Attached arm rest to protect finish of mandolin from sweat, wear etc. Comfort is a bonas, why not have one?

Ed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Never used one; I believe it's to keep the mandolin from digging a groove into your forearm...I use a 6" wrist band for that.
    Me too. It also protects the finish from arm sweat etc., during the short sleeved season.

See also Ron Thomason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ron_Thomason.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	98192  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Oh look of course I didn't say anyone could make one as nice as yours in 15 minutes, I just said one could make a smooth piece of wood which could serve as an arm rest in 15 mins.

Try it! lol.. I'm challenge you to make an armrest in 15 minutes no matter what the level of fit and finish. I think it would be fun to see what you come up with.

Right, I will. I have to say right now that I am terrible at woodwork of any kind, so there's a good chance the result will be hilarious. Any votes for what I should make it out of? Oh, and where's the cheapest place to buy the hardware?

Also, I would like to make it clear that I am not some kind of weird arm rest hater, in fact I have one on my main mando, and to me it seems just very slightly better than not having one. Mainly my question was trying to find out if there was anything beyond being pretty that people looked for in an armrest, or whether the function of elevating the fleshy part of ones lower arm by a few millimeters and marginally improving comfort are the only goals.

I've been using arm rests of all makes and sizes for about the last 4 years and I like them. I think it helps relax the arm allowing more attack on the strings, more ease of movement. Can't say which brand I prefer as makers do not put their mark on them but I'm partial to those Dude handcrafted maple ones in hand rubbed cremona finish. Here you can see me in action with a smaller arm rest on an older Gibson F5 mandolin. The very last of the video you can clearly see it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8OduSZWL0
    And here you can see me with a bigger arm rest on my Kentucky 1000:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
    PS: I use to use the sock/tennis band thingy but the material would catch on the tailpiece cover and make a mess of shreaded threads and threads would catch on it. I was ripping into the high 1st part of Rawhide at the original Big Mon 1951 speed when my sock string caught the cover and slung it off hitting a nice sweet little old lady on the front row in the breast. She thought I was making a "pass" at her. Since then I no longer wear socks on my arm when picking. They kinda look sillly too. And you get asked "did you sprang your arm?" question a lot.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    They kinda look sillly too. And you get asked "did you sprang your arm?" question a lot.
    Well there is some truth to that. I just tell them it covers my psoriosis and they leave me alone.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have a mando with one that I have had a few days, two mando's without. Right now it just feels weird but the jury is still out, I think it might grow on me. I don't know if it makes any difference in sound as it has never been off.

I've made all of my own. They took more time than that, only because all of the sanding and polishing was done by hand.

Benefits: preventing soiling and wearing the finish down on the instrument and tailpiece; keeping my hand and wrist farther away from the top and therefore keeping me from damping the bridge, as I do without it - resulting in better tone.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel