Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Springtime Ohio Mandolin Get-Together

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Default Re: Springtime Ohio Mandolin Get-Together

Too late to jump in? My wife and I had tomorrow afternoon bookmarked for yard work, but it is supposed to rain so I'm thinking a road trip (from Pittsburgh) might be in order. We have a camp near Andover, Ohio and I've attempted to meet a couple of you in the NE Ohio area, but it never seems to work out. I'll probably mingle more than play, but you never know. I can bring a few mando's and a guitar or two.
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

The more the merrier! I,m planning on having fun! Hope you can make it.

Come on over man! should be a blast!!! See yall there
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

4. The following members say thank you to Londy for this post:

I'm going to have to bring a notebook to record mandolincafe user names of everyone I meet today. May be 10+ of us!

Eric

edit: and I picked up my tenor banjo yesterday afternoon so that should be fun.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric C. For This Useful Post:

Hey, I am trying to plan the next jam that I will be hosting and would like feedback on dates that work for everyone. I am thinking the following:
    Aug 25, or Sept 1, or Sept 22, or Sept 29th. Please let me know what works and I will provide a new forum with all the details on this fun-filled event.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Londy For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to thank everyone involved in the Wellington get-together. Thanks to those who hosted it and those that took the time and trouble to drive so far to join the little group. It was a lot of fun for me.

Obviously, it was an eclectic group to say the least. A lot of the music that was played was far beyond my capabilities. Thanks for taking it down a notch every now and then so I could jump in with my three chord hillbilly stuff!

I look forward to seeing you all again sometime in the future.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

I second the sentiment, it was loads of fun, and Mandolee was the highlight for me ! I will plan on trying to host something down here in the Cleveland Akron area later in the summer.
    John
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldwave For This Useful Post:

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

I was just about to post the same thing! Thanks to all involved at the Wellington get together. I had a great time. It was fun to sit back and hear the different songs being called out and doing my best to follow along watching the hands / chord changes from whoever called it out! I just wish the picking would have been longer than the drive! When the phone starts blowing up...it's time to go. Some of us really should get together at our camp this summer and play by the lake or around the campfire. Think about how far it would be for you to Andover, Ohio (on Pymatuning Lake). Keep it in the back of your minds anyway. Thanks again.

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chunky But Funky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky But Funky View Post
    I was just about to post the same thing! Thanks to all involved at the Wellington get together. I had a great time. It was fun to sit back and hear the different songs being called out and doing my best to follow along watching the hands / chord changes from whoever called it out! I just wish the picking would have been longer than the drive! When the phone starts blowing up...it's time to go. Some of us really should get together at our camp this summer and play by the lake or around the campfire. Think about how far it would be for you to Andover, Ohio (on Pymatuning Lake). Keep it in the back of your minds anyway. Thanks again.

Doug
    Thats sounds great Doug, I know the area and its not far from me. Let everyone know.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

Blog Entries

I'll add my thanks all the way around too. What a GREAT TIME!
    Thanks especially to Eric for securing the venue and planning everything.
    It was a marvelous day...Great people, LOTS of talent, great instruments, and great fellowship.
    I learned so much today...Thanks!
    Can't wait for the next get-together!
    Ed
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

17. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

Wow, what a good time. There ended up being.... twelve of us from the cafe showing up throughout the day? Thanks everyone for coming out. Not sure where Andover is at but I'll be there!

The establishment owners wanted me to thank everyone for coming by, they had a wonderful time listening to everyone.

Mandolinleee, I'm so glad you were able to make it this time and I hope you enjoy your day sightseeing in Cleveland today, even with this rain.

I'm really happy we had such a great turnout this time around and I think a thanks is in order to mandolincafe for giving us mandolin folks a place to orgainze such events. Without this site, this kind of stuff wouldn't happen.

Eric

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric C. For This Useful Post:

Hi to the Wellington Crowd -

WOW what a great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. Eric C thanks for your organization of this event.

Also, a big THANK YOU to all the musicians that showed up. It was a fun event. I am glad I got to meet all of you.

A quick apology for my breathing problems, just something I have to live with.

It would be fun to get with you again to work out some tunes. Hoping that happens.

A big thank you to the Red Iron Bar & Grille for hosting us.

It was worth 150 miles of rainy highway.

Regards,
    Lee

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandolinlee For This Useful Post:

To all the folks that lament on the 'Cafe that they don't have anyone to play with, go re-read this thread.

Put up a invitation for players in your area, find a venue and hold an event.

This started with three players last Fall and grew into 12 - 13 players yesterday.

Eric C had a good idea for this get-together and it was successful. Now future events are being considered.

Thanks, again Eric, Ed and Londy and everyone else.

Lee

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolinlee For This Useful Post:

Here is a photo of some of us a buddy of mine took (unknowingly).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130428_153551.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	101411

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric C. For This Useful Post:

Thanks again to Eric and his band and everyone who showed up. That was a great time! Looking forward to the next one. I was thinking that maybe a small dry erase board would have come in handy to scribble down some of the more complex chord changes.
    Just an idea.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Hulse For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1-2-many View Post
    ...snip... I was thinking that maybe a small dry erase board would have come in handy to scribble down some of the more complex chord changes. Just an idea.
    This is an outstanding idea. Let's do it next time.
    Last edited by Ed Goist; Apr-29-2013 at 11:20am.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

i too had a GREAT time. was great to put faces with the cafe handles. the fact that the band was there to anchor things made it so much easier. that was a great idea and it was very nice of them to do it. as to that 3 chord hillbillies comments, if i had your voice i'd sell my mandolin & guitars and just sing. i thought everything went smoothly. everyone fit in, everyone played & communicated. that's what it's all about. i've been to too many things where it was more of an open mike thing. someone would play, then someone else etc.... it was nice to be in a good old jam. brought back a lot of memories. i will be at the next one, and the next one and the next one.
    londy, as for your get together, i don't plan ahead so any date is good for me. start praying that the fish bite and i can stock pile some.-hermie/dwilken

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwilken For This Useful Post:

as i reread my post i see it could be read into it that i was slamming flatrock hillbilly and telling him to sell his mando!!!!!! not what i meant. he is an excellent musician. i was just sooooooo impressed with his voice. he and the guitar player from the band had voices i would kill for----hermie

Doggone-it Hermie, I misunderstood and already gave away my mandolins and guitar!
    Only kidding of course. Thank you for the compliment. I never took it to be 'slamming' in any way.
    I do like to sing my old country/bluegrass/rockabilly songs. Problem is sometimes I don't know when to shut up and give the other guys a turn.
    I really did have a great time hearing all the different styles of playing and it was lots of fun to meet the people from this friendly forum.
    Gotta thank Doug for 207 and the 'Stubby'. I'm still pretty new to the mandolin and I love trying new picks!

Quote Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
    I second the sentiment, it was loads of fun, and Mandolee was the highlight for me ! I will plan on trying to host something down here in the Cleveland Akron area later in the summer.
    John
    That would be great John. I will be hosting one as well. I posted some dates in Aug or Sept for folks to let me know what works best. I look forward to your event!!!

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

I also wanted to give a loud shout out to Eric for arranging such a GREAT time with all the wonderful people that showed up. This group was a lot of fun to play with and provided much variety in music. Thanks for inviting me and will definitely attend again.

PS: I will be hosting an event as well. I just need to assess which dates work best for most.
    Aug 25, or Sept 1, or Sept 22, or Sept 29th. Please let me know what works and I will provide a new forum with all the details on this fun-filled event.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

35. The following members say thank you to Londy for this post:

Thanks for all the nice comments.

A dry erase board sounds like a good idea to me. I brought 4-5 copies of several songs I play, some paper to create a sign-in sheet and a camera and got so excited making music forgot and left them all in the car.

On the ride home, I mentioned to my wife 2 things we were missing: there were no female mandolinists or left-handed players.

Thanks, again for a great day and I look forward to "doin' it all again."

Lee

37. The following members say thank you to mandolinlee for this post:

Londy 

Folks, I need to confirm 2 dates for the September Jam I will be hosting. Which date is better, Sept 21st or 22nd. I was not sure if people could make Saturday the 21st due to folks gigging. Please let me know and I will confirm with all the event details.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1