Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lynn Dudenbostel article

Jim....i'm a bit off topic here but do you have any pix of that Davis A style?

Wanna be manodlin player

Lynn, Thanks for your side of things. While I haven't had the pleasure to play one for myself, you do have a reputation of being one of the best. However, as an owner of a Dudette strap for my mandolin, you have instilled the quality and craftsmanship in your daughter. Keep up the good work, maybe one of these days, I'll donate to your cause with my own Dude.
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

Thanks for the kind words Ron. I just read your post to Lauren (the famous strap maker) and she's just beaming! I guess it goes without saying, I'm very proud of her.

Lynn

Wanna be manodlin player

your welcome. You should be very proud of Lauren, I not only recommend them to others, I'll be buying another one this year sometime for my other mandolin.
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Mr. Dudenbostel,

It was great to hear from you a little bit how the mandolin making business goes. #If my wife knew that you had the chance to work with Andy Leftwich, it may just convince her to let me quit my job to learn how to make mandolins.

I was hoping that this thread would talk a little bit about how it must feel to be compared to Lloyd Loar. #So, what is that like? #I imagine it is pretty incredible.

-John.

Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

Thanks Buckley. First of all, I'd like to say what a pleasure it's been getting to know Andy. He's really a fine young man and a great talent. As far as comparisions to Loar, I think Guy Hart and Lloyd Loar were real innovators. I don't see myself in the same light as these gentlemen. I've simply studied what they did back in the early '20's. Fortunately they left a couple of hundred good "teachers" for us to learn from. They got the formula right.... I'm just attempting to approach the standard they set. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder, and to my ear, the Loar era instruments are my favorite. From not only a sound, but an aesthetic standpoint as well, there is no instrument more beautiful... at least to me! I feel honored that my instruments are well thought of, but I don't ever see myself breaking new ground like these guys did.

Lynn

Lynn-You are a really good sport, watching a bunch of people arguing about how much money you earn, and stepping up to tell your story. IMHO you are one of those shining stars who deserves to reap great wealth for what you do. Still, with the family you describe and the ability to produce the instruments you do, you are already a very rich man.

Lynn--I agree with Brookside. It would be wonderful if you COULD get $25,000 for every mandolin on your waiting list. The fact that you won't and you build them anyway is a testament to the kind of person you are. Reading your responses, I kept thinking, "This guy and me would really get along well." I like your whole attitude about the kids , family and your career in general. I've spent years being a musician, studio owner and songwriter and was the "day" parent, always there to drive the kids or help them until I went to the night gig.

One other thing I would like to say is a personal thank you for the photo essay on building mandolins. Seems to be several places on the net right now. I can't rell you how many times I have used those pictures and descriptions while I have been building my first F5 and it has been priceless. I'm no "Dude" yet, but I have certainly learned a lot from your generosity and contributions. For that I thank you. And I hope the day comes soon when you can build and sell your mandolins for market price. You are a good man and deserve every penny.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone

Blog Entries

I'll second the quality of the Dude mandolins straps made by Lynn's daughter. They're kickin cool! I also have one of Lynn's mandolin specific string-winders and it's like a miniature piece of functional art. Beautiful wood, nice stain/finish, etc. Then there's my Dude t-shirt so I have three Dudes! Just missing the mandolin. Darnit.

My Dudette strap is often praised. Folks play my mandolin and are surprised when it doesn't stretch like most braided straps will.. Good work Dudette!
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Thanks Lynn....
    I also have a Dudette strap. Love it!
    I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

Thanks for the kind words. I'll drag Lauren down here to read them later. The kids are out of school today. We have a couple of inches of snow on the ground already. That's fairly rare around here. I'll add, in addition to Lauren's strap business, she works at the barn a couple of days a week where her horse is boarded, has over 2 1/2 years of perfect attendance and straight A's in school. She's a freshman in high school with her sights set on vet school. She has almost completed the work for her Girl Scout silver award too. My 11 year old, Andrew, just won a county wide poetry contest in the 4, 5, and 6 grade division. He wrote a poem called "Silence" becasue there was absolutely "nothing on his mind"! Matthew (8) has a big interest in music. For his 8th birthdat, he wanted a StewMac campfire mandolin kit! Guess we'll put in an hour or so on that today. Maybe I'll even have help in the shop someday! I'm proud of them all.

Lynn

Lynn, I know it usually goes without being spoken, but I bet those children are pretty proud of their parents as well. Also, I can just see your eyes light up and the glowing look on your face as you write about your family. I'm sure, as others have said here as well, that your wealth is measured not monetarily, but in family love.

Oh, and keep building those beautiful F5 works of art.

Jim Watts