Thread: RIP Kelly Lancaster

Blog Entries

Default RIP Kelly Lancaster

A friend to many, many people has passed away today and I mourn the loss of my friend and musical influence. He was a unique individual that contributed so much whenever he was around and brought so much excitement with his playing. I've never met anyone that could lit a jam circle on fire like Kelly. His recording Maydelle's Reel with always be in my mind and his generosity and willingness to talk, play, teach and share with others was phenomenal. He was always quick with a compliment when jamming together and made beginners feel comfortable.

Those that knew Kelly for even a short time knew he was different, full of quirks and a musical encyclopedia of knowledge no matter the instrument or genre. He always told everyone "You're the man!" and "I wanna be you!" and always with a great big smile and a handshake that sometimes lasted longer than the conversation.

What a great guy. I'm very sad to have him gone, so glad he is out of pain and very happy to have called him my friend. We used to have long conversations talking about all kinds of topics but we always touched on GOD. He was a strong believer and I'm comforted by that. So until we meet again.

Love ya, Kelly.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

2. The following members say thank you to greg_tsam for this post:

Default Re: RIP Kelly Lancaster

Greg, so sorry to hear about your friend. A week and a half ago one of our music friends died suddenly, it was a shock to know that we will never hear his vioce again.

Kelly sounds like a wonderful person, I trust you will hold him in your heart when you play.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I've no knowledge of Kelly except the video of him playing Blackberry Blossom you posted a few weeks ago. It was great! The world is a poorer place without his music. Glad I got to hear it. Thanks Kelly where ever you are , I started playing that song again because of that video. RIP
    Jim Richmond

So very sorry to hear of Kelly's passing. It seems such a shame that such immense talent and knowledge are lost to all of us forever. He sounded like a really wonderful human being. God and all the heavenly hosts are enjoying him now. RIP, Kelly.

Tom
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

A very sad day for anyone who knew Kelly. There was no sweeter or kinder person on the face of the earth. He and Dave Peters are reunited to play music for the angels now.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

I've known Kelly for many years and I miss him. The last time I played with him was last November. When he arrived at the party he proceeded to throw gasoline on the jam.

Kelly had an incredible memory. If it had been 5 years since he picked with you, he would remember all of the songs you led and in which you played them. He would ask that you do 'em again.

Greg, I hope to meet you some day and pick some tunes with you.

9. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

Blog Entries

You're right about Kelly's memory. He surprised me more than once with his recall. And as far as throwing jam into overdrive, there was no one better than Kelly. His knack for entertaining and picking were just awesome. Jim mentioned he hadn't heard of kelly before so I'd encourage you to google him and find out more about him. He's on several tunes on youtube with many different groups.

He was well known at Winfield for a time, placed there several times, was the Texas Mandolin Champion 2007 and toured with Willie Nelson and Butch Baldassari recorded his tune Maydelle's Reel which the Shaw brothers played at Winfield when they won. The man could tear up a mandolin like nobody's business but played the guitar even better. But he really shined in a totally improvisational setting where his abundance of energy and talent could be unleashed. Dave Peters was his very good friend and someone he admired above all and missed everyday. Dave's name always seemed to pop up in our conversations and always in the most shining way.

Those that knew Kelly for even a brief while knew he was different. Remarkable and quirky but the generous, friendly and forgiving spirit is what continued to draw people in. He was so supportive and he meant it. Never did I see him begrudge someone for being below his level but, on the contrary, he always complimented them even if they had just began.

But his stage presence was just infectious. The night before his passing, this past Saturday, our mutual friend Randy Powell gave me his CD Fiddler's Fancy and I recommend it to everyone. The players are outstanding. Randy powell, Bobby Hicks, David Grier, Scott Vestal, Barry Bates, David Peters, Kelly Lancaster, Randy Lindly. I've listened to it 4 times since find myself laughing at some of Kelly's riffs that I know and love so much. Dave is really on fire on this CD as well and the two of them together makes you understand why they were so special when playing together. If it's not available online anywhere then PM me and I will get in touch with Randy personally.

11. The following members say thank you to greg_tsam for this post:

Blog Entries

Here's a house jam. Ya, baby!

Blog Entries

enjoy.

Blog Entries

I sat in with this group but only if Kelly agreed to keep playing. It was fun. Here's a link to a playlist of Kelly Lancaster videos. There are more out there if you search his name. The tayHoss ones are nice.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dllOxAcxJ6AZ-t

Blog Entries

One of my favorites.

16. The following members say thank you to greg_tsam for this post:

Greg, you're bringing back some fond memories of my Houston days. Jam sessions with Kelly, Dave, Randy Powell, Chris Bagley. Chris has turned into a fine guitar player. Always loved Randy's fiddling. Anytime Kelly and Dave were there, it turned up the heat quite a bit.

Kelly was tough on strings. At that time I played a Kentucky KM-850 and had it for 17 years. Never broke a single string the entire time I owned that mandolin. Kelly borrowed it at a festival jam one time and broke two strings in 30 minutes.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Kelly was a beautiful soul. I've been watching a video of him and Vlad playing with Danielle at the old King Biscuit. It's just full of, well, Kelly. I'll miss playing with him. So much energy, so many notes, and Kelly being Kelly 100000%. Playing with TayHoss was always a treat, we started the Houston bluegrass jam together, its still going strong under Chris Hirsch's watchful eye. I just can't really wrap my head around him being gone. He was such a force of nature all the time.

Here's one I found floating around on facehook yesterday, hope the link works. Man, he is a monster! Really wish I could have met him, would loved to have picked a tune or two and chatted about Dave. Hope they're pickin' "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" right now.

2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

Blog Entries

I started a facebook group for the purpose of communicating with people who knew Kelly personally, professionally or just saw him at gigs. It is an open group but you must be invited by a member or ask to join. If anyone wants to join just ask.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/334410290012365/

This is very sad news. Kelly was an amazing musician. He once told me that he believed he would see Dave Peters again in the next world. I hope he was correct and that they are playing together again right now. Please add/invite me to that facebook group.

22. The following members say thank you to RogerC for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
    This is very sad news. Kelly was an amazing musician. He once told me that he believed he would see Dave Peters again in the next world. I hope he was correct and that they are playing together again right now. Please add/invite me to that facebook group.
    He believed that and we talked about Dave almost everytime we spoke. Yesterday I got to go thru a bunch of albums from the 80's and 90's with Dave and Kelly together and even a few videos of them jamming.

RogerC please let me know your name so I can add you or follow that link above and ask to join and I can add you that way.