Thread: unseasonably large tortoise shell pick?

Boise ID (but a native californian through and through)

Question unseasonably large tortoise shell pick?

So I recently got an old old Vega Banjo-Mandolin (1909) and in its original case were three tortoiseshell picks - one of which is like two and a half times larger than the others & shaped a bit like an elongated "teardrop" pick. I'd never seen or heard of picks this big so I sorta dismissed it as a novelty gag for a while but it turns out its very playable and sounds rad.

Does anyone know if such large picks are a turn-of-the-century thing? or a tortoise thing? or a fluke? or what???

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: unseasonably large tortoise shell pick?

Now put that trussrod cover back into the case...

Photo?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Destroyer of Mandolins

Check around in the Classical section. I'm not sure, but I remember those guys talking about very elongated picks used for classical playing. I think they called them 'Neapolitan' picks or a word like that. There are some Asian instruments that use very large plectrums, but I doubt those would be found with a mandolin.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Real tortoise shell?

What a good thing (for tortoises and turtles) we've developed plastics, nylons and such like!

Yes, I think you have a Neapolitan pick. There is also the Roman style pick, roughly 3 inches long but with two sharp points on either end. There is the Pettine pick made of celluloid which he made in a very small style and a larger one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picks_schildpatt.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	98603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picks_pettine_640.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	98604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	classical_mando_sm.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	98605  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, I think you have a Neapolitan pick. There is also the Roman style pick, roughly 3 inches long but with two sharp points on either end. There is the Pettine pick made of celluloid which he made in a very small style and a larger one.
    (the two pick photos on the left are from Michael Reichenbach's site.)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, that double-ended pick is interesting .. almost like an Oud plectrum.

Standard pick for Ranieri style classical playing. Ralf Leenen is a virtuoso of this style of playing.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Do they not usually grow as large in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Do they not usually grow as large in the winter?
    It's just hard to find enough salt, pepper and paprika for the soup.

Taken from the Forum Guidelines:

•Posts dealing in the sale or transfer of tortoise-shell products protected by the 1973 Endangered Species act are not allowed and will be removed. This includes picks made from "antique" shells.

I understand the the OP is not attempting to sell or transfer any prohibited item. I do wonder though, whether his inadvertant acquisition of those items is in any way a violation of that 1973 act. Are you even allowed to own them now?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Now put that trussrod cover back into the case...
    Maybe its the pickguard?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I think you can own them but not sale or transfer and I would not travel with any. I had found an article about the subtleties of the law but can't seem to locate it at the moment.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Some degree of "inadvertent transfer" of prohibited materials is inevitable, when acquiring antique instruments. I acquired a broken-but-repairable bowlback mandolin last year, by rescuing it from a trash pile at the town dump. It has a tortoise pickguard. As rabid a defender of hawksbill turtles as I am (see previous posts here), I wasn't going to let that mandolin end up in the local landfill, just to avoid the transfer of ownership.

The forum rules are there for a reason, but since we do sometimes deal with antique instruments (and in some cases, picks) made of this material, I think a certain degree of discussion might be allowed in a historical, non-mercantile, context. That's up to the forum owner and mods of course, just tossing my $.02 in there.

Thanks Guys,
    Since I posted that question, I did some research myself. After reading (or at least trying to read) that Act of 1973, my conclusion is that there is no clear answer. If I read it correctly, even simple possession could be considered a violation. The exception would be the age of the material (over 100 years), and the manner in which it was acquired. Although it sounds like the burdon of proof would fall on the prosecution, that may not be the case.

This discussion is actually about the size and shape of the pic, not really the material. There were celluloid picks in that shape made even in the 1920s. I don't even know that the OP knows for sure that the pick in question is genuine TS.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: