Thread: 2011 Collings MT on ebay

Default 2011 Collings MT on ebay

There is a 2011 Collings MT on ebay for $1599.99
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Colling...item27cffcada9

It says it was a floor model in music store and comes with case. What does everyone think of this price? I think used ones do run upwards of $1500 but just curious what others think.

Default Re: 2011 Collings MT on ebay

It's an auction so that price may go up. $1,600 is a good price for a used one, $2,000 is not.

Why are there no pic's of the back?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

If it doesn't have a back then $1,600 is not a good price...

Eddie, $1600 is definitely low...this is another one - $2500 new less 10%. It appears to be a new 'floor model' in mint condition. So if it is previously unsold, has the full warranty, 2k would be a good price. It If you could get it for $1600, I need to take you along next time I go shopping for old Martins.

I have had several old Martins - I sold the A styles for ~$650 and one B style for $900. I buy and sell under market price.

Yes, if it has the Warranty (and I don't mean a blank warranty card that's being passed on) and you are in the market for a NEW Collings MT then $2,000 is probably ok. I buy and sell USED, and my buy-price for a USED MT is $1,600. Frankly, I think Rigels are better value.

BTW, did you miss the part about "... if it does not have a back..." in reference to Charles E. who said there were no pics of the back...

It went for $1,675 - close enough for you, Doc?

Yes Eddie...I was thinking it would be a deal at $1700 for the buyer. For the seller...not so much. Maybe Rigels are a better value, but it seems the traditional market doesn't see it that way. As you mention you are in the business of buying & selling..the $1600 makes sense, but if I bought a new instrument for 10 off 2500 & sold it for 1600 a year later, i couldn't help feel that i was taking a bath.

Just like a new car, drive it off the lot and kiss a lot of bucks goodbye... Buy it to keep, and who doesn't, and it's money well-spent. I have several instruments that were custom-built for me and the two I sold I took a bath - that's life. But buying used you should be able to keep the value for when you trade/sell it to move up. I'm not a dealer, I do catch and release. I get to own and play a variety of instruments and then I move them on and get some more... I sometimes make a few bucks and sometimes break even, I only lose on instruments I buy new. As long as I can cover my shipping expenses I'm happy.
    And I didn't determine the sell-price of the MT, the seller did. He could have put a reserve on it to protect a higher price - but then it wouldn't have sold. The bottom line is nobody wanted to pay more than $1,675 for it. I'll bet that his "NO RETURNS ACCEPTED" was a major influence. That's why I always offer a 48-hr trial period.

Fair enough Eddie, Today that's what the market said. I also do know several instances where it doesn't. I participate in a Large format photography forum & there is a certain participant who consistently low ball offers on items for sale. On the other hand when he's selling...prices are high. He does catch some fish...on the other hand i know people who won't sell to him. In the world of vintage ('30s-'40s) Martins I know there is an active back channel. If you're lucky enough to get the opportunity to see some of these guitars, & you low-ball....there is no chance you'll be offered that chance another time. So the way i see it an item has a range & if you're always bidding at the bottom of the range...then sometimes you cut yourself out...but then again it depends on what a person is in it for. In the case of the Collings MT, if the seller was an authorized Collings dealer...he won't be for long. In the case of the buyer. Good score.

Oh, I thought you meant Martin Mandolins - I don't "do " guitars. I bid on Ebay items -I have a price in mind and I stick to it - if I win I win, but I'm always taking a chance on the quality of the instrument. Low-balling doesn't come into it. I have a good 'feel' for what an instrument will sell for (and to sell it quickly I have to sell for under that value), therefore I have to acquire it for less. I really only go after instruments I want to play for a while and I have a limited budget. I have never bought a mandolin for more than $3,500 - maybe someday I'll 'consolidate' into a single instrument.

I'm the one who got it for $1675....... Hopefully it really is in "mint" condition!

Congrats, and if you decide to move it on you should get at least that -then there's shipping... Right now it's a buyers market but that could change - I hope so - a rising tide lifts all boats...

Nice score. It looks good. Let us know when you receive it... the wait begins.

Eddie, I like your "Expensive kindling with strings photos" some fine examples there.

Thank you, most of them have moved on. I do have some nice new(er) animals in the stable these days...

[QUOTE=Eddie Sheehy;1138152

BTW, did you miss the part about "... if it does not have a back..." in reference to Charles E. who said there were no pics of the back...[/QUOTE]

I always like to see the back wood on a mandolin being offered for sale. I just admire nice figure in Maple.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I hear you Charles, I was funnin'

19. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

wow... if it really is a mint floor model as-described you got a steal... espcially if it still comes with the new warrantee. A new instrument at a used-instrument price. I bought my new MT last May for about 2400 from a local store. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine!

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

The MT was delivered today - looks brand new and amazing how nice it sounds and plays. So excited that I scored a Collings for a great price. I was worried about buying something on eBay but this turned out fine!

Blog Entries

They are sweet mandolins, enjoy!
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Congrats. I want one.