Thread: Randy Wood

Default Randy Wood

We were at our typical Saturday Jam at Randys shop today, afterwards I got to play one of his new mandolins. I must say I was IMPRESSED.... If I wasnt a builder myself, thats the one I would get. That thing will peel paint...wow NFI Barry

Default Re: Randy Wood

I was there too. After the jam Randy invited us back into the shop to test his two latest builds. Barry and I have been lucky enough to play pretty much everything that Randy has built over the past several years. I might add that I am lucky enough to play everything that Barry builds too. None of Randy's mandolins are bad but this one stood out from the crowd. It's one from his stripped down satan finish line. Well worth the money. I already own a Randy Wood - and a Bulldog. But if I were a rich man.... Next up for Randy is a couple of mandolas.

Dennis Satterlee

Blog Entries

One of the best mandolins I have ever played was a F12 revoiced by Randy Wood. Wow.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Randy has been a master of building the F5 for a long time now. He got it when others were trying to get it.

Randy had a trade stall at the '92 IBMA festival in Owensboro.I was fortunate enough to be around when Doyle Lawson showed up & played a few of the mandolions that Randy had on display. I'd been sat playing a banjo that a guy i'd met left me with & had an impromptu jam session with Doyle. I wasn't playing mandolin at the time,but they surely sounded wonderful.He has a richly deserved reputation as a high class builder,that's for sure,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Like Jasona said, one of the best sounding mandolins that I have ever played was a 1937 Gibson F-7 that was a conversion to an F-5by Randy.....The owner posts on here from time to time....

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by osb1945 View Post
    It's one from his stripped down satan finish line. Well worth the money.
    Dennis Satterlee
    Ah, the ol' Satan finish. Finished with soul, I suppose. You can buy one at hi sho at the Crossroads.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

8. The following members say thank you to dcoventry for this post:

I have wanted a randy wood mandolin for a long time . I have yet to find a randy tree to mill the lumber from

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    I have wanted a randy wood mandolin for a long time . I have yet to find a randy tree to mill the lumber from
    Heck, they're easy to find. They're the straightest ones in the forest.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

11. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

I really did intend for this to be a serious comment on a very nice mandolin.....yea well, I tried... bk

I took your comments seriously.As a matter of fact when I first read your comments about the mandolin I thought that it was a nice gesture coming from someone who builds a great mandolin himself.Your comments really makes me want to play a RW mando myself.So thanks for the your commendation about what I am sure is a great mandolin built by a great person.

Quote Originally Posted by barry k View Post
    We were at our typical Saturday Jam at Randys shop today, afterwards I got to play one of his new mandolins. I must say I was IMPRESSED.... If I wasnt a builder myself, thats the one I would get. That thing will peel paint...wow NFI Barry
    Hello Barry-

Do you know if the mandolin you got to play one of his prototype mandolins with a side depth of 1 3/8"?

Thanks
    Scott

I dont know the body depth, bu I will check tomorrow and get back to you...Barry