Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the West Was Won

Anybody know if it was John Paul Jones that did the mando work on Goin' to California and some of the other pieces on that album? Anyone know what kind of mando(s) they used on the live disc?

I've got the library's copy, so any liner notes are long gone.

Dude.... I always have time for a Led Zeppelin thread.
    The DVD they released around the time they put out the How the West Was Won CDs show JPJ playing mandolin.

Hope that helps.

Zep Rules.

Chris

That's a great recording...

Or rather, 2....

They had the "sterile" board tapes, and the "noisy unfocused" bootlegs taped from the audience with a couple mics...

Put the two together in ProTools and line them up...
    Voila!

My understanding is that J. Page played all the mandolin on the albums (the quasi-apocryphal story about "The Battle of Evermore is that he simply picked up the mandolin and started picking away, without knowing very much about the mandolin at all). However, I've seen photos of JPJ playing mandolins in concert, so I suppose that onstage Page played guitar and Jones handled the mandolin.

I think, that`s what you are talking about:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Led_Zeppelin___Going_To_California_frame_2390.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	6258  

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

I always dig another Zep fret.

[/QUOTE]My understanding is that J. Page played all the mandolin on the albums (the quasi-apocryphal story about "The Battle of Evermore is that he simply picked up the mandolin and started picking away, without knowing very much about the mandolin at all).
    Quote Originally Posted by

I first cut my teeth on "The Battle of Evermore". One of my personal favorites.
    However, I've seen photos of JPJ playing mandolins in concert, so I suppose that onstage Page played guitar and Jones handled the mandolin.[QUOTE]

John Paul Jones used to play a combo, 6 string-12 string- mandolin.

Another fun song to play on the guitar and mandolin is "That's the Way" from Led Zepplin III.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by (8_String_Keith @ Jan. 26 2005, 12:01)
    Another fun song to play on the guitar and mandolin is "That's the Way" from Led Zepplin III.
    One of my favoriet Zep songs EVER. I love the progression. The album that Plant and Page released in the mid-90s has a phenominal version of this track. I think they just re-released this as a remastered CD.

Then there's the debate as to whether the song is about racial prejudice or a dead child...
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by (TeleMark @ Jan. 26 2005, 16:32)
    Then there's the debate as to whether the song is about racial prejudice or a dead child... #
    I've always taken it as a song about a child's friend who has, in 60s/early 70s argot, "tuned in, turned on, and dropped out;" that is, he's alienated or something.

One of my favoriet Zep songs EVER. I love the progression. The album that Plant and Page released in the mid-90s has a phenominal version of this track. I think they just re-released this as a remastered CD.

Then there's the debate as to whether the song is about racial prejudice or a dead child...
    I have to be totally honest with you. I have no idea what that song is all about. All I can honestly tell you is that it's one hell of a song and I was jumpin' up and down, when I figured it out on the guitar and mandolin.

It reminds me a lot of hanging and partying in the woods in Ringwood and West Milford, New Jersey back in the late 80's and early 90's.
    Keith Erickson

Boogie w/ Stu is an all time fave 'go to' solo when I'm warming up.

To answer the original question, JPJ played any and all mandolin parts on How the West Was Won. Live, JPJ played all mandolin parts except for when they did "Battle of Evermore" on the '77 tour, Page played mandolin on that and JPJ played guitar on the Andy Manson triple-neck.

In the studio, I'm less certain. Page definitely played BoE on Zep IV, but I was always under the (perhaps incorrect) assumption that JPJ played most of the other mandolin parts. Liner notes are unhelpful in answering this question. I don't think there is a detailed "sessionography" like there are for some other bands.

Some of the mandolins that JPJ played in Zep shows:

The Andy Manson triple (mando,6,12) neck in 1977:
    http://www.andymanson.co.uk/jpj_flat_top_triple.htm
    http://www.led-zeppelin.org/multimedia/photos/jpj12.jpg
    http://www.ledzeppelin.ru/pa/pg/jpj6.htm
    http://www.ledzeppelin.ru/pa/pg/jpj16.htm

The Harmony batwing electric in 1975 (as seen in the Earl's Court footage in the Zep DVD):
    http://www.led-zeppelin.org/images/harmony-mand.jpg

A Fender "mandocaster" circa 1971:
    http://www.led-zeppelin.org/images/fender-mand.jpg

An A-style circa 1970:
    http://www.ledzeppelin.ru/pa/pg/jpj55.htm
    http://www.ledzeppelin.ru/pa/pg/1970-72.htm
    http://www.photosets.net/artist/ledz...z700628p09.htm

Page playing an A-style on BoE in 1977:
    http://www.ledzeppelin.ru/pa/idx_1977-9.htm
    http://www.photosets.net/artist/ledz...z770530p06.htm

In this interview, I think Page is saying JPJ was playing mandolin in the studio on Going to CA and Battle for Evermore.
    Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

I just gave Going to California from HTWWW and BBC Sessions a good listen. It sounds like JPJ is playing the Fender mandocaster on HTWWW (6/27/72). But on the BBC Sessions (4/1/71) he is playing an acoustic 8-string, probably a Gibson A.

The picture, that I posted is from the live performance of "Going to California".

Quote Originally Posted by (plami @ Jan. 28 2005, 04:01)
    The picture, that I posted is from the live performance of "Going to California".
    Where'd you get that picture? Apparently it's from a VH1 broadcast, but it only kinda looks like Jonesy and the drum set looks wrong.

I found this from an old thread on the Mutual Admiration Society: link to an MP3 of JPJ playing an instrumental version of Going to CA during the MAS Tour. (After listening to it quite a bit, I am actually much more fond of it than the original version with Plant and Sandy Denny on vocals.)

Yeah, those instrumental versions by JPJ and Sean Watkins on the MAS tour are great. That Lime Kiln show (8/17/04) is also the best recording of the whole tour. They did that song at every show, many of which can be downloaded from LMA:
    MAS 2004 tour on LMA

JPJ was not at the July 21st Largo show I recorded, which wasn't really part of the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by (mad dawg @ Jan. 28 2005, 15:14)
    (After listening to it quite a bit, I am actually much more fond of it than the original version with Plant and Sandy Denny on vocals.)
    You're confusing 2 mando songs from Zep IV. Sandy sang on a Battle of Evermore.

Ooops -- you are quite right, except that I didn't have the songs confused, but I confused which song Denny was on. (In my head now, I can clearly hear Denny on BofE.)

Unhappy

Has anyone see the Page and Plant colaberation from 1994? It's a great CD, but I must admit I got the chills by watching Page Play the Battle of Evermore. A very enchanting version with two thumbs up.
    Keith Erickson

This thread is amazing. I love zeppelin. That live mandolin solo of going to california is just beautiful. I wish I had more mixes of it as well.

Anyone know an ACCURATE way to play gallows pole on Mandolin? I will be forever grateful!

The battle of evermore is my favorite song. I am improving my mandolin on that song everyday (i'm a beginner). Anyone know of mixes for this song?

Also, how do you play .snh files on the link provided in the admiration tours page?

Rock on

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by (BriMcFly88 @ Feb. 02 2005, 17:42)
    Anyone know an ACCURATE way to play gallows pole on Mandolin? I will be forever grateful!
    I've never played this to see how accurate it is, but other Jeff Strawman tabs seem very accurate:
    Gallows Pole Tabs

Also, how do you play .snh files on the link provided in the admiration tours page?
    You can play SHN files in winamp with a plugin. You can also convert them to WAV for CD burning using mkwACT. See software file links here:
    SHN FAQ

Jefflester, you are the man. I got the .shn to play and i'm loving the songs i'm hearing.

The gallows pole mandolin tab, although probably right, doesnt sound right. I guess I thought more of it was the mandolin when its obviously the banjo playing as well. I wasn't sure.

Does anyone know of a live version, or covered version, of battle of evermore? something diff? i'm dying for some more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by (BriMcFly88 @ Feb. 05 2005, 16:32)
    Does anyone know of a live version, or covered version, of battle of evermore? something diff? i'm dying for some more of it.

Heart did a cover of BoE on the Singles soundtrack (I thought it was on the Zep tribute "Encomium," but Google corrected me). When you remember that Ann is married to the director of the movie, I guess that makes sense. Pretty well done, I thought.
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ