Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flinthill mandolins

Default Flinthill mandolins

Hi everyone, I am a new mando player (long time guitar/banjo player......I know, I know, what took me so long...?) and I am looking for a good starter mandolin under $200.00. I am currently playing my great grandfathers old bowlback. I have been doing my homework over the last few months by reading a lot of the threads here at the cafe, so I know that I should stick with an A-style, solid wood. I also know that everyone is going to recommend Kentucky KM 150, and Savannah SA 120. I also know that I need to get it set up properly.

I found another mandolin that I can't find much information about, so I am looking for some help from you knowledgeable folks. Anybody know much about the Flinthill FHM 50? It's solid wood and is a little cheaper than the others. Also, I really like the look of the headstock. I know it is another Saga model, but has anyone owned/played one and can comment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Flinthill mandolins

No doubt others will chime in, but as far as I can see, the Flinthill FHM 50 is the same as the Rover RM50, but with a different headstock. I beg you, unless you have tried it out, don't buy it. Spend the extra money or search for something used that is playable. I do not think the Rover RM 50, which I bought for my son, is particularly playable, even with a professional set-up. I would guess the same is true of Flinthill FHM 50. Reading the threads is great, but you should spend far more time trying out different mandolins. Learn an octave of a major scale, anything, and just go play some different ones. I really would not put as much stock in the 'all solid wood' as I would in the neck, the fretboard, the setup, etc. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    No doubt others will chime in, but as far as I can see, the Flinthill FHM 50 is the same as the Rover RM50, but with a different headstock. I beg you, unless you have tried it out, don't buy it. Spend the extra money or search for something used that is playable. I do not think the Rover RM 50, which I bought for my son, is particularly playable, even with a professional set-up. I would guess the same is true of Flinthill FHM 50. Reading the threads is great, but you should spend far more time trying out different mandolins. Learn an octave of a major scale, anything, and just go play some different ones. I really would not put as much stock in the 'all solid wood' as I would in the neck, the fretboard, the setup, etc. Good luck!
    Thanks. I fully realize the importance of playing the instrument, however, I live in rural Northern Ontario and the music store here only has a Kentucky KM 140, some Gretch New Yorkers and high end Fenders.

Whereever I get my instrument from, I will make sure they have a return policy.

Maybe you will not be able to play it yourself, buy maybe put out a call in the classifieds here? It seems to me that there must be a lot of people with a lot of beat-up-but-still-far-more-playable-than-a-new-cheap-mandolin mandolins. You would need to trust the person, but there seem to be a lot of very helpful, very trustworthy folks on this site. I would guess that you could pay 200 bucks or less for pure playability, at the cost of looks and tone. For the Flinthill, all of your money will certainly go to that (overly thick) glossy finish and flashy headstock.

When searching be aware that Mark Franzke used to call his mandolins Flinthills Mandolins. Mark makes very high quality hand made instruments.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

6. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

Blog Entries

For example....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repairg.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	99202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repairh.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	99203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repairi.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	99204

(if you spot the masking tape on the side, that is because it is in process of having some finish touch-up done).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Look for a used Mid-Mo or Stradolin or Kay clone. Use your imagination and keep your eyes on the cafe classifieds. Many mistakes are made with first mandolins, and I think too many beginners quit because of bad instruments.
    Mike Snyder

9. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

I have just been in touch with a fellow named Claude Bernier. A Cafe member posted his email berniercl (at) cgocable (dot) ca in a thread last week. Anyway, he deals in players instruments, a lot of vintage stuff, and might have something in your range. If you email him he will send you his catalogue (tho the current one does not have any arch-tops) and he might get something in that will suit your needs. He seems very easy to deal with, and I would bet he has a fair return policy.
    Last edited by vetus scotia; Mar-05-2013 at 1:41pm.

I have just been in touch with a fellow named Claude Bernier. A Cafe member posted his email berniercl (at) cgocable (dot) ca in a thread last week. Anyway, he deals in players instruments, a lot of vintage stuff, and might have something in your range. If you email him he will send you his catalogue (tho the current one does not have any arch-backs) and he might get something in that will suit your needs. He seems very easy to deal with, and I would bet he has a fair return policy.
    Thats great. thanks a lot, I will drop him a line right now. I can't thank everyone enough for all this information. I think a used instrument is the way to go. Still risky - buying through the internet without playing first, but I have to just hope people are honest.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

I bought a flinthill f style and as a beginner, I strummed several f's and a models. I came back to this one as it just sounded nice. For the money, I am happy. I did not like their A model, it was a LOT cheaper and sounded bad. Just my 2 cents

Sounds like the same relation between the Rover RM-75, which many people think is decent and recommend to beginners, and the Rover RM-50, which gets much more mixed reviews. However, after the professional set-up on my son's RM-50, I recently did some tinkering. Lowered the bridge action and it is much, much more playable. Have a $20 ebony bridge on the way to replace the stock rosewood one (a chance for me to try my hand at bridge fitting before I do it on my own mandolin). Might have to eat my words on the RM-50, and therefore also the Flinthill. My suspicion is that my local shop was annoyed that I bought a mando online instead of from them (their all solid wood mandolins start over $100 higher) and did not give it the best set-up possible. I think they wanted me to think the problem was the cheap Saga mando. Also, the guy insisted that 'set up is set up' when I asked him to take into consideration the mandolin was for a 7 year old, so lower action was preferable to higher action that didn't buzz when doing 4 finger chop chords. He did do perfectly good work on the nut. He just cranked the bridge all the way up leaving 1/2 inch at the 12th fret.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Honsberger View Post
    Hi everyone, I am a new mando player (long time guitar/banjo player......I know, I know, what took me so long...?) and I am looking for a good starter mandolin under $200.00. I am currently playing my great grandfathers old bowlback. I have been doing my homework over the last few months by reading a lot of the threads here at the cafe, so I know that I should stick with an A-style, solid wood. I also know that everyone is going to recommend Kentucky KM 150, and Savannah SA 120. I also know that I need to get it set up properly.

I found another mandolin that I can't find much information about, so I am looking for some help from you knowledgeable folks. Anybody know much about the Flinthill FHM 50? It's solid wood and is a little cheaper than the others. Also, I really like the look of the headstock. I know it is another Saga model, but has anyone owned/played one and can comment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Terry,

Don't feel like your first mando needs to be limited to what you list in your post...Eastman and The Loar are also alternatives depending on how much money you want to spend, ie: I would consider if at all possible expanding your budget to say $300-400, because as a long time guitar/banjo player you might not be satisfied with the cheapest of entry level types. I would advise to try and get out and play as many different mandos as you can, and also consider a more expensiive used model from say the Cafe classifieds.
    As far as Flinthill goes, I have never played one, but if it is a Saga instrument, it's probably not too bad, I got a Rover once that was pretty darn good for $125. Good luck on your purchase, and let us know how it turns out!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Terry, I received a black Flinthill A model from The Mandolin Store just today, and I am very well pleased with it. I was looking for something to replace a MIJ Kentucky 160 series that I bought new in the mid 80's...the Kentucky was a backup workhorse for many years until the neck set finally gave out a while back.

With the Flinthill, I got an all solid wood mandolin...very solid with good fit, finish, and sound...with a nice gig bag...and a perfect setup...shipped...for $179.00. This was my first instrument purchase from the Mandolin Store, and I don't foresee it being my last. They treated me like gold when I was purchasing the least expensive mandolin in their shop - that speaks volumes to me. And the setup is top shelf all the way. Lots of bang for the buck...

Just thought that I would share my experience with you...have fun, and enjoy whatever mandolin you end up with!

Steve
    RedLine A-5 #14
    Howard Morris Flat Top #337
    1936 Gibson A-50

How is the sound, Steve? I am looking at the flinthill at mandolin store for my first mandolin.
    Last edited by Celena; May-30-2013 at 4:44pm. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Celena View Post
    How is the sound, Steve? I am looking at the flinthill at mandolin sto[re] for my first mandolin.
    All solid woods, hand-carved top, back & sides, dovetail joint neck attachment, with a gig bag -- for $180? With the Mandolin Store's shop set-up?

Bargain of the century, no matter how it sounds.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    All solid woods, hand-carved top, back & sides, dovetail joint neck attachment, with a gig bag -- for $180? With the Mandolin Store's shop set-up?

Bargain of the century, no matter how it sounds.
    Mandolin Cafe News Alert: NAMM Names The Mandolin Store One Of Top 100 Music Stores in the World

After reading this on the top of the page... Think the hardest thing for a mandolin player looking to buy new would be to have to chose between "The Mandolin Store" and "Folkmusicians.com". Hey, I know I know I know... order one from each... problem solved. And MAS in remission for a coupla years.

Quote Originally Posted by Celena View Post
    How is the sound, Steve? I am looking at the flinthill at mandolin store for my first mandolin.
    Welcome to the Café! And go ahead... bite the bullet... the quicker you start playing these little beasts. The faster your quality of life will soar to new heights...

The newer Flinthill A's that we have been getting have been pretty decent instruments............we have sent quite a few back with major issues but the good ones have impressed me for the money. We tried these a long time ago and they did not have adjustable truss rods so we dismissed them. The fit and finish is not perfect but they are pretty hard to be for under $200
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get started playing...will probably go ahead and order this weekend. Hopefully it comes quickly :-)

So, after determining I will pay $69 shipping plus who knows how much in import fees (as I am in Canada), I am back to the drawing board. Under 200 for all solid is a steal but around 300? That's getting over my price range. I have looked around for used locally but there is nothing within a day's drive of me and people seem to want a lot for very little mandolin. Plus the local distributors seem sketchy on the set up they provide. I am told mandolins "pretty much come setup; there isn't much to it".

I guess I will be waiting a while longer yet for the prefect starter around the 200 mark.

Anyone know anyone than does a proper setup in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    The newer Flinthill A's that we have been getting have been pretty decent instruments............we have sent quite a few back with major issues but the good ones have impressed me for the money. We tried these a long time ago and they did not have adjustable truss rods so we dismissed them. The fit and finish is not perfect but they are pretty hard to be for under $200
    This is one of the reasons to buy through a board sponsor. The Mandolin Store and Folkmusician will cull out the bad ones. With the lower end Chinese imports, quite a few don't pass muster, mostly due to poor fretting. They will send the bad ones back which will then be sent to plenty of people willing to sell them to you on eBay for a few bucks less.

A really good mandolin will come from the builder properly set up in most cases. That is definitely NOT true of the lower end Chinese imports. Set up is critical to make these lesser quality instruments play properly which is another reason to buy from the dealers I've mentioned.

25. The following members say thank you to vegas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Honsberger View Post
    I am currently playing my great grandfathers old bowlback.
    Your great grandfathers? Wow! Whatever you decide for a primary mandolin, hang on to this one, keep it playable and play it. That is a treasure which you will really appreciate some day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    This is one of the reasons to buy through a board sponsor. The Mandolin Store and Folkmusician will cull out the bad ones. With the lower end Chinese imports, quite a few don't pass muster, mostly due to poor fretting. They will send the bad ones back which will then be sent to plenty of people willing to sell them to you on eBay for a few bucks less.

A really good mandolin will come from the builder properly set up in most cases. That is definitely NOT true of the lower end Chinese imports. Set up is critical to make these lesser quality instruments play properly which is another reason to buy from the dealers I've mentioned.
    I bought a flinthill f model and it seemed OK at first, but just got dull. So I brought it to a luthier who said it was not set up properly. He trued all the frets and set it up properly, apparently it was way out. "Painful" was the word he used. It cost a few dollars but now set up properly it is a gem and sounds as good as a more expensive mandolin I tried out.It is my keeper now.

Celena if a dealer/salesman told you that Mandolins come "pretty much set up" he either don't know mandolins or he will tell you anything to try to make a sell. Don't pay much attention to anything he tells you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Celena if a dealer/salesman told you that Mandolins come "pretty much set up" he either don't know mandolins or he will tell you anything to try to make a sell. Don't pay much attention to anything he tells you.
    If the price is right then buy it and have a real luthier set it up. It will be the best it can be.