Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flinthill mandolins

Blog Entries

Default Re: Flinthill mandolins

Six years later I am still playing it and it is playing in nicely. All solid spruce and maple makes this a very nice student model. The proper set up and the eye of a competent luthier are key here. Sure enough he said the weak point are the tuners and next time I do strings some grover 309's are getting the nod as i spend a lot of time keeping it in tune.
    Money well spent.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Flinthill mandolins

Hello, I bought the FHM 75 about 8 years ago, under similar circumstances. It was the only one in stock. Knowing nothing about them I took the plunge and played it for awhile but after listening to other ones I began to wonder if I made a mistake. Luckily there is a great luthier a few towns north and I took it to him. His take was it was a good student model, well constructed but could benefit from a fret board trueing, a proper set up, and a bone nut. He also said that the tuners were low end and while good for now, at some point I might think about upgrading them. 6 years later I had that done. All in all I really like it now that I have had a chance to try some really bad mandolins. I guess it is all in the ear of the beholder but I like mine.