Thread: Kentucky KM-630

Default Kentucky KM-630

Good afternoon,

I have a line on a KM-630. He said he wouldn't go any lower than $300. What are your expert opinions on this mando and price? Thanks!

Joe

Default Re: Kentucky KM-630

Solid pressed (not carved) top, solid back and sides (at least according to Elderly). Prices seem to run $550-700 for a new one, so $300's around what one might expect for a used one.

If you're not determined to get an F-model, Kentucky has all-solid-wood, carved-top A-models for less money. If you really want an F-model, $300's not a bad price.

If you're getting a decent case as well for your $300, that's another plus.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    If you're not determined to get an F-model, Kentucky has all-solid-wood, carved-top A-models for less money. If you really want an F-model, $300's not a bad price.
    Do you recommend an A over a F? I don't own a mandolin, nor do I play yet. I'm a guitarist who's been playing for 15+ years, but no mandolin. It is my next instrument to learn. Thanks for the info so far

Joe

As Allen noted, 300 for the F is going to be pretty close to the real value of the mandolin. If you buy a new, cheaper A, it will depreciate, maybe even more percentage-wise. There is no appreciable difference to a beginner between A and F style, and the price range you are talking about, there might be no difference at all. A huge chunk of the cost of an F resides in that scroll and in the two points. It is just like building a house, every corner, every cut, adds to the cost. Grab that F for 300 and unless it is obviously damaged or defective, you will get your money's worth out of it.

Gonna highjack my own post...anyone ever heard of a Woods F-Style mandolin? Never heard of it and not a lot online about them. Thanks!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jpschersch View Post
    Do you recommend an A over a F?...
    No, but I would recommend a carved top over a heat-pressed top -- as a general rule. Not a major factor in learning the instrument, however. As vetus scotia points out, the scroll and points of the F-model, which are basically ornamental and don't improve its sound, do add to its price.

Probably you'd be pretty satisfied with the KM-630, if it's well set up. Carved tops have the potential to be more acoustically responsive than heat-pressed tops, but in the mid-price range, the differences probably wouldn't leap out at you.

And the Woods brand is a new one on me.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Randy Wood??? Maybe add a few zeroes...
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-from-the-80-s
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Barry Smith

I had a KM-630 that I bought for around that price. It was worth it and a decent mandolin. Definite difference in tone between it and a carved top, however. When I bought a carved top F, I sold the 630 for the same price I paid for it. You probably can't go to wrong and playability is good. The best mandolin I have gotten rid of (with regret) was a KM 180 S. Solid, carved top A model that was excellent sounding and playing as well as only $200 + used. As always, best tonal bang for the buck will be with the A-model.
    "...got time to breathe, got time for music" - Briscoe Darling

Barry Smith

Weber Road Dog, Gibson F5G
    Atkin White-Rice
    1965 Martin D18
    1990 Martin HD28
    Too many others

.anyone ever heard of a Woods F-Style mandolin? Never heard of it and not a lot online about them. Thanks!
    I am familiar with the Woods Instruments. I am a dealer for their parent company so by default I am also a Woods dealer. They are fine for what they are, but nothing to write home about. I do not sell them.

For the KM-630....
    $300 was an average price a few years back, but the way prices have been climbing, I would say that $300 is now a good deal. The newer versions are better mandolins than those with the full fingerboard extension. So $300 for one that looks like this and is in good playing condition would be something that I would jump on. Note the fingerboard extension, head-stock inlay and tuners. These will Identify it as the newer version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KM-630.jpg 
Views:	1815 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	99390

$300 for an older version is still not a bad deal at all. Again, you just need to check things like the frets and neck.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I picked mine up for 300..I like it play great.. good price..

AL

Well all, I went ahead and purchased the Kentucky KM-630 for $300. I feel pretty good about it. There are a couple small things on it that don't really "worry" me...but have me thinking a little bit..I'll submit some pics to gauge some opinions (thought, its too late to turn back now :P). Photos 3 and 4 are the spots I was talking about. Not sure why there is that tiny hole on photo 4...

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	1095 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	99445

Name:	image(1).jpeg 
Views:	1002 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	99446

Name:	image(3).jpeg 
Views:	1007 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	99448

Name:	image(2).jpeg 
Views:	956 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	99449

Anyway, thanks for the advice

Joe

Hole is where a finger rest/pickguard was or could have been installed, Nice looking instrument. Hope you enjoy it.
    Jim Richmond

Any thoughts/ideas on the spot above the neck that is missing the varnish or whatever (pic #3)? Thanks!

Joe

Can anyone help me with specs for the following instrument?

KM630S
    serial # 0181616
    Made in China

Are we still talking about a solid pressed top and solid B/S?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls