Thread: What's up at Gibson Mandolins?

Default What's up at Gibson Mandolins?

I heard a rumor that the mandolin building at Gibson is down to one person, Dave Harvey. That production is one a month or less. Anyone know anything about the current location and situation??

Default Re: What's up at Gibson Mandolins?

You left out the most important part... Where did you hear this rumor?

I have no idea about the head count at the Gibson mandolin factory. All I know is if you can get your hands on a David Harvey signed mandolin, you will be very happy.
    2012 Gibson F5 Custom Goldrush (Harvey)
    2014 Rover RM-75 F
    bowlback mandolin (1890's to 1900 era)

Re, The Rumor...

I have recently begun playing with the Aurora Mandolin Orchestra, in Redwood City, CA. During a break one of the other musicians made the sensationally spurious stipulation. Of corse I questioned this immediately and it was walked back a bit, though the individual showed some confidence regarding the situation. Personally I don't know. Dave Harvey didn't reply to my last email.

On my web site, billypackardmandolin.com see, 'The Mandolins' page, at the bottom see the F4 Hybrid. Dave Harvey said this was the mandolin he always wanted to build. It was due to go into production in lesser versions but the flood in Nashville put that project off the stove,never mind on the 'back burner'. It is a remarkable and unique sounding mandolin and I play it almost daily.

Nice website Billy. Is that your Gilchrist on the recording samples?
    Russ Jordan

Would not be surprised. Gorgeous tone there.

Yes, it is the Gilchrist on the recording. I did my CD before I got the other two mandos. It is wonderful in every way. I am lucky in that I ordered the A3 in 1992 before the price run-up on Gilchrist instruments, ( Steve has made a few arch top guitars that are amazing.)

Mandolin Production Head dhmando's Avatar

Hello all, sorry I missed your last email Billy.
    It never ceases to amaze me how incorrect the rumor mill can be. No truth to this latest that Gibson mandolin production is down to one or less mandolins a month.
    While I'm not at liberty to share exact numbers, I assure you, my team and I are producing a healthy number of mandolins every month.
    After the flood, Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments moved into the Gibson Custom Shop here in Nashville TN. As you can imagine we have all been very busy since then retooling and getting back to the business at hand. And, by the way, according to our dealers and
    customers we are manufacturing the finest mandolins they have seen from us.
    We have also had the opportunity to be creative, building and selling the first Gibson Mando-Cellos in 75 years, and a line of custom colored mandolins, Pelham Blue, Keary Green, Peacock Burst and Gold Top F-5's to name a few! Also, all Koa and Korina F-5's!
    My team and I are committed to the Gibson legacy of building the finest quality world class instruments, making customers happy, and delivering 1st class customer service.
    God has blessed me with a great team that I'm thankful for every day, and by his grace we'll continue to do what we love.
    David Harvey
    Master Luthier
    Gibson Custom
    Original Acoustic Instruments
    Nashville TN

8. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to dhmando For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Well there you have it. Good news and the end of the rumors. I'll take a gold top please...

Quote Originally Posted by dhmando View Post
    And, by the way, according to our dealers and

God has blessed me with a great team that I'm thankful for every day, and by his grace we'll continue to do what we love.
    David Harvey
    Master Luthier
    Gibson Custom
    Nashville TN

Great post Dave! I have a Custom F5G that you signed on 8/8/12 and I am extremely pleased. I only wish I had the coin for a DMM.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Let's see I believe the Mark Twain quote fits here "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Parts of the public seem to have a love hate relationship with Gibson......it is almost like their is this desire to see the flagship of American Mandolum sink like the Titanic. Yes I would suspect that Henry isn't too concerned about the profit that mandolins make Gibson but I do believe he is enough of a businessman to understand that mandolin production, however small it is, is a historical foundational element of the company and as such deserves some consideration.

As for Dave Harvey, the man knows how to play the durn thing, how to repair them, the history of them, has imagination about the product and can make them really well.

My guess is that mandolin production at Gibson will keep moving along and for me that's really great for the mandolin world.

Blog Entries

This is a reply, but somewhat of a hijack <smile> But I just wondered: in my stall at hobbies fair advertising the mando cafe and promoting mando consciousness, I hope to provide a history of mandolins and show different mandolins and of course provide some pictures on the mandolin family. Found the history of mandolins and the mandolin family tree on Wikki. Could someone who may have seen it tell me if that is accurate? That I think is UK Wikki. If not accurate, where can I find a more accurate history of mandolins? Regards and thanks for tolerating the hijack of the thread.

Happy strumming, picking and assembling mandolins! VM

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

I took my F5-G to Dave Harvey a couple of years ago for some fret work and a setup. When I got it back I was thinking of trading it for a DMM, but it actually sounded better than the several DMM's I tried. I have another boutique mandolin and the F5-G that Dave set up for me sounds every bit as good. I can't believe what good work he and his people do. If you really want the sound your mandolin has in it, take it to Dave. These folks know what they are doing.

Thank you dhmando for the straight talk. That is what you gotta love about this forum, it is full of experts willing to share their expertise. Thanks to everyone who makes this the most interesting and informative site I have ever found.

All Right, Dave!! I'm so glad to read your post. And I will most certainly pass along the news at the next meeting of the Aurora Mandolin Orchestra. Any photos of the Mando-Cello you mention? Any further plans re. the F4 Hybrid? Mine continues to open up volume-wise and the sound becomes evermore complex. The 'chop' will make your ears ring. Each note is big and fat. It does not sound like any F hole or round hole. Lynn Dudenbostle look surprised when I played it and he said something like, 'That sure does have it's own sound, like a F4 and a F5.' Anyway, I enjoy telling the story of when I bought it from you. I like to think I rescued it from a certain watery death so it can live on and on, tune after tune, generation after generation.

Billy Packard
    billypackardmandolin.com

Blog Entries

A couple of those Korina F-5's and a new F-9 recently arrived in Europe.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Any further plans re. the F4 Hybrid? Mine continues to open up volume-wise and the sound becomes evermore complex. The 'chop' will make your ears ring. Each note is big and fat. It does not sound like any F hole or round hole.
    I too would be interested to hear of a new Gibson F4 hybrid...
    Jim Magill, Director
    The Swannanoa Gathering
    Warren Wilson College
    PO Box 9000
    Asheville, NC 28815-9000
    828-298-3434
    jmagill@warren-wilson.edu
    www.swangathering.com

Blog Entries

Great to hear this news Dave. The F-5 you signed on 5/12/09 is on it's way back to you. Thanks for your prompt reply to my e-mail I sent you. I am confident that the repair to my mandolin will be great.

Hello all, sorry I missed your last email Billy.
    It never ceases to amaze me how incorrect the rumor mill can be. No truth to this latest that Gibson mandolin production is down to one or less mandolins a month.
    While I'm not at liberty to share exact numbers, I assure you, my team and I are producing a healthy number of mandolins every month.
    After the flood, Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments moved into the Gibson Custom Shop here in Nashville TN. As you can imagine we have all been very busy since then retooling and getting back to the business at hand. And, by the way, according to our dealers and
    We have also had the opportunity to be creative, building and selling the first Gibson Mando-Cellos in 75 years, and a line of custom colored mandolins, Pelham Blue, Keary Green, Peacock Burst and Gold Top F-5's to name a few! Also, all Koa and Korina F-5's!
    My team and I are committed to the Gibson legacy of building the finest quality world class instruments, making customers happy, and delivering 1st class customer service.
    David Harvey
    Master Luthier
    Gibson Custom
    Nashville TN

How cool is this site for its ability to clear up so many rumors with dignity. I am now trying to think how the "lump scroll" Gibbys would look in gold top next the a Les Paul in similar finish, probably like a red headed stepchild but, we may never know.
    Anyway, very nicely written message Dave.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

To steal a popular phrase from another forum which I frequent,

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!

Quote Originally Posted by KEB View Post
    To steal a popular phrase from another forum which I frequent,

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!
    Just go to his Facebook page

Here's the mandocello -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandocello.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	99505
    Marc B.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marc Berman For This Useful Post:

Every time I interact with Dave Harvey - either in person at an event like IBMA or via something like the Cafe - the interaction leaves me wanting to buy a Gibson. No brand has a better ambassador.

Jason

That's the way it was with Charlie Derrington and Danny Roberts. Dave is a real asset to Gibson. Coming out with a K5 model just shows his creative plans for Gibson's future in making great mandolins.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

as did his coming out with a long neck F4....