Thread: Flickin' My Pick

Default Flickin' My Pick

Re-visiting this tune.

When I first heard it on the Tiny and Jethro record, it really caught my ear, as it had a fiddle tune/jazz vibe plus the spate of all those dim licks. Couldn't really play it then. Now, can mostly do it (with the help of the Jethro book). The B part is ultra cool as it has this descending thing going on, down to the low strings. Now, doing the take-off after the head is another story...Ab requires paying attention.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Flickin' My Pick

That is a great tune. If you can mostly do it that's really something.

I really struggle with that jazz vibe. Its really cool, but even if I get the notes, I come off mechanical. It takes too much attention to get all the notes in, and so there is no real swing to it.

Good stuff.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

I must go to the woodshed but will have some accurate tabs posted here soon. I knew at least the A part years ago and must reteach it to myself. I love Jethro's compositions, I seem to remember lots of diminished chordal ideas, tritone substitutions and of course swing.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

@JRcohan, no need for tab when the Jethro method book (from Mel Bay) has it noted and tabbed. My copy is covered with notes on what's really going on in the chord progression. I posted a few years ago about the A part and got some good answers from Jethrologists. I still haven't decoded the theory behind the B part -- it switches keys about halfway through (from Eb back to Ab) but I can't quite figure out where! Ultra cool and a real workout.

I started picking this one way back with a lot of pinky hits, kind of had to for the first few measures of both parts, getting all the fingers involved. Now, I shift and slide bit more within the number. This tune really teaches the picker about the role of diminished lines and how to follow a bass pattern. For Jethro to pen this tune whenever he did (is it recorded anywhere else but on Back To Back?), and come up with that ultra-cool chord progression, just underscores how great he was.

Still with this durned number. I think I may have found a boo-boo in the accompaniment (chords). The opening bars have these chords listed, 2 per measure:

Ab, Bdim7
    Bbdim7, Bdim7

I think it should be:

Ab, Bdim7
    Bbm7, Bdim7

Anyone know?...or care?

I know and I care...you are right, Alan.

The late Ken Eidson did those transcitpions, and he had a remarkable ear. That diminished has to be a typo.
    John

Probably a typo. I just got out my book and noticed I'd written in that correction years ago.

Thanks, John. I can sleep at night now...