Thread: Banjo~Mandolins

Default Banjo~Mandolins

Thanks in advance for ANY help ......

The Love of My Life .. who plays mandolin, octave mandolin and fiddle ... has discovered the "mandobanj" as she calls it. Her retirement is far enough away that i can take my time and find her a nice vintage instrument. I do not want to spend an arm and a leg for the instrument but what i've seen on the web in the past day or two seems within the realm of doable. Doing a search here there has been some help ... thanks for that ..... and my go to poster on things unusual Allen Hopkins .... speaks well of Vega Little Wonders. Any other thoughts~opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm aware of the similarity of Irish tenor banjos to her octave and will persue that as well.

Thanks again,

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

2. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

Default Re: Banjo~Mandolins

I have a Lil Wonder BM, I also have a GDAE strung uke banjo, [It was in bad shape no tone ring or hooks & plenty of Rust]

It was converted with a bit of creativity to a Spruce Topped melody banjo, with 4 strings..
    and a fingerboard slotted for a Mandolin..

A Remo synthetic Fiberskyn head on a banjo uke is another approach,
    Gold Tone one source .

therein, may be some mix of the brash presence of a steel string ManJo,
    and the softer tones of a Uke , in that 5-ths tuning..

Of the BM's Gibson's Trap door seems the one escalating in resale,
    more than the Resonator back sorts..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

4. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

They're actually cheap. I Reckon around 250.00 should do it.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Here's one advertised for $299.

The Little Wonder was, I think, the second least expensive Vega line that had a tone ring; there's a Style K that was a lower model, and that's also an option.

There are quite a few mandolin banjos around, and it seems only the Gibsons and the fancier Vegas (Tu-Ba-Phones) and Paramounts are "pricey." There are a bunch of Coles, Weymanns, Fairbanks etc. instruments that seem to crop up in the $2-400 dollar range. And there are some perfectly acceptable Asian-made Gold Tone instruments for a couple hundred more.

Don't be afraid to check out even the unlabeled instruments, some of which are decently made, and which are usually less expensive since they're not "name brands." I was given a mandolin-banjo, unmarked except for "Levis Music" (the Rochester store where it was sold), and after having a Renaissance Remo head installed and a decent bridge and set-up (about $75 total), it was (is) a good playable instrument. These mandolin banjos were made for individual music stores or catalog sales, probably by the large Chicago manufacturers, and can meet your needs at a very low price.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Don't be afraid to check out even the unlabeled instruments, some of which are decently made, and which are usually less expensive since they're not "name brands."
    I bought one of these a couple of years ago, sight unseen from a Craigslist seller, and had it shipped to me. I only paid something like $25 for it, and I'm glad I didn't put any more into it than that. It was virtually unplayable and sounded horrible. It's a interesting wall-hanger, but that's about it. I have no idea if it was somebody's home build or what, but it was awful. Bringing the strings up to pitch made the frame flex and the bridge looked like it was about to punch through the skin. I never could get the intonation right because the bridge wouldn't stay put; it would slide around on the skin head.

The experience really soured me on banjo-mandolins. But I'm hoping it was due to the fact that it was a poorly-made one. It's the same one shown in my avatar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjo-mandolin.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	99589  

9. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

The only mandolin-banjo I own and can stand is a Weymann Style 25 with the small pot. This one just went on sale at Bernunzio's yesterday and unfortunately it looks like it is taken. More expensive than most of those (except for Gibsons) but they actually have some tone to them, not just percussive sound. Keep an eye out for these.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

My Vega Style K has a Natural Calfskin Head, which helps with tone. I also have a very large home made bridge on it that I patterned after a photo of an original Vega Mandolin-banjo Bridge. I use very light strings (2 sets of Tenor Banjo strings) and have a Wool Sock, rolled up and stuffed under the bridge , between the head and the Dowel-stick. These measures tend to tame the unruly tones.

I played a new Gold Tone Mandolin-banjo that had a normal size banjo bridge and a Remo Mylar head. That instrument sounded horrid.

Elderley instruments sells Hennik Mandolin-banjo Bridges that are patterned after the Vega bridge from that era. They come in various hights. Some are slightly slanted to allow for the thicker Bass strings. These look like they would be suitable for a restoration.

Weymann originally used a bridge about 4 inches long which had 5 Feet formed by 4 Holes evenly spaced in the center of the bridge, with the feet formed by sawing from the bridge bottom to the center of each hole. The holes were probably 1/4 inch in diameter, more or less. My Vega bridge is also about this length, I made it out of Beech.

Hope this information is of use.

13. The following members say thank you to 8ch(pl) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by 8ch(pl) View Post
    Weymann originally used a bridge about 4 inches long which had 5 Feet formed by 4 Holes evenly spaced in the center of the bridge, with the feet formed by sawing from the bridge bottom to the center of each hole. The holes were probably 1/4 inch in diameter, more or less.
    You can see that bridge on the Bernunzio example I linked to above and attached here. Mine actually warped so I have to un-warp it or else make a repro. They are pretty cool because they are actually compensated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weymann_style25_bridge.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	99604  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I got a Bridge with intonation offsets as a spare part for a Flatiron Flat top, It works fine ..

esoterically better if maple rather than Ebony, but it was plug and play, so , it's all Good.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

17. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Thank you all for your input.

Jim's suggestion brings up a thought from the dusty part of my brain. I'll put it this way ... the Weyman looks too small. My understanding of the complaint about 'mandabanjs' is thinness of sound. From larger members of the banjo family i know that increasing head size increases the tonal possibilities. Too ... from what i've read on the web you can 'improve' the tone of a mandolin~banjo by increasing the length of the bridge. But anybody fortunate enough to have the sound of a Brentrup A4 available would probably not put up something really lacking.

I'm leaning towards something like the Vega Allen linked in his post ... primarily because it looks more Lynne. I had seen that instrument while i was wandering around on the web and formulating questions before posting. I had also seen this Vega: http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Vega...anjo-1931/2616. Any thoughts around resonators on these little guys?

Thank you,

Ryk

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

$1,250.00. // rather than the $600 I paid for my open back Lil Wonder,
    added to the reflecting back -resonator .. the Tubaphone tone ring is a Hollow tube,
    rather than a solid ring.. And you get all those words and art museum references
    in the M Bros sales pitch.

You probably have to go to Banjo Hang Out to get any scuttlebut on tone ring differences , they undoubtedly have multiple , conflicting opinions.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

20. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

My Style K has a tone ring, made from a piece of round solid steel about 3/8 inch in diameter. I had always thought that the Style K had the skin pulled down directly on the top of the wooden pot. Maybe this tone ring was added later, or perhaps it was a factory error in marking.

Or, am I wrong in thinking there was no Tone Ring on the Style K?

22. The following members say thank you to 8ch(pl) for this post:

Anyone have a you-tube of what this instrument would sound like ?

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Anyone have a you-tube of what this instrument would sound like ?
    Mark Deprez in my band Innisfree makes his own instruments, and he built a mandolin banjo with a full-size (11 inch, I guess) "pot" and resonator. It's as loud as you would want, but not "raucous" or grating, as many complain that standard mandolin banjos are.

Here are Mark and I, with Bernadette Serrano on fiddle and John Kerr on his old Gibson A-1, playing at a St. Pat's party a couple years ago. Sound is pretty lousy, since it's just the mic on someone's little vid machine, but you might get some idea of a full-size-body mandolin banjo.
    The tune's On the Road to Boston, and I'm banging rhythm on my Flatiron 3K octave mandolin.

Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

25. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Check these out .. 'Cello Banjo'
    http://www.goldtone.com/products/det...ignature-Model

Elderly: "list $1500.00 ours $1125.00"
    Last edited by mandroid; Mar-14-2013 at 1:54am.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Jim's suggestion brings up a thought from the dusty part of my brain. I'll put it this way ... the Weyman looks too small. My understanding of the complaint about 'mandabanjs' is thinness of sound. From larger members of the banjo family i know that increasing head size increases the tonal possibilities.
    You may very well be correct in theory but I have played quite a few of these little Weymanns and they all sound better than a lot of larger b-m's. In fact I had a friend who has a larger-potted Weymann and we used to call it the percolator. One thing that might help is that the small headed Weymann has to, of necessity, have a skin head. Perhaps some of the newer (Renaissance and Fibreskyn) heads might mellow out the tone a bit on the harsher ones.

The bottom line is I think you have to try it in person. I bought this one many years ago at a festival because it sounded great. YMMV but if I were you I would get out there and play some and decide for yourself.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

28. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thanks Jim .....

If i get a Weyman will i be able to play that chord?

Ryk

Absolutely, Ryk ... that is Jethro's demented chord.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Great!

As user friendly as my Rigel I-110 is ..... it just sounds like knuckles crackin' now!

Ryk

Has anyone on this thread, or the cafe in general ever played one of the Gibson MB-3 Mandolin Banjo (or banjo mando?) from the '20s? Love to hear how they sound and if this odd-bird can fly.

Never played one, but a bit of Google research shows that the MB-3 went through some major changes in the 1920's, starting as a "trap-door" resonator instrument with a celluloid pickguard, then morphing to a standard resonator "miniature" TB-3, with the "diamonds and squares" fretboard inlays, then progressing to a full Mastertone version, with what appears to be a full-size resonator body.

That's a majorly-sized mandolin banjo, with the arch-top "ping" and "punch" of a late '20's Mastertone. Bet you'd be heard in any jam or seisun with that one.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

34. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post: