Thread: looking for midnight on the stormy deep

Default looking for midnight on the stormy deep

i would like to find solo tabs for on the stormy deep

Default Re: looking for midnight on the stormy deep

Sam Bush has a two DVD set, "All About Rhythm and Lead Mandolin". It's quite expensive, but the 2 DVD set includes tabs and standard notation and Midnight on the Stormy Deep is included.

http://www.homespuntapes.com/Catalog...&ObjectType=27

His single DVD "All About Lead Mandolin" is a bit cheaper and has this tune on it as well. Also available for immediate download

http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instrum...-lead-mandolin

Sorry I couldn't find you this tune for free. If you get these DVD's, (or if anyone has them) I would love to know what you think of them.

the song is pretty straight forward, and I assume the solo break is what you are asking about? it is not as quirky as some of Mr. Monroe's solos. try it in the key of D first position, and you should be able to get it without much difficulty. all down strokes, and a few tremolos. the intro is a shorter, less complete version of the solo.

it's a great song that sort of seems to span several centuries of mixed styles. the lyrics, subject matter, and music all seem to be slightly different from each other.

i'm sorry I can't point you to any tab or notation, but I can pretty much assure you that if I can learn it by ear in a day, you can.

Tabbed out in Dave Peters' book Masters of the Mandolin, as played by Skaggs on Rice Manzanita recording, key of E.