Thread: 1939 ? Gibson A1

Default 1939 ? Gibson A1

HI Folks

I've just acquired this Mandolin in the UK. The serial number is a stamped 5930H with '39 in pencil after.

Here are some questions !

Is it a '39 ?

The back appears to be Maple Is it pressed rather than carved ?

What strings would suit it ? It has 10 to 34 at present, they're a bit quiet but nice to play and don't want to overstress it.

I have the pickguard complete but it's deteriorated. it's 2mm thick. Has anyone tried Stewmac sheet material ? It looks pretty close from the photos.

It has a modern adjustable bridge. What did the originals look like, and would a solid bridge improve the tone ??

Many thanks DavidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	GIbsonmando.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	99690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando2.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	99691

Default Re: 1939 ? Gibson A1

The H at the end of what I take to be the Factory Order Number would indicate that this was made in 1942, and that is consistent with the clamshell tailpiece. The adjustable bridge may well be original. D'Addario J74s would be the default strings to put on this.

Where did you acquire it and how confident are you that it is genuine?

OK, I've had a more careful look at your second picture. It's hard to be certain, but if the top is indeed laminated then it's not a Gibson. And you're right, that bridge looks pretty new.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

It's an original Gibson. I'll get the dating information.

The FON and the H at the end would appear to be from 1940-45 batches although they are not listed in Spann's guide. The guide doesn't have every FON. The H according to Spann put's it in the 42 to 45 dates. If somebody has a different date where the actual Factory Order Number is listed I'm sure they'll pop up. I believe what you have is an A-00 due to the pressed back and the internal brace across the back. That model with that back was introduced in 36 and gone by 43.

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    The H at the end of what I take to be the Factory Order Number would indicate that this was made in 1942, and that is consistent with the clamshell tailpiece. The adjustable bridge may well be original. D'Addario J74s would be the default strings to put on this.

Where did you acquire it and how confident are you that it is genuine?
    Hi

I bought it from a reputable collector in the UK, I have some other Gibson Instruments from the period and it looks very comfortable alongside them, so I'm sure it's okay. They all age in approximately the same way. It smells right too.

So, 11 to 40 would be okay ? Thanks