Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Bluegrass Band (Don't read the first paragraph)

Proud Mandolin Owner BeginnerMandolinistTyler's Avatar

Default Favorite Bluegrass Band (Don't read the first paragraph)

Hey guys,
    The reason why I am posting this in the first place is because I don't want to work on my Health project for college. It's due tomorrow... But in more interesting news, I finally completed Why Should the Fire Die? I own every single Punch Brother album including Chris Thile's How to Grow a Woman from the Ground and all of their various works on movie soundtracks including This is 40, The Hunger Games, the Holiday Rules album and etc....I have purchased other Nickel Creek songs but never the full albums. I'm listening to it right now while I am "working" on this project and it is phenomenal! (No surprise there) I now only need the remaining Nickel Creek albums plus Thile's first two solo albums and I will pretty much have all of the albums Chris has recorded. Ok, well now that I think about it, I don't have his album with Bela Fleck yet or Into the Cauldron with Mike Marhsall but I'm getting closer to having almost all of his work. I actually buy all of my music which is why this is taking me so long! And if you couldn't tell, I'm a huge Thile fan. The "Reason Why" (pun not intended, sort of) is because Punch Brothers were the reason I transitioned to bluegrass and eventually came to love it. Thile is the reason why I picked up the mandolin. If you read all of this, first of all, I'm sorry and second, I'm impressed.

What are your guys' favorite bluegrass bands? I'm looking to discover more amazing groups/musicians! My favorites are probably Punch Brothers/Nickel Creek (Even though most of their music really isn't all bluegrass), Sierra Hull and Highway 111, Hot Rize, and Alison Krauss and Union Station.

Default Re: Favorite Bluegrass Band (Don't read the first paragraph)

Since I started listening to bluegrass in the Mesozoic Era (nearly), you'll find my "faves" are quite a bit different:

Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys, especially the 1946 version with Flatt, Scruggs, Wise, Watts
    Stanley Brothers and the Clinch Mountain Boys
    Country Gentlemen -- especially the original Waller, Duffey, Adcock lineup
    Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs, and the Foggy Mountain Boys
    Osborne Brothers, especially the very early versions with Jimmy Martin, and later Red Allen
    Jim & Jesse and the Virginia Boys -- and if you can get the very first trio album with Larry Roll, Sacred Songs of the Virginia Trio, wow!
    Charles River Valley Boys -- the band I saw the most in person, the Joe Val lineup after Ethan Signer left
    Lynn Morris Band -- Jeez, she was special, before her medical problems; Marshall Wilborn on bass
    Johnson Mountain Boys

And, these days, Del McCoury.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Ok...Well I can't believe I forgot to put Bill Monroe in there... Just to clarify, Bill Monroe and Earl Scruggs were meant to be apart of my favorites list. I can't wait to go check out those bands! There's a lot of music I need to listen to in order to really understand and appreciate this genre to the fullest! Thanks for the response Allen!

The Bluegrass Album Band and IIIrd Tyme Out are 2 of my favorites.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Don't know if I would categorize The Punch Brothers as Bluegrass...they seem much more eclectic and what I would call "Progressive Acoustic" as a genre; same for Nickel Creek.

My Top 10:

1. Bill Monroe & Blue Grass Boys 1946-48
    2. Flatt & Scruggs & The Foggy Mountain Boys
    3. Stanley Brothers & the Clinch Mountain Boys
    4. Old & In The Way
    5. J.D. Crowe & The New South 1975
    6. Bluegrass Album Band 1980s
    7. Jim & Jesse McReynolds and the Virginia Boys
    8. The Grascals
    9. Blue Highway
    10. IIIrd Tyme Out
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Sara Jarosz, Tim O'brien, The Dillards, New Grass Revival, Tony Rice, Steep Canyon Rangers, Dave Grissman lots of others including the ones you and Allen have mentioned. Oh and Jethro Burns
    Jim Richmond

If you really get into it, the history, the recordings, the "stories" and everything else, come to understand where Bluegrass came from and where it has gone, what the various off-shoots are and so forth, you may come to understand why many of us don't consider Nickel Greek's and Punch Brother's music to be Bluegrass music. Surely, it is Bluegrass influenced, and surely it is high quality music, and surely it is not important whether it is Bluegrass or not (not that the subject hasn't come up around here before...), but there is a good chance that the favorite Bluegrass bands of some long-time bluegrass fans will sound quite a bit different from Punch Brothers.

For me, who grew up hearing Flatt and Scruggs on TV every weekend (the source of those fabulous videos everybody has now), and then later, after my Rock and Roll days had been in full force for a while, it was the Seldom Scene that brought me back to Bluegrass in the mid 70s, though they were not main stream Bluegrass, and they were, in fact, somewhat controversial and considered pretty darned progressive at the time. From there I found my way back to Bill Monroe's earlier recordings, but it was a somewhat long and convoluted journey. Suffice it to say that there is Bluegrass music that I absolutely love and there is Bluegrass music that makes me suffer and there is everything in between, and that applies to the old and the new.

Listen to everything that ends up being suggested here, the old and the new and the in-between, the traditional and the variants, the off-shoots and the fringes. There will be stuff you like and stuff you don't like most likely, but it will be an education, and you will surely find your own way.

For example, of all the folks mentioned by Jim Richmond above, only a few have played much Bluegrass at all, and all have played mostly music other than Bluegrass. That's fine, it all good music and highly recommended listening, but when you get right down to the real die-hard Bluegrass fan "curmudgeons", those will probably not be the names you'll hear.

10. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Like most I am a fan of the older Bluegrass Groups but my favorite of the newer groups would be The SteelDrivers hands down. Check out their Hammer Down CD.
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

12. The following members say thank you to P.D. Kirby for this post:

Funny what some consider bluegrass. There is a definitive answer, of course, but individual likes creep in and color the answer. I suppose it's all good.

Can't forget the one hit (recording) wonders which disappear in the fog of time, and maybe they had more than one recording, but important, nonetheless. They are surely hard to find in the on-line world, and have faded from public eye, particularly if their work never made it to CD. Some great ones: Muleskinner, Collins & Blackwell, Bluegrass Cardinals, Kentucky Colonels, Bluegrass Blend, Spectrum, IInd Generation, Bluegrass 45, East Virginia...

My favorites are the early Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Flatt & Scruggs, Red Allen from the early/mid '60s, Earl Taylor and the Stoney Mountain Boys, Larry Richardson and the Blue Ridge Boys. . .
    Marc

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

My personal favorites have been covered above. Add to those lists as worth hearing also are The Seldon Scene, The Dillards, Country Gazette and The Greenbriar Boys.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

In no particular order:
    Bill Monroe
    Flatt & Scruggs
    Stanley Brothers, Ralph Stanley
    Jimmy Martin
    Lilly Brothers
    Country Gentlemen, early especially but all will do
    Seldom Scene
    Jim and Jesse, especially with Allen Shelton
    And many others too numerous to name!

These might not be Bluegrass, but since you like Nickel Creek check out: Plaidgrass, David Grisman Quintet, Psychograss, Strength in Numbers, New Grass Revival, Sam Bush, Mark O'Connor, Mike Marshall, Norman Blake, Tony Rice, Old and in the Way, and Tony Williamson. Not all of the individuals are mandolin players, but they play with great mandolin players. You'll see lots of great video on YouTube. Put these names into Pandora and it will lead you to other great players.

I can't wait to check out all of these groups! Thanks you guys! I have not heard of the majority of these groups and can't wait to check them out!

One of my main Influences...And never seen anyone mention them, which to me is astonishing.. Just different circles, I suppose...
    1. The .357 String Band
    2. Jayke Orvis - He was the mando player for first two .357 albums... Great Songwriter & awesome Mando riffs, Chops & Plays Like a MOFO..!! Haha
    3. Split Lip Rayfield
    4. Bill Monroe & Blue Grass Boys
    5. Punch Brothers/Chris Thile (I think Step-Brothers, is his Best Soundtrack)
    6. Sam Bush
    7. Flatt & Scruggs & The Foggy
    Mountain Boys
    8. & Anything Else I hear & Like.. Whether I transcribe something or play along to the Black Crowes... Guitar Players, still influence my Mando playin.. Jimi Hendrix & John Frusciante's playing.. Very Chord-y w embellishments.. No Different than Double stops & Pull offs on the Mandolin... So I use everything I can that Appeals to me.. Cheers..!!

Your rock friends will say they are too Bluegrass and the bluegrass people will say they ain't no part of nuthin' but Yonder Mountain string Band, also Left over Salmon
    Jim Richmond

If you're interested in early bluegrass, check out this link:

http://frobbi.org/picking.html

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandolirius For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    If you're interested in early bluegrass, check out this link:

http://frobbi.org/picking.html
    Dude!

Awesome!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I'm digging the Quarry Mountain Dead Rats. Fun stuff.

Too many favorites to mention them all, but I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned Longview. Their albums are old-school bluegrass, but with a great modern recording sound. Best of all, they never rehash old standards (no-one is going to do that better than the Bluegrass Album Band anyway).

They mine the old recordings for great songs that for one reason or another just didn't become standards. Worth a listen.
    2008 Weber Bitterroot A
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2012 Martin D-18, 2004 Martin SWDGT
    1962 Martin 5-16, 1972 Alvarez 5043
    1929 “Houn’ Dog”

“Artists like Bach and Beethoven erected churches and temples on the heights. I only wanted…to build dwellings for men in which they might feel happy and at home”
    -- Edvard Grieg

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldwest For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Since I started listening to bluegrass in the Mesozoic Era (nearly), you'll find my "faves" are quite a bit different:

Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys, especially the 1946 version with Flatt, Scruggs, Wise, Watts
    Stanley Brothers and the Clinch Mountain Boys
    Country Gentlemen -- especially the original Waller, Duffey, Adcock lineup
    Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs, and the Foggy Mountain Boys
    Osborne Brothers, especially the very early versions with Jimmy Martin, and later Red Allen
    Jim & Jesse and the Virginia Boys -- and if you can get the very first trio album with Larry Roll, Sacred Songs of the Virginia Trio, wow!
    Charles River Valley Boys -- the band I saw the most in person, the Joe Val lineup after Ethan Signer left
    Lynn Morris Band -- Jeez, she was special, before her medical problems; Marshall Wilborn on bass
    Johnson Mountain Boys

And, these days, Del McCoury.
    Looking at this list, I'd think you're about to break into All the Good Times are Past and Gone , but there's more folk than Del and the boys making good "real bluegrass" these days(if slightly more progressive from time to time).

Steep Canyon Rangers
    Daily and Vincent
    Danny Paisley and the Southern Grass
    Mike Compton
    Nashville Bluegrass Band
    Dry Branch Fire Squad
    Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper

to name a few.

Then again, I also like the "New Acoustic, Post-Bluegrass, Progressive Wave, New Old Timey, Blueground Undergrass Stuff" from time to time-- so don't miss any of Mike Marshall's projects, some of Bela Fleck's projects, Anything with Jerry Douglass involved, anything with Sam Bush involved, Crooked Still(... okay anything with Aoife O'Donovan), Sierra Hull, Ronda Vincent and the Rage.

But don't neglect those that Allen mentioned just because they're old-- they're the bands "that launched a thousand ships" as Homer (of Homer and Jethro?) said-- as someone recently said to me, "it's a deep vein to mine."

29. The following members say thank you to johnhgayjr for this post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Earl Scruggs is from my hometown in N.C., so Flatt & Scruggs are my first exposure to bluegrass. HUGE Del Mcroury fan, you definitely need to check him out. Grisman, Skaggs, are great. Allison Krause and Union Station can do no wrong in my book, I'd pay to listen to her read the phone book. Modern mando players, Thile is fantastic. Technically maybe the best ever, and I love to listen to him and marvel. IMHO, he tends to sound a bit too sterile sometimes (Personal taste speaking here). Sam Bush is probably my all around favorite, the man just packs so much soul into his music.

Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerMandolinistTyler View Post
    Hey guys,
    I now only need the remaining Nickel Creek albums plus Thile's first two solo albums and I will pretty much have all of the albums Chris has recorded. Ok, well now that I think about it, I don't have his album with Bela Fleck yet or Into the Cauldron with Mike Marhsall but I'm getting closer to having almost all of his work.
    Chris has recorded quite a few albums. I would highly recommend Into the Cauldron and Live Duets (both with Mike Marshall) and the album with Edgar Meyer as your next purchases - those 3 plus Not All Who Wander (is that the one you are referring to when you says the one with Bela Fleck?) are in my opinion the best of Chris' work. I love Nickel Creek and I really like Punch Brothers, but not as much as those albums I mention. You may have overlooked mentioning some others you do know about, but there is also the duet album with Michael Daves (most conventional bluegrass album Chris has recorded) and the Goat Rodeo Sessions.

Hi Tyler -

Check out these young performers on YouTube:

The Tuttle Kids w/ A.J. Lee
    The Turkey Creek Stringband
    Della Mae
    The Price Sisters

Young people, young ladies fantastic musicians!

Enjoy,
    Lee