Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Pegasus case -- One year review and photos

Default My Pegasus case -- One year review and photos

I've been remiss in posting a picture of the Pegasus case I ordered last year, so here are some pix. A year's worth of use is probably a better time to post a mini-review anyway.

The case has held up well. I haven't had it on an airline (yet), but it's been car-travelled to many local sessions and gigs and I couldn't be happier with it. Well, okay... I think it could probably do with 4 latches instead of 6, which seems like a bit of overkill. But I quickly got used to a two-handed method of getting the case open and shut quickly, and there may be a reason for spacing out the clasps around the shell like that. If nothing else, it's a good seal that holds up well when you're walking in the rain to the next session or gig. Us hardcore Pac Northwesterners don't use umbrellas, raincoats, or case covers, 'ya know. Those are for sissies.

Sam Gifford (a.k.a. Pegasus cases) is a great person to work with, if you're in the market for something like this. Aside from just being a well-made case (and not too heavy as fiberglass goes, due to the contoured shape), you can specify the outside shell color and a choice of interior fabric.

The case is made in Scotland, so naturally I had to go for a tartan lining, even though I don't have any Scottish background. The closest I get is a very early Brit ancestor immigrant to the USA and an Irish descendant as a great-grandmother. So I went back and forth with Sam via email, and finally decided on a Black Watch tartan, which (I think) is related to the "hunting" or casual tartan of the Grant family, which built the old Victorian pile my S.O. and I call home. That's close enough, and I like the color combination with the cream shell. If you don't want a plaid interior, there are plently of other solid color options. Mechanical structure is the *main* thing you should look for in a case, but it's fun to have these options for a personalized case.

Here are the case shots (my stained redwood-top Lebeda F5 in the case):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MB-Pegasus-in-music-room-800.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	100561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MB-Pegasus-open-with-mando-800.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	100562

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My Pegasus case -- One year review and photos

Thanks for your impressions! I'm sure there are plenty of us who've had our eyes on high-end/custom cases for a while but never jumped on it. I first head of Pegasus via Lynn Dudenbostel's build site (which I can't seem to find anymore). I'm a sucker for tartans too. Glad the case has done well for you!
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

I've had mine about three years and it suits me just fine. I like how the strap loops are located so that the case rides vertically when the strap is over one shoulder and if you out it over your head and slide the case to your back, it also rides nearly vertical too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ylrd1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	100563  

Quick addendum, for things I forgot to add:

I should mention that this mandolin has a ToneGard and it fits in that case just fine. The fit around the sides was a bit stiff when the case was new, due to the side bars, but it adjusted and compressed over a few months for an easy fit. I've never noticed any undue pressure on the top, due to the added thickness of a ToneGard.

A tightly contoured case like this doesn't have an abundance of storage space inside, but it does have two useful compartments. One is under the mid-neck support, which lifts up and can hold my Peterson StroboClip tuner and some picks. I think that compartment would hold many of the smaller clip-on tuners, but I'm not sure about something bulky like a Snark tuner. The other compartment is a thin/flat area with a cover under the headstock, where I store a few extra string packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I've had mine about three years and it suits me just fine. I like how the strap loops are located so that the case rides vertically when the strap is over one shoulder and if you out it over your head and slide the case to your back, it also rides nearly vertical too.
    Mike, thanks for posting that photo. It shows how deep the shell is around the headstock area, which my photos didn't show as well. There is protection around the headstock both laterally and in the depth of the case.

Gentlemen, did you purchase your cases directly from Scotland? If so, how was the process? Easy to order? Long wait time? I was just perusing their website and saw that they have a carbon fibre F-style mandolin case ready for lining. Part of the reason I ask is I know that Trevor the Acoustic Music Co. won't ship to the states due to customs hassles. I understand that you both have had your cases for some time now. I figured I'd ask how things went for you.
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

Timothy, as far as I know, the only way to order these cases is direct from Scotland. It was a painless process here, no different from other things I've ordered from the UK like books or musical instruments in the past.

Unless something has changed, these cases are made in production batches. So it's a question of where you're getting in on a current or future production run. There was a production run in progress when Sam took my order, and I had to wait for the next batch of cases. That took a few months, and (IIRC) the total delay from placing the order was something like eight months from order to delivery. So it's not something to buy in a hurry. I didn't have to place a deposit to get on the order list. The fee was charged to my credit card when my turn came up for the next batch and we finalized the details about color and lining. You'll need to check with Sam to see what the current process is. All my communication was via email.

I don't remember exactly what the shipping fee was, but I don't remember thinking it was outrageous... and that's halfway across the world to the USA Pacific Northwest from Scotland. Sam can clue you in on expected shipping costs, if you order a case.

9. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I live in Canada so perhaps shipping is different in the commonwealth. If I remember the wait time was about 6 months and Sam was very easy to deal with and we had a couple of friendly chats, via Skype. Basically my deal went as FP described.

11. The following members say thank you to Mike Bunting for this post:

Dried Peat in the fire place and the burning cork from the single malt
    that will be shared around before the night is 'o're, on the fire..
    so you don't need the stopper , again .. aye , and playing some tunes..

[ got my Peg, used, green, blue lining.. ]
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

@Mandroid: Aye, there's some romance in it, despite all the fiberglass.

Timothy - Trevor doesn't sell mandolin cases any more anyway,he stopped selling them over 5 years ago as the vast majority of mandolins came in their own case & new cases were a very slow turnover with small profit. He stopped selling strings for the same reason - tiny profit margins,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy S View Post
    Gentlemen, did you purchase your cases directly from Scotland? If so, how was the process? Easy to order? Long wait time? I was just perusing their website and saw that they have a carbon fibre F-style mandolin case ready for lining. Part of the reason I ask is I know that Trevor the Acoustic Music Co. won't ship to the states due to customs hassles. I understand that you both have had your cases for some time now. I figured I'd ask how things went for you.
    As I understand it the main customs hassles are with instruments that contain shell, or heaven forbid, wood. Synthetic cases shouldn't be a hassle as there are no Fish-and-Wildlife-Service regulations to get your head around.

If I had a Paganoni mandolin, here's what I would sing:

I got a Pag, home in a Peg....

Nice write-ups, boys. Sam makes a beautiful case.

17. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Oh Man, having MAS is bad enough but now I've got CAS (case acquisition syndrome) something awful! Nice review, thanks!

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

My 2010 Pegasus case started falling apart shortly after I bought it. It constantly comes unglued in many locations (thank goodness for Gorilla glue for repairs!) where the fabric is attached to the case, the neck craddle is really loose and no longer affords stable support for the instrument, a latch is quite loose, the "Pegasus" name plate fell off shortly after I got it and the green exterior color had numerous flaws in it upon delivery. It did feel nicely balanced when I used to carry my mandolin in it. Now, it collects dust in my closet until I find time to tear in to it to repair the padded neck craddle.

I am not alone with these issues with Pegasus mandolin cases.

Jim--did you buy new? If so, any feedback from the manufacturer?
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    My 2010 Pegasus case started falling apart shortly after I bought it. It constantly comes unglued in many locations (thank goodness for Gorilla glue for repairs!) where the fabric is attached to the case, the neck craddle is really loose and no longer affords stable support for the instrument, a latch is quite loose, the "Pegasus" name plate fell off shortly after I got it and the green exterior color had numerous flaws in it upon delivery. It did feel nicely balanced when I used to carry my mandolin in it. Now, it collects dust in my closet until I find time to tear in to it to repair the padded neck craddle.

I am not alone with these issues with Pegasus mandolin cases.
    That's the reason I went with a Hoffee !

Well I've never had an issue with my Pegasus. I love it and have been using continuously since I bought in 2003. Everything is still tight, the fabric is great, all the latches work, all the rubber/vynil feet are fine, etc etc. I have a green/green and a newer CF one.

Mine gets quite heavy use wandering around London: banging into posts & seats on trains & tube carriages, under tables in pubs, rides on airplanes.. I've never had to check in an airplane hold, but it's definitely been banged around considerably.

I have had experience with a number of Caltons over the years- I think those are nice too, though I vastly prefer the rounded countours of the Pegasus. When I'd carry the Calton on a strap, I'd constantly bump my ribs etc and simply notice the sharper shape. I carry the Pegasus with a shoulder strap vertically like a briefcase, it tucks in just behind my right arm and is quite easy to keep out of the way.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Responding to Jim Roberts posting: I just wrote Jim directly asking him to send me back the case he has in the cupboard for a full refurbish at my cost. Everyone knows this sort of thing isn't what anyone wants as a result of a sale. I really can't understand why he didn't address this directly with me as opposed to speaking about it on a public forum, but there you go. The world's a different place to what it used to be.

Apart from that, thanks to Michael for posting his revue. Lovely photos with a lovely traditional vibe. Thanks for all the positive comments folks. Issues - bring them to me.
    Last edited by pegasuscases; Apr-05-2013 at 5:00pm. Reason: Spelling

I'm wondering if the problems described by Jim Roberts could possibly be caused from drying out in a dry Kansas climate. Alberta is extremely dry but I keep my musical stuff in a small room in which a constant humidity is maintained. I see no sign of any failure in my Peg case after 3 or 4 years. Anyhow, this just occurred to me as a possibility, I don't posit it as a fact or anything.

Also, if I remember correctly, Sam advised me that a tartan interior would not be good for a varnished finished instrument.

I just received a very kind and generous offer from Sam and the case will soon be fixed.

As to whether or not I previously contacted him directly, after I received the case from Sam we shared correspondence and when I addressed a few issues regarding the case I received the following closing remark from Sam on January 3, 2011:

" If there's likely to be any hassle I'd prefer to be left alone." So, I honored his wish and left him alone so as to avoid conflict.

Thanks for the follow up, Sam. I look forward to getting the case back from you. I owe you a pint!
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Apr-05-2013 at 3:41pm.

Case closed...pun intended!
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Apr-05-2013 at 3:40pm.

Blog Entries

Long time Pegasus owner. Never an issue. Best case on the planet for my money. I am, however, about 75 feet lower sea level than my neighbor Jim currently which could be cause for a difference in climate.

Actually folks, the adhesive problem is a bit more complicated than just temperature and humidity. I also found out that the folks who make up the adhesive have changed the recipe they use dramatically due to tighter controls on how the stuff is made up. To make sure of a safe bond I'm double-applying, thereby using twice as much adhesive as before.

The new glue performs differently to before and is just a bit of a pain in the behind. The guy who looks after all my adhesive needs is proposing designing a recipe to suit exactly what I need do with it.

I've worked out also that varnish finishes aren't affected by the adhesive at all as long as the whole thing has had time to gas out completely. I also try and make sure the fit around the body isn't too tight to allow a modicum of air to circulate. I also like that I'm using either wool or cotton around the case. A more natural material which will breathe better than synthetic materials.

The best to you all. Sam

I seem to remember that you told me that the tartan material might not be good for a varnished finish. Maybe I misunderstood, I've been wrong before!
    As a former sheep rancher on the wide plains of western Canada, i heartily applaud your use of wool!
    At any rate, I'm a satisfied customer and enjoyed doing business and chatting with you in the process. A great product, and thanks.