Thread: Harmony A style Mandolin Model H8018

Default Harmony A style Mandolin Model H8018

I've just bought one on Ebay. Can anyone tell me how long and where they were made? US or far east? Apart from the tiny gold sticker with the serial no. there is no 'made in' mark on it. Is it solid wood or laminate? Any info appreciated. First impressions quite a loud bright sound but high action. It needs new strings anyway.

thanks

Jim in UK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harmony mandolin1.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	100588  

Default Re: Harmony A style Mandolin Model H8018

It's one of these. It was imported into the US from Asia. They have nothing to with the Harmony instruments built in the US. These were imported under dozens of brand names. It's laminated.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by jnmuir1 View Post
    I've just bought one on Ebay. Can anyone tell me how long and where they were made? US or far east? Apart from the tiny gold sticker with the serial no. there is no 'made in' mark on it. Is it solid wood or laminate? Any info appreciated. First impressions quite a loud bright sound but high action. It needs new strings anyway.

thanks

Jim in UK
    Thanks for the replies. So it seems there were a number of budget brands like this.
    Were they only made in the 80's?
    Was the H8081 sticker peculiar to the Harmony badge only? Do the numbers have any special significance? There's so much on Harmony guitars on the Web...

Jim

These mass-produced Asian instruments were imported under many names, by different distributors. If you read the entire thread Mike E linked you'll find plenty of examples.

I would guess that the model number was for the Harmony distributor only. The Harmony DataBase website allows searching by "H" number, but it doesn't list "H8081."

The Harmony website says the company underwent "several owner and management changes" in the 1980's, so it would be difficult to say who was using the label when this mandolin was imported. During this period, Harmony was selling a lot of its products through the J C Penny Co., either in-store or through catalogs.

If you paid a low price, you've purchased a reasonable Asian-made plywood entry-level instrument to play, one of thousands that were imported in the late 20th century.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    These mass-produced Asian instruments were imported under many names, by different distributors. If you read the entire thread Mike E linked you'll find plenty of examples.

I would guess that the model number was for the Harmony distributor only. The Harmony DataBase website allows searching by "H" number, but it doesn't list "H8081."

The Harmony website says the company underwent "several owner and management changes" in the 1980's, so it would be difficult to say who was using the label when this mandolin was imported. During this period, Harmony was selling a lot of its products through the J C Penny Co., either in-store or through catalogs.

If you paid a low price, you've purchased a reasonable Asian-made plywood entry-level instrument to play, one of thousands that were imported in the late 20th century.
    Thanks for info Allen. It was 80 pounds. I'll reserve judgement till I get new strings and the action lowered. Jim

That's about $122.00 US off the top of my head.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Someone offered me one of these mandolins last night for my appraisal, and I guesstimated $75. The one I saw had a bit of a back-bend in the neck, with resultant too-low action, so I downgraded it.

They really are very common, aren't they? Wonder what factory turned them out; since we're talking 30 years ago, I'd guess in Japan or Korea, rather than China?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Japan and Korea. Both labels have shown up. I have no idea as to what the factory name was. I think 75.00 is about right either way here in the states. Where the OP is they don't have as much choice.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber