Thread: Broke my arm. What can I do while it heals?

Default Broke my arm. What can I do while it heals?

Slipped on the ice and broke my left arm. Can't move my elbow for the next few weeks but I have a decent amount of mobility in my left hand. I REALLY miss my mando. Are there any exercises I can do so I'm not miserably rusty when the cast comes off?
    Gibson F-5G

Default Re: Broke my arm. What can I do while it heals?

My left arm is my fretting hand and I assume its yours too. So I would suggest Mike Marshall's open string exercises in his Finger Busters book. Great right hand exercises.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

depending on your Drs advice , you could use a rubber ball to squeeze and a rubber band to provide some resistance while extending your fingers against it to maintain some strength in your left hand.
    Jim Richmond

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I know how you feel. I had rotator cuff surgery (again) at the end of February. I hope to be able to play again in a few weeks. It is hard to look at the mando cases sitting there, and not be able to play them. What is harder is knowing that your fingers are going to hurt for a while when you can finally play again. I wish I had a good answer for what to do. Jim's advice is good, if it's OK with your Dr. If there's a physical therapist you can talk to, maybe they would have some other ideas for working the fingers and keeping them strong. Good Luck!
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about your accent. Get well soon!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna View Post
    My left arm is my fretting hand and I assume its yours too. So I would suggest Mike Marshall's open string exercises in his Finger Busters book. Great right hand exercises.
    This!

I posted an article on my website about things to do to practice music when you can't play. Check that out for some other ideas.

http://www.chipbooth.com/articles.htm

7. The following members say thank you to Chip Booth for this post:

I'm in the same boat. I took a tumble five weeks ago and broke my right arm where it meets the shoulder. I'm a lefty player so that's my fretting hand. The break itself didn't hurt too much but the muscle spasms were a thing to behold. I opened my bouzouki case last Friday (the first time since 6 March that any of my stringed instruments have seen daylight) and tuned it up, with great difficulty, I might add. I tried one D chord and put the zouk back in the case. I can be impatient but I'm waiting until I'm done with physical therapy before I play. In the meantime I've been doing some reading on music theory and memorizing tunes in my head. Good luck.

Paul

9. The following members say thank you to citeog for this post:

I broke my shoulder in 2006 and when I got home form the ER drugged up, the first thing I did was open the mando case and start fretting. Ask your doc though. I kept playing through the recovery, (not fiddle alas)
    I play better now than ever.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

I broke my left shoulder blade and was out for about a month before I could feel a fretboard again. So in the meantime I used my right hand to guide my mouse to buy more mandolins to stave off my serious MAS. It worked!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Learn harmonica?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I broke my left shoulder blade and was out for about a month before I could feel a fretboard again. So in the meantime I used my right hand to guide my mouse to buy more mandolins to stave off my serious MAS. It worked!
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sing A Capella.. or Doo-Wopp, with your friends , 4 part harmony..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Learn harmonica?
    I found my old harp rack, stuck a G mouth organ in it and relearned "Heart Of Gold". A nice trip down memory lane for me.

And Paul, I'm now able to play whistle again so that cooktown ironwood Busman of mine is earning it's keep once more.

Paul

As if an injury is not expensive enough! hehe

I haven't broken an arm, but I have broke my leg three times. It takes a while to come back from an injury and it is going to be discouraging. There is just no way around it. Practice some ear training, brush up on theory, do some song writing and spend a lot more time on the Mandolin Cafe.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

John, I'm sorry that you broke your arm. I really fear doing that, almost more so than breaking a leg. I'd do the picking hand open-string exercises, as BigTuna first mentioned, and take the opportunity to listen to a lot of new music. Atrophy of your fretting hand is going to be a concern, so I'd do what your physical therapist suggests to ward that off. Also, I'd walk a lot if it does not hurt your left arm.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Because music is so mental, we can work on ANY of that side of things when we can't play.

1) Learn anything you want by ear by singing it out loud, very slowly.
    2) If you are an improviser sing improvisations as you'd want to (be able to) play them
    3) Study some music theory
    4) Listen to a LOT of music
    5) Using mental imagery, imagine yourself playing, exactly as you'd like to hear yourself

I had to stop playing for about 3 years with severe overuse injuries in the 90s. When I came out of it, I was a better player due to doing the above.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I've heard this said and I believe it to be true, to keep your fingers active and moving is a good musical exercise. Touch the tips of your fingers to the tip of your thump, vary the order vary the tempo but keep the fingers moving. I do this a lot, one time I was doing this exercise in a cafe and someone asked me if I played the banjo, I said no, just the fiddle and guitar! You'll be pickin soon, don't get discouraged!

Well, that sucks, hope you heal quickly.

You could always read up on music theory, lots of good sites out there to help. I have found this site to be easy to understand and helpful.

Do you read standard notation? If not, now would be a good time to start. The TablEdit page is a great resource. You can pick a tune, then practice counting out loud as you follow along. Once you get the counting down pat, the rest will fall in place once you pick up the mando again.

Finally, try transposing on the fly. Pick a very easy song in G and write down the notes. Now write them in C, then D.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are mental things you can work on while your body heals. Good luck.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

This is when a nose flute comes in handy.
    http://mouthmusic.com/humanato.htm

I can say from too much experience, you can make music with a variety of broken bones or cut fingers if you have one of these around. And they are also very handy to keep pesky children busy. Used to be 25 cents when I started playing, so buy them in quantity. I can play some Bach on mine. Cheap, portable and versatile.
    Kathryn

i wish you a speedy recovery
    be patient..
    let it go, for now
    that was really hard for me decades ago

i have had long breaks due to travel or work even school

heres the good news

enjoy the break,
    dont 'fret about it'
    read, listen to music
    walk (safely)

youll come back to your music stronger and refreshed

if you dont like this suggestion
    then
    mentally play songs-no joke, think about playing and your muscles will respond minutely
    wokrs with singing too and other sports as well

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Because music is so mental, we can work on ANY of that side of things when we can't play.
    Pete is right on target here. The more advanced a player one becomes, the less and less it's about the physical and more and more about the mental.

If you don't put your EAR in charge, you'll end up "playing" memorized finger patterns and/or digital (as in finger digits) diarrhea. The fingers should follow the ear, not the other way around.

Work on your sol-feg; you'll get your ear training and your theory all rolled into one.

Niles H.

Sorry to hear that John.........I agree with Pete Martin.........listen to lots of music & focus on some new tunes that you can throw yourself into once you've healed...:-)
    Get well soon.
    Peace
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

I am now in month four after some serious left shoulder surgery. I can finally play some guitar and mandolin. Looking back I should have taken up the bowed psaltery during my recovery.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber