Thread: Jim Garber - Tree of Life - Soundcloud

Default Jim Garber - Tree of Life - Soundcloud

I've just been listening to Jim garber on soundcloud.. "Tree of Life" , "Sogno di Bimba" and
    "Loon's Delight". really good stuff.

Jim, are you playing guitar and mandolin?

Ian

Default Re: Jim Garber - Tree of Life - Soundcloud

Thanks, Ian. No, those were my first studio recordings at a friend's home setup with some of my favorite players and friends. I do play guitar but would still prob opt for a live recording -- there is something that doesn't work as well as playing with others unless you are quite adept at multitracking, which I am not.

Here are the notes... I have a feeling they don't always show up on the page:

I wrote Tree of Life in 1988 in honor of my sister and brother-in-law's wedding. It appeared on a compilation put out by a collective of folks on the Comando list. I am playing a 1983 Flatiron A5-2 mandolin. Peter Brazier plays guitar on this one. Recorded by Ray Alden.

Sogna di Bimba is a soulful Italian mazurka with Mark Murphy on bass and Ambrose Verdibello on guitar. On that one I am playing a 1924 Gibson F4 mandolin. Recorded by Ray Alden.

wrote Loon's Delight on a vacation on a beautiful lake in Maine. The other musicians were Mark Murphy on bass and Ambrose Verdibello on guitar. I am playing an early 1960's Gibson solidbody electric EM200 mandolin thru a '64 Fender Vibrolux reverb amp. Recorded by Ray Alden.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Tree of Life is probably my favorite song to play on mandolin. Here's a link to the TablEdit file at Mandozine.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Indeed, Tree Of Life is good fun. One note on the TablEdit file, the B part is somewhat different from the notation Jim has posted on the Cafe in the past -- I prefer Jim's original.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    I prefer Jim's original.
    Yes, me, too. In fact I learned it from that version.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

JEStanekMLT 

Thanks for the additional info... all the more special as you wrote two of the pieces... I really like Tree of Life.. So not only a great mandolin detective, but a composer... and considering the way you hold your mandolin... an incredibly good player

Name:  garber.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  4.8 KB

Talking of how to hold the mandolin....This mandolin instructor on youtube has made me realise I have the notes all wrong (according to him a semitone above E is Eb.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BccifzVxQwk

Even better is his advice on "how to tune your mandolin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPMUM3rEKg

For risk of offending the young man, I'll refrain from giving an opinion ... you just keep holding your mandolin as pictured, your doing fine
    Best wishes to all across the pond
    Ian

That chord is Jethro's demented chord.

If I ever get around to it I want to arrange the waltz for mandolin ensemble. Never enough time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Just wanted to see if this new feature really works.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Very nice, Mr. Garber. The tone of the mando fits the piece perfectly. I have just put this tune on my to-do list.
    And thanks for posting, trebleclef!
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

If anyone needs it, here are the dots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails treeoflife_abc.pdf  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

On my PC I had the playable track directly in the comment. On my iPad I have a URL. So, I would say it does. Thank you for sharing this with us Jim. I have appreciated this tune for some time and always play it as a part of my warm up exercises.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Cool -- I hadn't seen an announcement for this feature. Let's try this on my pale imitation:

Martin

If anyone needs it, here are the dots.
    Jim: Your PDF has a blank bar in measure 8 -- the rising double-stop sequence. Probably your ABC converter software didn't like the double stops. Here are the dots you had posted in an earlier thread some years ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreeLife.gif 
Views:	594 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	102903

Martin

18. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Thanks, Martin, I hadn't noticed that. I have a feeling that it was the concertina.net site which is what I usually use for quick converting to pdf.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: