Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tone Gard

Default Re: Tone Gard

Ok. I am naturally a sceptic. My tone guard came today from folk musician.com. It made a difference I volume immediately on my Eastman 615 and it fits in the case. Gotta love it!

That would be a skeptic, I believe......

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    That would be a skeptic, I believe......
    Both spellings are acceptable.

So if you're not in doubt, does that make you an 'antisceptic'? Personally, I've discovered that alcohol works very well as an antisceptic.

5. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Just make sure you use one of them or the context takes on a whole different meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    It did come shrink wrapped and sealed for your protection.

I ordered a ToneGard for my Rigel G-110 last month. It was a Christmas present, so I couldn't try it out until yesterday. First, the owner, Tony, was very communicative and helpful during and after the transaction. He really cares about the product and your experience with it. He gave me some unsolicited updates, which proved very helpful. So I put the RigelGard, as it is called in my situration, on the G-110 and was very impressed with how much better the instrument sounded. I was aware that keeping the instrument away from the body allows it to vibrate better, but I wondered if that small space the ToneGard gives would really matter. And it does. I've been curious about them for years and decided to go for it after seeing Grisman using it in concert back in November.
    Brian

Just got my Angled Right Traditional (no angle) for my Eastman 605. It went on extremely easily and has stayed put, and it immediately made my mandolin noticeably louder. I like it, it's nice and light too. I got it because my teacher recommended I get a Tone Guard (and a foot stool), and I liked that it was aluminum.

I mentioned in another string that I'm getting a little howl on the D string now, so I'm going to try using grommets below the bridge.

All I know is it sure is hard to find a used one for sale anywhere!

Mine was an earlier round wire spray painted .. they are at the powder coater Now , in the queue..

it's cheaper if I wait till someone else needing stuff done ,
    as the Heating a room sized oven with 440 v 4 phase Power
    to a hot pizza scorching level.. is the expensive part of the process..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjune18 View Post
    I have seen countless people rant and rave about the tonegards here on the forum. But I would love to see a video or hear an audio clip. Anyone have anything out there??"
    Ever listen to Ricky Skaggs, Sierra Hull, or David Grisman? IF so you may have heard what the Tone Gard does for their sound. Tone Gard works by eliminating the dampening effect your belly does to the back of your mandolin. Vibration has to happen in music. Same with taking off the pick Guard. There is a piece of foam that contributes to a dampening effect on the front of the mandolin. Dampen the vibration and you dampen tone and volume. You want sustain and volume. Take away the dampening effect factor and you can make your mandolin tone and volume improve.
    A cast brass tail piece can also help with tone. WHY? Brass rings. Ever see a bell made out of plastic or wood or bone? There is a reason for this. Brass rings. Another thing you might want to add to if you want to go full tone and volume is a Rosa String works Antler saddle and nut. You could also go with a Zero Glide nut. ALL of these things done in combination can give you one nice volume adjustment that you may like. Tone Gard is a great addition to your mandolin. In a bluegrass jam you want all the volume you can get because you will not be plugging into an amp. You want to be heard when it is your turn to solo. I hope this helps.

My pickguard does NOT touch the top of the mandolin, nor do many guards these days. I have a brass tailpiece and have removed the cover as less weight made the sound much better. A lot of these changes are subjective and can be positive or negative depending on the mandolin or the player. I have used a tone guard for years, but have had it off for the last 6 months. If I perform I am plugged in and get less chance of feedback with out it on the mandolin. When I was using a Schertler it was absolutely necessary to have it off or it would feedback at fairly low volumes. When I sit I don't need it, and in my case I feel it puts pressure on the mandolin in the case. It is sitting very handy at home should I want to use it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Hi !
    I have 2 tone-Gards ; one is on the "F" type, the second one on a classic flat type "Egildo Emmanuele", the spiritual son of the great Embergher (look on my picture it is the front one)

Alltogether works very well, more projection, better and stronger tone

thread revived, 4 years on.. the gloss powder coat is beautiful, one on my A4 protects the varnish
    from my sweaty clothing too ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Pjones3 View Post
    All I know is it sure is hard to find a used one for sale anywhere!
    Same could be said for Edsels and Yugos.........

Sorry, that was low, even by my standards......but hard to resist! (and almost 4 years later!)

It's a zombue thread, but here's my take...

I bought a Tone Gard and put it on my Kentucky KM272 oval hole. It made a huge difference and I have one coming now for my Collings. I'm a fan.