Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaufman Kamp 2013--Who's Going?

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Default Kaufman Kamp 2013--Who's Going?

OK, we're only 30 days away from Kamp! Who is going? What are you looking forward to this year?
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kaufman Kamp 2013--Who's Going?

Alright, the annual SKAK Cafe roll call!
    I'm going for sure, and I've convinced (though it wasn't difficult) six more new to kamp folks to go too. Looking forward to seeing you Phil, as well as the other usual suspects. I'm ready to JAM.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Another Phil here. I'll be there and rumor says Gutbucket is coming too.
    Think I'll go to bed now and start storing sleep time since I won't get any that week!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

The Fun Girls will definitely be there!! 29 days and counting them down!

I will be there

Col George

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Week 2 only this year. Definately looking forward to good company and better jamming. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I'm in! Looking forward to the cause of all that sleep deprivation.
    Keith

We'll be there! Kshot, good to see you'll be back. Philphool, Pickloser, and other old buddies, looking forward to seeing you guys! I'll confess I haven't progressed AT ALL on the mandolin (too many other things going on), but it will still be a blast.

Celia (and Wayne)
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5
    Old Wave (Bill Bussmann) Oval-A

Awesome! Its a real joy to pick again with such great folks!
    Keith

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Yes, Phil, Gutbucket is coming. I shamed him into it and we're rooming together so we can't blight other people's lives. Hoping for Beeson again. Looking forward to picking with you and Laura again. Laura, you need to show me that blues scale rendition of Cherokee Shuffle you were doing the other day. Kshot, glad to see you coming back as well. We're going to have to reprise Drummers of England with Gutbucket. I see that Russ Barenberg is teaching this year. Maybe we'll let him play that tune with us since he wrote it. Tee! I assume Celia and Wayne are coming as well.
    We few, we happy few.

I'll be there...but you know my shame Vinyard.

I'm looking forward to...learning new things......and getting our classical grove on again
    Last edited by KristinEliza; May-21-2013 at 11:03am. Reason: can't spel
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Just got a new Red Diamond Vintage with "July 9 voiceing", so y'all know I will be glad to pick all nite at Kamp K.. I look forward to meeting more Mandalin Cafe members

Geo

Yes, I burst into tears when I heard Kristin's dark secret. But she has assured me there is some more Telemann in my future at Kamp.

I am also bringing my new/old 1921 Gibson if anybody wants to take it out for a spin.

And...Brad and I are roomies again. Hoping for Beason!
    Phil Vinyard
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Interesting idea, will practice up on the octave! Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrwky View Post
    Yes, Phil, Gutbucket is coming. I shamed him into it and we're rooming together so we can't blight other people's lives. Hoping for Beeson again. Looking forward to picking with you and Laura again. Laura, you need to show me that blues scale rendition of Cherokee Shuffle you were doing the other day. Kshot, glad to see you coming back as well. We're going to have to reprise Drummers of England with Gutbucket. I see that Russ Barenberg is teaching this year. Maybe we'll let him play that tune with us since he wrote it. Tee! I assume Celia and Wayne are coming as well.

Vinyard...does it have to be Telemann...he is so...last year!

I'll bring a variety...maybe we can get some more readers interested...if not...no matter!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

No Telemann? Hmmmm. Did Mahler write anything interesting for Mandolin? Wait...no...he never wrote anything interesting for anybody...

All this aside--anybody at Kamp that reads music and would like to do a little classical jam, make sure & look up Kristin or me.
    Phil Vinyard
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Actually...Mahler's Symphonies No. 7 and No. 8 have a mandolin part! I think our biggest issue would be finding the french horn players at kamp to put these together...and we only get 5 minutes on stage...THAT is the biggest hurdle in performing Mahler at kamp I think! Mahler at Kamp! HA!

The parts are readily available on imslp...should we start practicing?
    KristinEliza

Facebook

My wife and I traveled to Loudon TN for a wedding over the weekend, and since we were so close I took her through Maryville to show her where all the magic happens. Glad to report that the campus is still there and appears ready for us. No air conditioners in the windows of Anderson--weren't they going to remodel that building this summer? What would it be like to have a class where you don't have to shout over a window unit???
    Phil Vinyard
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

I'm going!!! I'll be in Intermediate Mando and I'm looking forward to sleeping, eating, jamming, visiting and NOT working my butt off!

I'm going to week 1 for guitar and considering week 2 (beg 101) for the mandolin. I kind of wondered if I should sign up for week 2 or just bring my new mando and hang out in the back of the jams.....

I was looking at the previous threads for tips on what to bring so if you veterans think of anything please post here for this newbie. I am looking forward to learning how to play this wonderful instrument.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Bigskygirl - if you have the dough, I would suggest you go ahead and sign up for week 2...AND...don't take beginner 101...take beginner level mando. The mando instructors are great and you don't want to miss them! If you play guitar already I think you will be bored in beg 101 mando. Beg 101 if really for people with NO musical background, or have never picked up the instrument before. However, if that is you...then take beg 101!

What to bring??? An umbrella...we've had some pretty big storms in the past. Light weight clothes...it's hot and humid! A light jacket...when the AC is on too high. A seat cushion...those seats for the concerts are Un...Com...fort...a...ble! Don't worry if you forget anything...most of us make a run to Target or Kroger or Wal-Mart as soon as we check in to load up on supplies and forgotten essentials!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

22. The following members say thank you to KristinEliza for this post:

Hi Kristin,

Thanks for the quick response. I have been going back and forth on what level to sign up for. On guitar for week one I know most everything except - how to play with others - which seems the point of the Kamp. I was going to sign up for the beg level but after reading threads here maybe I should go for intermediate.

For the mandolin - I'll take your advice and go for the beginner classes not the 101. I do know some chords and such and I don't want to be in such a low level that I'd be bored. I thought a one week immersion on the mando would be just the thing to kick start my mando playing.

Bigskygirl--The other thing to bring (besides NoDoz...) is bathroom stuff. We stay in stripped down dorm rooms so all that's in there is toilet paper. Need hand soap (OK, I work in a hospital and like to wash my hands...), cup for water when you brush your teeth, etc. That surprised me my first year.

I agree with Kristin--you'll do fine in the beginning mando class with a background in guitar. If it helps, I have a set of survival chords for mandolin at http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...2&d=1331468837

You will have so much fun! This is my fourth year and I can't wait to get there!
    Phil Vinyard
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

25. The following members say thank you to Phil Vinyard for this post:

Thanks Phil, I was just looking at your chart and going to print it out. I'm going to practice strumming the mando so at least I can do that - I do have a 12 string guitar but the mando is a alot different and I'd like to at least be able to strum thru a song. I've been hooked on Wagon Wheel on guitar and ukulele lately so at least I know the chord progression.

Funny, a few weeks ago I was thinking about bailing on going altogether and now I'm signed up for both weeks.....

Blog Entries

You're in for wonderful time, bigskygirl. I agree with the others about beginning mandolin, rather than 101. I look forward to meeting you. I'll be playing a Phoenix two point with a blingy headstock. (My spellchecker wants to change "blingy headstock" to "clingy breadsticks"--glad I caught that.)
    Laura / pickloser

28. The following members say thank you to pickloser for this post: