Thread: VINTAGE ORIGINAL DOBRO RESONATOR 8 STRING MANDOLIN on Ebay

Default VINTAGE ORIGINAL DOBRO RESONATOR 8 STRING MANDOLIN on Ebay

Anyone have any idea on the age and value of this item .thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190839784902

Default Re: VINTAGE ORIGINAL DOBRO RESONATOR 8 STRING MANDOLIN on Ebay

It looks to be a Regal made instrument (they built them under license), which places it between 1929-41. I'm guessing somewhat that it's a model 210, available 1939-41. Hopefully someone with more expertise in this area will be along soon.

What's it worth? Given that it's a seven day listing with no reserve, we're about to get a pretty accurate market price. I'd hazard a guess that it'll finish reasonably close to $1000 dollars.

It's a business seller with a clear return policy, so the worst you'd be out is the return shipping. It's not a good time at the moment, or I'd be bidding on this myself.

I've got one just like that that I traded some cheaper mandos and $$ for the aprox. value of $1000. If you could get one for anything under $500, it would be a steal. Just know that they often need neck resets that cost a couple hundred bucks. They're sweet little mandos. That one appears to be aprox. 1935.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

When I bought mine 15+ years ago, you could find 'em for $300 or less. Check and see if it's marked "National Dobro Co.," which would place it after the National/Dobro merger (c. 1934).

Agree with Chief about the probability of neck joint problems. Mine needed a re-set; Dobro/Regal were notorious for using less-than-top-grade wood for parts like neck blocks. Not a deal killer, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I restored one of those a while back-theres a thread here somewhere with pictures..The tailblock had compressed and the neck had lifted but nothing had broken or separated.It was a time consuming bear to say the least. The head and tail blocks appeared to be basswood,too soft for the intended purpose but I got her up and running again.I'd make sure it's not suffering either of those ills before i'd take a stab at it.Luckily I did the work myself as a restoration project (I only paid 125.00 for it),I don't know what a bonified luthier would charge for that kind of work.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Last couple of years, I've seen several of these Dobro mandos change hands for around $650. In that range I think it would be a good score.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Grommet View Post
    Last couple of years, I've seen several of these Dobro mandos change hands for around $650. In that range I think it would be a good score.

Scott
    That is waht I sold mine for a few years back. Keep in mind that they can be one hell of a jam buster in the wrong hands!

j.
    www.condino.com

Went for $785. Feels like a fair price.