Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Mindful Newbie

Default Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    i saw this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vint...#ht_361wt_1321

But JGarber already posted I see. But...it's still there "this week"
    I am a total newbie, but I imagine you can buy a pretty damn good new mandolin for $2000, no?

Blog Entries

i saw this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vint...#ht_361wt_1321

But JGarber already posted I see. But...it's still there "this week"
    So how does one get a mandolin into a fiddle case anyway?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrquincy View Post
    I am a total newbie, but I imagine you can buy a pretty damn good new mandolin for $2000, no?
    It's possible, of course, that a retopped 1922 mandolin by James Winning of Halifax possesses a tone that would cause grown men to weep, camels to sprout wings and fly, and the Queen of England to climb a persimmon tree and bay at the moon.

Possible, but not likely.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Jim 

Mindful Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    It's possible, of course, that a retopped 1922 mandolin by James Winning of Halifax possesses a tone that would cause grown men to weep, camels to sprout wings and fly, and the Queen of England to climb a persimmon tree and bay at the moon.

giggety giggety goo

Speaking of A4s, did we mention this one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-GIBSON-...item2eceeb3144

BIN of $5,700. Didn't Aerosmith write a song about that?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

The links to photos in the eBay add are all fouled up but yeah, that price -- Uff-ta!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post

Martin!!!! It is a Winning mandolin!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Martin!!!! It is a Winning mandolin!
    Sarcasm detector on red alert!
    Bernie
    ____

11. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

When it comes to his merchandise presentation, this seller's style oozes self confidence.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stridenti-...item27dfa9e475

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	115107
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	115108

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    When it comes to his merchandise presentation, this seller's style oozes self confidence.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stridenti-...item27dfa9e475
    Peter: This one really doesn't apply in this thread. it already has 7 bids. I have seen a lot worse. At least it has a top on it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, yes, the seller has added two more pictures since I posted that link, showing the mandolin top. That way, my post has really lost its pont.

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Jim, yes, the seller has added two more pictures since I posted that link, showing the mandolin top. That way, my post has really lost its pont.
    With a starting price of £0.01 I doubt even the lack of a top would have deterred bidders in search of that elusive bargain.

I missed this model in the lineup
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-MANDO...9#ht_25wt_1313
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_55.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	116330  
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Excellent. That is exceedingly rare in the matte black finish... I have only seen the sunburst model. Be sure to wear your goggles and protective headgear when playing that one.

GIBSON MANDOLIN MODEL PRO-01X. INCLUDES CASE. PURCHASED FROM A GIBSON COMPANY EMPLOYEE IN 2003, JUST AFTER THE MANDOLIN WAS REFURBISHED.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Excellent. That is exceedingly rare in the matte black finish... I have only seen the sunburst model.
    And it still has the OHSC. That's a collector's item in its own right.

Here's something I saw the other day at the local pawn shop: a 1916 Gibson A mandolin, asking $1200. The headstock had 1/3 of it broken off and has been reglued. The one set of tuners was broken off in that mishap. The back has come off and has been crudely reglued. Not the original tailpiece. He says original bridge, but I am doubtful on that. The pick guard is missing, and someone has put one of those glue-on transparent plastic pick guards. The pawnshop owner says that with a bit of effort it can be easily returned to mint condition. http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ561443482

Overpriced smurf mandolin: only $525. Hurry up before some one grabs it in the Buy It Now!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	116539  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

"Vintage Antique Gibson" A-style
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-anti...item417dc1feaf

Lots to pick on fairly here ("Antique?" From Gibsons lauded 1960s era? A store could ask $3000??).
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

First off, it's been poorly refinished, so it ain't even worth the $989.99 they're starting with.

It would be a shame to part a professional musician from such a prized instrument at any price.

Slightly strange though that a third generation professional player should have only just parted with the instruction book he learnt from.

OUR 7 DAY GUARANTEE:

We understand that finding the right instrument for you can be difficult. Sometimes the perfect instrument for one person isn't the best for another, and for this reason we have a special return policy.

If you decide you don't like the way your instrument plays or it just isn't the right one for you, you can return it (within 7 days of package receipt). You will received a refund of the total price minus shipping and a $29.99 restocking fee*.

*This mandolin is a delicate instrument and should be treated as such. If damages occur for any reason AFTER you have received the mandolin you will still be able to return it but will be charged the full cost of repairs (a minimum of $39.99 in addition to the fees listed above).
    You couldn't make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by acousticphd View Post
    "Vintage Antique Gibson" A-style
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-anti...item417dc1feaf

Lots to pick on fairly here ("Antique?" From Gibsons lauded 1960s era? A store could ask $3000??).
    I almost posted this one!!! That description, LOL! Even I know (from here on the Cafe) that the 60's weren't Gibson's finest years ...

In the seller's defense: at least he is honest about the history of the mandolin. The grandfather damaged it on stage and had it fixed. The father refinished it himself to surprise Grandpa -- I can imagine what he said after that. Then is was repaired and refinished yet again. Hey, it might be worth it just for the stories. It has certainly been thru the mill and may not sell at that price but the seller is trying. We shall see.

For historical purposes:

Beautiful antique Gibson a model mandolin serial number 31991 (from my research this would put it between a 61 and a 69 model).

SOUND:
    This mandolin has an incredible sound and an incredible history. I have been playing mandolins my entire life and I have never played a nicer mandolin than this. It has that loud crisp clear Gibson bark that everyone loves, and would be a perfect professional level mandolin for any player. I am confident you will not find a better sounding mandolin anywhere, and certainly not for a better price.

This is your chance to get a piece of bluegrass history for an incredible deal. This mandolin might sell for $3,000 at a music shop, but I'm starting the bid at under $1,000! The mandolin comes with what I believe is the original case (the case does need repair) and has been strung with brand new high quality strings.

HISTORY:
    This mandolin represents three generations of bluegrass musical history. It has been played professionally by my grandfather, my father, and myself. It is not a mandolin that simply decorated a shelf or sat unplayed in a closet. This mandolin has been played regularly since it was new. I don't think it would be a stretch to say it has been played every day since the 60s (minus the times it was repaired).

My grandfather often told of how he'd saved up for almost an entire year to buy the mandolin, and of how he'd drunkenly damaged it once on stage. He so loved the sound of the mandolin that he paid a week's wages to have it professionally restored (notice the patches on each side and on the back of the mandolin).

When my father was still young he thought he'd surprise my grandfather by refinishing the mandolin, but, not knowing what he was doing, he ended up doing more damage than repair. This marked the second time my grandfather had to have the mandolin repaired (The faceplate was refinished where it had been sanded and cracks around each sound hole were repaired).

My dad had the mandolin repaired again last year (a crack in the center of the faceplate was repaired and the whole mandolin was refinished). I hate to part with such an important piece of my family's musical history, but, as a medical student, I'm having trouble making ends meet while not falling too deep into debt. I hope whoever buys this mandolin appreciates the sound that has transcended three generations, and continues to make history with it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It is interesting, I don't think I could part with my grandfather's mandolin with that much history. What would it actually be worth?

In the seller's defense: at least he is honest about the history of the mandolin.
    Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I'm not convinced by that played professionally every day line at all. I'd have expected him to learn mandolin from his father, not that book, if what he says has even a semblance of truth.

I have been playing mandolins my entire life
    is rather at odds with

Bluegrass mandolin book. This is how I learned to play and it served me well! I'm now an excellent mandolin player!
    Teach Yourself Bluegrass Mandolin was first published in 1999 (and remains in print).

He's got another "vintage" mandolin up for grabs too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-vint...-/281281661368

He did manage to sell a uke (after 2 price drops), no feedback's been left on the transaction yet.

Ukelele brought back from Hawaii. Has a very nice leather case with plush interior. I believe it is a soprano but may be a concert. The action could stand to be lowered, but it plays great as is and has an amazing sound. I have used this instrument on several professional recordings and it sounds great!
    Last edited by houseworker; Mar-12-2014 at 9:07pm.