Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1698

Thread: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Default Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Is it the “Custom” high gravel grade orange peel finish on the top that makes it custom or what? I’d say if those are the “good pictures” I don’t think I’d use that one in particular. Whatever, I’m not buying it.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

This may not be the right thread for this instrument, although at $7,500 we can agree that it won't find a buyer. But it certainly deserves to be discussed, with its offset soundhole and matching pickguard, as well as a bowl that looks like it might have been carved from a single block. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antiqu...UAAOSwg0FgGGLm
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

It's beautiful, with several intriguing design features. But you're right - it will never sell at that price. Not with it "missing a few strings."
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    This may not be the right thread for this instrument, although at $7,500 we can agree that it won't find a buyer. But it certainly deserves to be discussed, with its offset soundhole and matching pickguard, as well as a bowl that looks like it might have been carved from a single block. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antiqu...UAAOSwg0FgGGLm
    Bears some resemblance to Waldo's and Walter Voorhees was also in Saginaw, MI. I did find a 1904 patent about using wet rawhide to form the bowl (I think). You can read it attached here. And some photos from the auction. What is amazing to me, aside from that mirrored side soundhole and pickguard, is the arching of the top. I just sent an email to Professor Ruppa, Waldo and Vega expert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	191737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	191741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	351.0 KB 
ID:	191738  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-6.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	191742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-4.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	191740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-8.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	191743  

US755086.pdf  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Right ... you'd think for $7.5K they'd at least string it up.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

True enough. This shows up a lot. It's as if these sellers think those old strings have some sort of antique value.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

7. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    True enough. This shows up a lot. It's as if these sellers think those old strings have some sort of antique value.
    That's the difference between reality and The Antiques Roadshow.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I agree not at that price. But, engaging in a little thought experiment, I don't see anything that precludes it having an excellent voice. So what if we were to know somehow that it sounded great. Maybe not $7500 great, but maybe $5000 great. If we were to know that it was a real horse of a player, perhaps we would be jumping at it.

I mean its cool, its interesting, it has a little history, its quirky, and it needs some love. Who among is not also described in this way.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

True story ... the second mandolin I ever played belonged to Karen, the first girl I ever kissed, who kept it under her bed in her dorm room in college. She said it had belonged to her grandmother, and she let me borrow it but was very concerned that I not break any of the strings, because they were the ORIGINAL STRINGS!!!! Well, in fact I *did* break a string, and never having installed a mandolin string before (my experience with changing strings at the time was limited to the viola), I took it to Dusty Strings in Seattle and had them replace the string for me. Karen was none the wiser.

And for the record, I regret having kissed her far more than I regret breaking the string.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Not many fellows that I know tell stories of the old girlfriends that they regret....

The idea of a wet rawhide bowlback does nothing to inspire me as a potential buyer!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    True story ...

And for the record, I regret having kissed her far more than I regret breaking the string.
    I think there is a country song right there!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

15. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Not many fellows that I know tell stories of the old girlfriends that they regret....

The idea of a wet rawhide bowlback does nothing to inspire me as a potential buyer!
    But you could play "Rawhide" on a rawhide!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

17. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    She was never a girlfriend, thank goodness. One evening's necking does not a girlfriend make.

The first mandolin I bought ended up with the third girlfriend, though ... she bought it off me after I dumped her, if memory serves. Don't know why she wanted it — maybe she put it in the corner and threw darts at it for all I know.

19. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Here we go ... a Gibson A style with replacement tuners and a gnasty seam separation; seller wants about 5 times more than it could reasonably be sold for, methinks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Gibson-...kAAOSwikxgHapU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I did find a 1904 patent about using wet rawhide to form the bowl (I think). You can read it attached here.
    I did read the patent, and it's a little perplexing. It references four drawings, the critical one being the fourth, but does not present it - just the first three. There is a detailed description of the process, but a visual representation would help understanding. I echo your confusion. I thought the rawhide was stretched around the bowl, but the description seems to talk more about the top - the "exterior face," "the top edge of the shell." Yet it also refers to being "stretched over the wooden shell or body of the mandolin and drawn tightly around the same."

[Figure] 4 is a covering of rawhide or similar material which forms the exterior face of the body. The rawhide used in carrying out my invention is similar to that used for drum-heads. The skin or rawhide is first soaked in water until it becomes soft, after which it is stretched over the wooden shell or body of the mandolin and drawn tightly around the same and then cemented to the shell or body. It will be noticed that the edges of the skin or rawhide are drawn tightly over the top edge of the shell or mandolin-body. The skin or rawhide is permitted to dry, and in drying, as is well known, the skin will shrink very materially, thus closing tightly the joints between the numerous pieces of wood forming the shell, thereby putting the wood under more or less tension, thus increasing the vibratory powers of the wood, and consequently augmenting the tone of the instrument very materially and improving its resonant qualities. In addition to increasing the quality of the instrument this facing or covering of rawhide materially strengthens the shell or body of the mandolin and protects it against indentations and breakage and more or less obviates the usual warping in such instruments.

BTW, because I looked at the listing on eBay, I've been offered a discount. I could snap it up for just $6,999. Should I?

BTW, because I looked at the listing on eBay, I've been offered a discount. I could snap it up for just $6,999. Should I?
    Sure. Go ahead: I can live vicariously through your blissful experience.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Done! That's all I needed, just a little push to get me off the fence.

There is no substitute for optimism. I know that the Poles say that a pessimist is an "informed optimist" but it's always good to look on the bright side, if at all possible. Here's just a such a person:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-Man...oAAOxyUylTT-Ms

Is the $1450 for all 3 instruments? If so, only a little overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    There is no substitute for optimism. I know that the Poles say that a pessimist is an "informed optimist" but it's always good to look on the bright side, if at all possible. Here's just a such a person:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-Man...oAAOxyUylTT-Ms
    And that is not a Russian mandolin so the value goes up by a bit.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Not sure if anyone has had a look in at this very rare " collectable" at $3000 USD - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/collecti...kAAOSwCypWmR0H

Maybe it has been shown already but I just saw it and it said it was a mandolin, and my jaw dropped.

AllanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	192164
    Allan Midgley

That's a very cheap African harp of some kind, related to the kora.

Kora seems like an instrument that would be fun to learn, but I've bought one or two on eBay that turned out to be cheap tourist junk (or maybe I don't know enough about koras to distinguish cheap tourist junk from the real thing).

Blog Entries

Is the neck a horn of some kind? Rhino? Water buffalo? Would it have resonant qualities? Not willing to spend $3k to find out.

When I see prices that are way over what they should be, it makes me wonder if it’s some kind of money laundering scheme. You sell to yourself, pay eBay for the privilege, and voila, you money is clean! Unless someone takes a real close look, you could do this over and over. Maybe I’m just paranoid or too cynical...but really, some of these prices...

- Denis

Quote Originally Posted by tassiespirit View Post
    Pictures and info.