Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1136575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1698

Thread: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Default Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Apart from the price, the advert is actually misleading insofar as it should say “Applause by Ovation” rather than “Ovation by Applause”. A real Ovation has recently popped up at auction in the UK and the estimate for that is £100-£200 + commission and it doesn’t say that the electronics are faulty!

I don’t know if this belongs in this thread or not but this custom shop Martín AK-45 mandolin has appeared in the classifieds for quite a few years. I am not sure if it had a few owners or that the original owner continues to try to sell it. The price is a bit optimistic even from the new Carter’s owners: https://cartervintage.com/shop/marti...O9XqlY0EWKSn9V

It's the fanciest mandolin ever made by Martin, and the hand-cut pearl headstock logo was a first for Martin.”

I highly doubt this is true having owned a 1902 style 6 Martín mandolin with fluted back and more specatular inlay.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I don’t know if this belongs in this thread or not but this custom shop Martín AK-45 mandolin has appeared in the classifieds for quite a few years. I am not sure if it had a few owners or that the original owner continues to try to sell it. The price is a bit optimistic even from the new Carter’s owners: https://cartervintage.com/shop/marti...O9XqlY0EWKSn9V
    I would also argue that it's not the fanciest mandolin ever made by Martin. I think there are a few in the Martin Museum that would be more in line for that designation but who knows? I almost bought a 150 year anniversary guitar the year they came out not because it was an anniversary guitar but because it sounded great.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I'm just impressed the link didn't come back 404
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Maybe it's just me, but it seems the 45 style pearl trim looks better against a dark wood, such as rosewood. The pearl against the lighter color Koa just doesn't have the contrast and doesn't seem to pop, IMHO.

I remember this mandolin in postings some time ago, and it seemed to draw a lot of negative comments at the time. It is, in my estimation, way over-priced.

I almost always prefer less bling, or even no bling, to more bling. Yet there is something about this particular mandolin that I like. It just appeals to me. Part of it is my general fondness for flat-top instruments, and Martin mandolins in particular. But there is something more to it than that.

The only thing that doesn't appeal to me on this one is the font of the lettering on the pickguard, but I could live with that. I'm not in 'buying mode' at this time, and the price is way outside of my range, but I think I could really enjoy this instrument. I hope it goes to someone who will play it and love it. Wouldn't it be great for it to go to someone with a real connection to C.F. Martin or Nazareth, PA?
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Generally you can find vintage Martín AK mandolins for mid-teens prices. This one is on Reverb for $1500. https://reverb.com/item/62322651-192...ntent=62322651

Granted you don’t have the pearl border but I bet the sound is at least as good and possibly better. I am sure the custom shop is well made but I doubt it cost anywhere near the current asking price back in 1983.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Rock bottom or what? Bedpan art- any resemblance to an existing instrument is purely coincidental:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22527624518...Bk9SR7inzt2ZYQ

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yeah, not sure it qualifies as a mandolin, nor even an instrument. The seller himself isn't sure whether it's a guitar, a ukelele, or a mandolin. Good luck stringing it up woth those tuners, or even getting them to do ... anything. The only part of the description he gets right is "bedpan." Even saying it's "folk art" is pushing it a bit. But, well, hope springs eternal and all.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Yeah, not sure it qualifies as a mandolin, nor even an instrument. The seller himself isn't sure whether it's a guitar, a ukelele, or a mandolin. Good luck stringing it up woth those tuners, or even getting them to do ... anything. The only part of the description he gets right is "bedpan." Even saying it's "folk art" is pushing it a bit. But, well, hope springs eternal and all.
    Especially for $200! LOL!! I wouldn't even pay that for it as a wall-hanger!

Maybe hang it on the wall of an outhouse?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Especially for $200! LOL!! I wouldn't even pay that for it as a wall-hanger!
    Right? If one had a hankering to hang something like this on the wall - even of an outhouse - one could slap it together for a lot less.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

There was a maker here on the Cafe who actually made playable Bed-Pandolins. Ah, yes, the Commodium! Discussed here on this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...1-Bedpan-dolin
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, indeed. This ain't that!

BTW, thanks for holding off on your usual druthers regarding posting pics for posterior. Don't think this deserves that accommodation.

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Rock bottom or what? Bedpan art- any resemblance to an existing instrument is purely coincidental:

Can't carry a tune in a bucket? Try this!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post

This thing is really pissing me off.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Not to be confused with toilet seat guitar/mandolin creations.....

Here's a real winner: Combine terrible pictures, poor condition including missing frets and sell a relatively undesirable mandolin for a ridiculous price $1,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144845319875

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	204679
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here's a real winner: Combine terrible pictures, poor condition including missing frets and sell a relatively undesirable mandolin for a ridiculous price $1,000. And I especially like the electrical connection in the background.

ID:	204679 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600xx.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	204680
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Yeah, that's a "little" overpriced.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I got one a lot like that, but in better shape, for $80 as a project! Sounds thin and terrible but it is a bit of fun.

$1895 for a Harmony Batwing?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/225244370499
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    $1895 for a Harmony Batwing?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/225244370499
    Makes this one look like a bargain.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Here's a real winner: Combine terrible pictures, poor condition including missing frets and sell a relatively undesirable mandolin for a ridiculous price $1,000. And I especially like the electrical connection in the background.

ID:	204679 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600xx.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	204680
    But it has "free" shipping! LOL!!

Okay, you guys, what about this one:

Name:	sort of octofoneish.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	204691

The front of the body has some cracks and splits, the back has just one small crack. The pegs all turn and appear to be serviceable. One interior strut has come loose and will be included. The instrument may or may not be playable when fully strung.
    (It actually looks like it would be pretty cool if it weren't so beat ... low price, too )
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar