Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 19404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1698

Thread: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Default Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

[QUOTE=Denis Kearns;1810711]When I see prices that are way over what they should be, it makes me wonder if it’s some kind of money laundering scheme. You sell to yourself, pay eBay for the privilege, and voila, you money is clean! Unless someone takes a real close look, you could do this over and over. Maybe I’m just paranoid or too cynical...but really, some of these prices...

At least two different phenomena: One is the automated pricing function that some use to keep even with comparables, that escalates the asking price way into the stratosphere as two or more ‘engines’ keep topping each other.
    The other is actual money laundering, which probably doesn’t come into play this low. For a while, in the collector car market, plain-Jane cars were selling at crazy prices, and it was definitely laundering and tax manipulations. I don’t know if this persists.
    And also, the operation of ignorance and greed does cause some people to imagine their thrift store Stradivarius is actually immensely valuable, or thinking that not having seen another one, makes Auntie’s crock rare and unique.

Interesting (?) truly homemade F-5.

This is f style mandolin that I made. The top is made spuir and the neck and back is made of maple. As no case.
    I am still trying to figure out what "spuir" is. The top looks like it was patched—maybe he carved too much?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Interesting (?) truly homemade F-5.

I am still trying to figure out what "spuir" is. The top looks like it was patched—maybe he carved too much?
    I'm not sure I would take that if he paid me $200.00 to take it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

If I may quote Barat, "Wa wa wee wa!" I feel compelled to do so because I do believe "spuir" is name in glorious language of magnificent Republic of Kazakhstan for "spruce."
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

In the Scottish Gaelic dialect Google says it means spur. Google is not fluent in typo.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

"fluent in typo" - now there is a fine locution. Over time, a great many people have become at least somewhat more that, given how many times we have had to interpret what was written in order to discern what was meant. Even spell check systems have improved to suggest possible intended spellings that include the proximity of keys in the keyboard or keypad, irrespective of language. That's an improvement. And it surpasses the lack of improvement in sellers' proofreading. That may be perpetually lagging behind all other advancements in the area.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

If you click on his other ads, the spelling is almost consistent, as is the degree of primitive. Somehow, I think that this person does not deserve to be mocked.
    That said, as a thoroughly over-educated yankee, I do admit to sometimes making light of Southern literacy, or even the sad display in my local Craig’s List.

Blog Entries

While I agree with you to some extent, as I believe in being kind and fair and considerate of others, I also believe that thus I must be fair to my mandolin brothers hereabouts, who know what a true wonder a fine mandolin can be - and can tell the difference between that and this. That said, it does seem at least some attempt at constructing a playable instrument has been made. The neck and tuners look to be consistent with that. But not a whole lot else. The scrolls in particular could have earned this entry to a certain other thread. The headstock decoration and - varnish? - are in a class by themselves. As to spelling ... in his other offerings, he is consistent in misspelling "papper" [sic] on all his drawings. And on this, I wonder whether this is a custom made instrument or the name of the builder is "Costom." We may never know.

From a personal standpoint, though, I admit to a bit of disappointment. I thought at first this might be a missing example of Gibbs' work. It seems not, as the frets and tuners seem at least close to standard. Also, the body doesn't appear to have Gibbs' distinctive incredible heft. Plus the headstock scroll doesn't have the signature disk. I thought I might have stumbled on another piece of his unique brand of folk art. If it had been, with the ability to make an offer, I might have been able to snap this up for far less than the askng price. Oh well. The search continues, ever on ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibbs 04.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	786.6 KB 
ID:	192278 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibbs 02.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	192279

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    ... I do admit to sometimes making light of Southern literacy, or even the sad display in my local Craig’s List.

eg. a "rod iron" fence (seen relatively often on CL NH)

12. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Blog Entries

'Tis true, and the South doesn't have a monopoly on such goofiness. Just seems that way. Spelling things misheard phonetically can be very humorous. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people write "could of" (and its variants) in all seriousness. I don't want to go off on a rant here, but ...

A much older printed phoneticism - One of the revered old 'Soodlum's Irish Session Tunes' books has a tune which the book entitles 'Verse of Vienna'. The related dance, which was popular in the 19thC, is of Polish origin, and everywhere else it's called 'Varsoviana'. Now, imagine someone saying that in a strong Irish accent...

15. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, it did get a buyer. And for full price. How about that? To every rule there is an exception.

I wouldn't say any of the alternatives they offer are "similar items."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Costom Made.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	192295

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    'Tis true, and the South doesn't have a monopoly on such goofiness. Just seems that way. Spelling things misheard phonetically can be very humorous. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people write "could of" (and its variants) in all seriousness. I don't want to go off on a rant here, but ...
    Aah, excellent observation of “Regional Affectation and Mannerisms”
    Name me three states that don’t have some sort of local idioms. There are a ton in the Pittsburgh area alone, it’s what language does. Spellcheck has no concept of syntax either. I really love “fluent in typo”! I will be filching that one Mike!
    I’m reminded of the parade ground scene in one of the great John Wayne cavalry movies:
    Sgt. (Victor McGlaghan)- “There are ladies in camp so WATCH THEM WORDS, WATCH THEM WORDS!”
    From off camera “ Watch them grammar!”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Bumped right into this the other day. Peter Wolf, lead singer for J. Geils Band, turned 75 Sunday, and much internet chatter ensued. Some grammar wonks raised the expected hue and cry when someone posted a video of them performing "Must Of Got Lost." They asserted it should of - whoops! - should have been spelled "Must Have Got Lost." Someone averred it was actually "Musta Got Lost." So I looked it up, and the actual title is "Must Of Got Lost." That's how it's spelled on the album and single cover. I had to tell people this, which caused some eye rolling, I'm sure: 'Take it up with the band. It's misspelled on the album cover, single cover, and I'll bet the label. As "Must Of."'

So wikipedia is forced to spell it thus in the track listing. When I looked it up, I was stunned to see the band misspelled it - repeatedly and consistently. That means everyone is torn between referring to it correctly with the error, or erroneously correcting it. Those bastids!

Actually the grammar wonks would have said it, “Must Have Gotten Lost.” Dontcha think?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

“It’s the vernacular” Nyuk Nyuk Curly Q Link.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Actually the grammar wonks would have said it, “Must Have Gotten Lost.” Dontcha think?
    Yes, yes I do. And they'd be right. (I think ... my sureness has surely become less assured due to all this surliness and discomfiture.) I think "got" is still acceptable, though.

The filename for the photo in the wiki is "Must've Got Lost." That is not only grammatically correct, but fits the meter and pronunciation. Even though it's not how the song is officially spelled, it meets those criteria. Whoever devised that gets my hat tip and mandosmiley.

22. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Cobalt 

Looks like a nice mandolin but I would like to know their appraisal folks if I every need to file an insurance claim -

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/...291518902.html

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Looks like a nice mandolin but I would like to know their appraisal folks if I every need to file an insurance claim -

������

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post

If you are sirius...
    I think I'm more XM. The sad thing about this is that even if you drop a zero off the price he's still in Hollywood with that price.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think I'm more XM. The sad thing about this is that even if you drop a zero off the price he's still in Hollywood with that price.
    Well, it looks quite clean, so it might bring $1500 on a really good day.
    [In case the link goes away, it's a 1940's Gibson A-50 with an implied price of 15 to 20k]

Gotta love this one: a "Fender acoustic/electric mandolin" at a price no Fender acoustic/electric has to my knowledge ever attained, with one photo of ... a shipping box. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-ACOU...oAAOSw35dgWXmS
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

The prices of Fender boxes are going way up these days.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

I dunno. I mean, it looks really clean. Not a scratch or dent. Talk about mint condition! Yet no one's bid on it yet. Maybe if there were more photos from different angles.

Aaaaaand ... it turns out to be an FM-52E, the cheapest Fender e-mando of them all. No idea what made the seller think it was so precious, or that someone would buy it based on a photo of the box.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls