Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Italian Bowl back case

Default Re: Italian Bowl back case

Sorry for delay, Mick. I just now noticed your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Nice looking case, Eug. What's it made out of? Hopefully, not what it looks like....
    It's thin layers of plastic around a foam core. Very light and great rigidity, great resistance to torsion. He sometimes coats the exterior with some synthetic veneer, as this is.

2. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

[QUOTE=Eugene;1790392]Since this conversation has wandered a bit, my friend Tip makes occasional cases for me. Early in his case-making career, he made one for my ca.1835 Neapolitan mandolin. More recently, he made one for my ca.1890 mandolino toscano/bresciano.

WOW!!!!!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

4. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Eugene 

Does anyone have experience with these cases? They are available in the US from Hobgoblin.

Blog Entries

Yes I have used this one https://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/...mandolin-case/
    They're quite a bit deeper than you might need for most bowlbacks, I lifted the lining and slid foam up the sides until the mandolin sat level with a snug fit.
    As it seemed a bit lacking I also did the same with the lining between the bowl and headstock area, plus a wedge under the headstock for support.
    The good thing is that by lifting the lining from the bottom edges it's unnoticeable when tucked back down again after the foam is in.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

I recently tried to order the bowlback case from Hobgoblin and was told they were out of stock and I should check back in about three months.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Yes I have used this one https://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/...mandolin-case/
    They're quite a bit deeper than you might need for most bowlbacks, I lifted the lining and slid foam up the sides until the mandolin sat level with a snug fit.
    As it seemed a bit lacking I also did the same with the lining between the bowl and headstock area, plus a wedge under the headstock for support.
    The good thing is that by lifting the lining from the bottom edges it's unnoticeable when tucked back down again after the foam is in.
    The problem is that bowlbacks are proportioned differently. For instance IIRC Calaces are fairly large around the midriff whereas Emberghers are slimmer in general. But even those made by the same maker can be different. I have a standard Vega style 3 and it has a shallower bowl that my Pettine models from the same era. So, assuming we even can find a case, we may have to pad it or remove some padding.

The foam ones I can no longer get have a Velcro neck attachment which sort of steadies too much wobbling around inside. That may be the best I could do. When I had my Pandini it did not fit in the Eastman case at all and I was lucky to get a case from the maker.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have a standard Vega style 3 and it has a shallower bowl that my Pettine models from the same era.
    Here are my Vega style 3 next to one of my Vega Pettine models:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S3_pettine_btms.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	189372
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

The Pettine looks almost Chicago-esque in its depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    The Pettine looks almost Chicago-esque in its depth.
    Probably more Rhode Island-esque.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I was recently scouring the web for roundback mandolin cases, and came upon this old thread. The situation seems to have become even more dire since the thread was started. I already had 2 mandolins with no cases, and recently bought a 1913 Calace mandolin that came with only a cloth gig bag. I would be afraid to leave the house with it in only that, and want more protection for it even IN my house. I ordered the bowlback case from Hobgoblin from their website a few minutes ago, and they wrote back a few minutes later to say that they didn't know when they would have any, so I canceled the order. I saw the GEWA cases for sale in Germany, and was surprised to learn that GEWA Music, USA is in Maryland, just a few miles away from me! Their site does not list any mandolin cases, but I sent them an email to ask, and am waiting for a reply. I had bought one of the Eastman cases in the old days, but they appear to no longer be available. Does anyone have any NEW leads on cases in the US?

If the only option is to buy a case from Europe, and pay as much or more for the shipping, then I will just make my own case. When I was making electric mandolins a few decades ago (I plan to start again, as a retirement project), I also made hard cases for them. They were easy, as it was just a rectangular box. One of my former students commissioned me to build a case for his roundback mandola, so I have done it, once. It was trapezoidal, and the case was also tapered to be thinner on the end for the tuning head. For a mandolin, I might leave the depth of the case the same, to allow for more storage under the neck. It was 1/2 plywood, covered with vinyl, and and I but foam weather-stripping around the rim of the lid, to make it more watertight. Inside it was a plush cloth over foam rubber. Even if I find reasonable cases for sale, I will still need to make at least one, as I just ordered a roundback mandola... that will also be arriving with just a cloth gig bag.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Gladd For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I'd enjoy seeing your plans or process for making bowlback cases, Neil.

I like your ideas for a water-seal around the top edge.

I've been collecting images of wooden bowlback cases for reference. Some are pretty complex geometries, others usefully straightforward as you describe.

I have made a few myself, out of basic pine boards, planed down to 1/2" or so with some felt covered foam inserts to nest the body and neck.
    They were for a couple of Neapolitan Vinaccia style bowlbacks which were almost identical in dimension, without some of the Calace or Sicilian exuberance / extensions at the headstock.

They tapered in both plan and section, but were pretty straightforward to make.

I think they turned out pretty well, but both went off with mandolins as gifts.

I've been thinking about building some more soon when I have some free time. Likely in May. Unfortunately, I'm not retiring yet.

Happy to share my drawings with you once I did them out. I think I modeled it up in Rhino or something so I could stretch the dimensions should I need to.

Your post and my desire to clean out my office (where I have a number of partially complete wood cases that I attempted to get to complicated with) has prompted me to get back to work.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

18. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I have found a few bowlback cases on this Chinese wholesale site: http://www.east-start.com/products/mandolin-package/

however, I have written to them three times and they don’t reply at all. I am pretty sure they are ignoring me. Not even a reply to say that they dont’ sell to retail buyers. I don’t get why they have this site. Thyew have the foam cases which I bought in the past from an eBay seller which are inexpensive and work quite well. They are light but still protective. They also have what look like the Viking cases that Hobgoblin wants to carry. Maybe the Chinese government it blocking them doing business over here? Not sure…

I spoke to a guy recently who also tried to reach Gewa USA. I am not sure if he ever did or not.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

If I decide to build any cases, I will take photos to document the process. I told the contact from Hobgoblin that it would be helpful if their website mentioned that they didn't actually have the cases. He was very apologetic, and said their website was controlled by the UK branch of the company, and they couldn't change it. He also said they have had 25 cases on back order for a full year. I told them that I was about to just make my own cases, and he said that he was about to do the same for one of his own instruments.

If the Chinese wholesaler will not sell to individuals, I wonder if I should approach him on behalf of my company, Neil Gladd Publications, since it is a licensed company? I had only intended to sell music and recordings that I produced myself, but since cases are so hard to get, I might think about it. I'm just a little hesitant to do business in China...

Ah , GEWA USA did reply, but it went into my spam folder:

"Thanks for reaching out! This is something we could potentially special order for you. We would have to check with Germany on the processing time, but it would likely be 6-8 months. Also, all special orders are final sale, so we would need to have a card on file to process the order and there won’t be any refunds."

I have found a few bowlback cases on this Chinese wholesale site: http://www.east-start.com/products/mandolin-package/

however, I have written to them three times and they don’t reply at all. I am pretty sure they are ignoring me. Not even a reply to say that they dont’ sell to retail buyers. I don’t get why they have this site. Thyew have the foam cases which I bought in the past from an eBay seller which are inexpensive and work quite well. They are light but still protective. They also have what look like the Viking cases that Hobgoblin wants to carry. Maybe the Chinese government it blocking them doing business over here? Not sure…

I spoke to a guy recently who also tried to reach Gewa USA. I am not sure if he ever did or not.
    Hi Jim. I have spoken to the guys in the past. They make some nice guitars I was thinking of importing (I did not in the end). Most Chinese companies would quickly reply to enquiries via alibaba.com and made-in-china.com Looks like the bulk of their orders come from there and they have English speaking staff monitoring the correspondence that come from alibaba enquiry forms. Give it a try.

Good luck

Victor

24. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    Hi Jim. I have spoken to the guys in the past. They make some nice guitars I was thinking of importing (I did not in the end). Most Chinese companies would quickly reply to enquiries via alibaba.com and made-in-china.com Looks like the bulk of their orders come from there and they have English speaking staff monitoring the correspondence that come from alibaba enquiry forms. Give it a try.

Good luck

Victor
    They have a rep listed and an email plus a reply file. I don’t know why they bother having a web site if they will not reply to me if for nothing else to tell me they can’t ship these items. I might try once again.

My favorite Chinese case was the foam kind which was very protective, came with multiple straps and lots of room for case candy and was under $50. I have at least three of them and my prized Embergher lives in one. I recall that Carlo Aonzo had a Japanese case that was very similar back in the 1990s that cost about $400 back then. This was a Chinese knockoff. East-Start has one like it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

26. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gladd View Post
    Ah , GEWA USA did reply, but it went into my spam folder:

"Thanks for reaching out! This is something we could potentially special order for you. We would have to check with Germany on the processing time, but it would likely be 6-8 months. Also, all special orders are final sale, so we would need to have a card on file to process the order and there won’t be any refunds."
    Interesting that the Gewa case is listed on the Thomann USA site at this link: https://www.thomannmusic.com/gewa_mandolinenetui.htm

I doubt they are carrying them either if Gewa can’t get them. It might even be the same company (Gewa & Thomann)? I will inquire anyway just for fun.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

28. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hmmm, it says in stock, I may order one.

Interesting that the Gewa case is listed on the Thomann USA site at this link: https://www.thomannmusic.com/gewa_mandolinenetui.htm
    I ordered one on Saturday, and they notified me that it has shipped, today, but I don't know where it is shipping from. Here's the total:

1x Gewa Mandolin Case
    Gewa Mandolin Case, for mandolins with round back, italian model, black plush interior, black saten artificial leather cover, metal feet, internal measures: width of the body: 20,0 cm, body length: 34,0 cm, total length: 66,0 cm, height: 16,0 cm.

Item no. 203420 USD 64.00
    Shipping costs USD 69.29
    Total amount USD 133.29

I WILL also be making a case, though, for my newly arrived octave mandola. I'll start a new thread on making a case, after I start it.

Name:	IMG_6063.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	200241

The case arrived, today. It appears that it was shipped from Germany, and the box was all torn up by UPS, but the case was fine and arrived in 6 days. I tried both my American bowlback and the Calace, and it works for either. It is a little wide, but both instruments stay firmly in place without moving around, so yes, Virginia, you can order bowlback cases in the U.S.! Shown with my Calace, which will now live in it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6061.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	200242

Name:	IMG_6062.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	200243

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neil Gladd For This Useful Post:

Neil: do you think there is a little more room in the width? my Bresciano is 210 mm ( 8 1/4")

Quote Originally Posted by Tukanu View Post
    Neil: do you think there is a little more room in the width? my Bresciano is 210 mm ( 8 1/4")
    The case was wider than necessary for my Calace, but just THIS MORNING, I dropped the instrument (and the case) off to be repaired, so I can't measure it, now. My American bowlback is 8" wide and there was a lot of extra room for that, as well, so the case is at LEAST 8 1/2" wide, probably more.

35. The following members say thank you to Neil Gladd for this post:

Tukanu 

Just reviving this thread for a minute. The cost of almost everything, musical or not, seems to be going up, but I just happened to check on the GEWA cases, yesterday, and the price has gone DOWN! (Don't know about the shipping cost, though.) I paid $64 in March of this year, and now they are only $56. I thought a price drop of a hard-to-find item was information worth passing on!

https://www.thomannmusic.com/gewa_mandolinenetui.htm

In other news, I just got my roundback octave mandola back from the shop, so I will be building a case for that in the near future. I will start a new thread for that once I get started.

37. The following members say thank you to Neil Gladd for this post:

I am guessing that the price may have gone down along with the Euro dropping in value versus the US dollar.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I am guessing that the price may have gone down along with the Euro dropping in value versus the US dollar.
    I assumed the same.