Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waldzither...

Default Re: Waldzither...

ok I added four pictures, all the same. but this is the bohm waldzither just finished repair. it has an amazing sound. the brazillian rosewood back and sides and german spruce top make it one of my best sounding instruments right out of the workshop. I replaced the glass bridge with very hard ebony. the glass bridge was a bit too high. I don't know how to shave the glass. any suggestions? it is a bit louder with glass, but not as mellow as with ebony. I think ebony sounds better but glass was the traditional bridge. it is so rich on all strings. I haven't replaced the brass frets. after it settles in I may do that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cittern cetara 002.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	114604

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	192 
ID:	114606Click image for larger version. 

Views:	192 
ID:	114606

Name:	cittern cetara 003.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	114607

the waldzither has one of the best sounds I have heard. it's amazing. the brazillian rosewood back and sides and german spruce top really sing. I replaced the glass bridge with one of hard ebony. the glass was also a great sound but was a bit too high and I don't know how to shave glass. any suggestions?

I can't believe how good this sounds. it was pretty broke up so I got it for about $150 including shipping and tax. the repairs cost considerably more but well worth it.

Do you tune it like a mandolin with an extra low C or D ?
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

Name:	BÖHM 2.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	117801
    Here's my waldzither (scale length : 47cm).
    It's tune like a bouzouki.... I wonder myself if I should tune it like a mandola...
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

Ronny,

Not sure how tuning like a bouzouki works for a five-course instrument like the waldzither, with its very much shorter scale length.

I have two waldzithers, one at 43cm (9 strings) and the other 41cm (10 strings). The shorter of these I tune CGDAE, i.e. like a combined mandola/mandolin. The E string is very very thin to get to work at that scale length (0.007", I think), and it's prone to snapping. I don't think it would work with your longer scale length. As my short-scale waldzither has ten strings, I have a double-course low C, which works just fine at that scale.

My slightly longer-scale 9-string is set up with a single thick bass string (0.070", I think). The bass string is pretty weak at that scale length but sometimes handy to have to fill out chords or to play single bass notes in piece that is predominatly higher in range. However, some players simply take it off -- Andy Irvine, for example, when he was playing waldzither. Usually, I tune the instrument (G)DAEB or (G)DAEA, i.e. like an octave mandolin with an additional high B or A string -- B when I want to preserve fifths tuning, e.g. in classical pieces, and A when I want a high harmony string in Irish playing. When I'm playing an arrangement that needs viola tuning, I retune one step lower, to (F)CGDA, i.e. alto mandola tuning on the four double courses. All these tunings are close enough to each other than there's no need change strings.

Martin

8. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Ronny 

Just missed one on eBay, it was for sale in Germany and went for around £210 GBP while I
    dithered about….
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

I'm restoring another one so if you can wait for it, Footerin'About... (same scale as the previous one).
    In fact, the "bouzouki tuning" wasn't very convenient... I will try to tune it higher... (I have to check David Hynds website to dig more informations !!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    I'm restoring another one so if you can wait for it, Footerin'About... (same scale as the previous one).
    In fact, the "bouzouki tuning" wasn't very convenient... I will try to tune it higher... (I have to check David Hynds website to dig more informations !!)
    I just might, Ronny - although I have rather nefarious plans for this sort of instrument…. tuning of ADGBE for example… so if that’s not too sacrilegious….
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

just got one, was thinking of leaving the single string off and going gdae, what strings do u use

nice. what strings do u use? i want to tune gdae bu dont know what way to leave the 9th string

Name:	waldzither1.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	120209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waldzither3.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	120208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waldzither2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	120210
    I have restored quite a lot of these.... but just recently completed a 'new' one for a friend in Germany who wanted it in the Bohm style but tuned in G. Came out well, great sound..... but as i dont play trad German tuning, my efforts in the video for it were a bit limited.. Dave

And video is here....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4A0...3iklPfSwij96Hw
    No such thing as a dead mandolin!

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info
    Facebook: search Dave Hynds ... its me with the mandolin!!

15. The following members say thank you to dave17120 for this post:

derbex 

This is mine, made by Ernst Oskar Reiche; tuned GDAE with the lower string F. It still has the original glass bridge; amazingly I haven’t broken it yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2282.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	120233  

Quote Originally Posted by Footerin'About View Post
    This is mine, made by Ernst Oskar Reiche; tuned GDAE with the lower string F. It still has the original glass bridge; amazingly I haven’t broken it yet.
    Looks nice. Do you really mean GDAE, rather than CGDA? If so, in what octave -- like a mandolin or like an octave mandolin? Having the lower course tuned F with others tuned GDAE doesn't sound quite right.

I have the shorter of my two waltdzithers tuned GDAE like a mandolin on the four higher courses, but that one has an exceptionally short scale for a waldzither (41cm), and even then the high E course is extremely thin and fragile, and I have the bass course tuned in C.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Looks nice. Do you really mean GDAE, rather than CGDA? If so, in what octave -- like a mandolin or like an octave mandolin? Having the lower course tuned F with others tuned GDAE doesn't sound quite right.

I have the shorter of my two waltdzithers tuned GDAE like a mandolin on the four higher courses, but that one has an exceptionally short scale for a waldzither (41cm), and even then the high E course is extremely thin and fragile, and I have the bass course tuned in C.

Martin
    There’s only one comment I can make…. F!
    It’s tuned GDAE and lower as in a mandola, but I meant C for the 9th string…. blame the late hour and these cheap glasses… (they hold too much).

ok guys just got the waldzither in the post havnt had time to play it but it looks good. I have it up on the classifieds. question, at the moment it is tuned in the regular open c tuning, how do i translate that to a mandolin tuning without breaking or changing the strings!?
    i cant seem to upload pics here

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/76885

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Might as well throw mine in as well, not as pretty as Mark's, tuned DGDAE with the low D being just a drone really, 50cm scale:

Name:	final-finish-100_3494.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	103303

Before and after comparisons:

Name:	compare-final-finish-100_3495.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	103301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare-final-finish-100_3501.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	103302

Almost forgot this one as well, 43cm scale tuned GDAEB:

Name:	100_3645.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	103304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3646.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	103305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3664.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	103306
    i have the same as the first one you posted there, just got it yesterday, bit tired looking but sounds great! good job.

This thread makes me want a waldzither!

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    I replaced the glass bridge with one of hard ebony. the glass was also a great sound but was a bit too high and I don't know how to shave glass. any suggestions?
    I've never seen a glass bridge and it's hard to imagine one, but glass is very hard and brittle and would require grinding, not shaving. Do you know anyone who does stained glass? He or she would probably have a glass grinder. I happen to have one, as I went through a stained glass phase in the '80s-early '90s. It has diamond grit on the wheel, and must be lubricated with water to avoid overheating.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

A local workman not far from me works in glass and makes mirrors and windows to order; I’d suspect he would make one if asked. I just may…
    My first thought about a glass bridge was that the string would rest on a very hard, definite point; not soft like wood, and this may lend itself to a brighter clearer tone? (Just guessing…)
    Re Martin’s point above on the tuning - I never really looked into these when I got my first one very recently and automatically tuned it to GDAE, same as all my other instruments - should it be CGDA?

A local workman not far from me works in glass and makes mirrors and windows to order; I’d suspect he would make one if asked. I just may…
    My first thought about a glass bridge was that the string would rest on a very hard, definite point; not soft like wood, and this may lend itself to a brighter clearer tone? (Just guessing…)
    Re Martin’s point above on the tuning - I never really looked into these when I got my first one very recently and automatically tuned it to GDAE, same as all my other instruments - should it be CGDA?
    For what it's worth, Jake Wildwood has posted here that he has never managed to make the original glass bridges work on the waldzithers he has restored, so you may be better off not spending too much energy on gettin a glass bridge made. Both of mine have wood bridges and work fine.

Regarding tuning, the original tuning is in open C, so neither GDAE nor CGDA have anything to do with authenticity. It's all a question of scale length and string gauges. What's the scale length of yours? They vary between about 41cm and 50cm. At the longer end of this, you can make GDAE (one octave below mandolin) work just fine, albeit with a pretty thick gauge G string. At the shorter end (where mine are), CGDA or DAEB for the four double courses are more likely to be successful, and for very short waldzithers you can get away with mandolin tuning GDAE with a very thin E string.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    What's the scale length of yours? They vary between about 41cm and 50cm.

Martin
    Mine is 49cm length; I’d like to experiment with the CGDA tuning - possible, without damage?

Absolutely. Tenor guitars have up to 23" scale length and are tuned CGDA.
    Try these string gauges:
    A4 .010" PL == 16.04#
    D4 .015" PL == 16.08#
    G3 .023" PB == 15.52#
    C3 .034" PB == 15.29#
    F2 .052" PB == 15.74#

Or if that's too light:

A4 .011" PL == 22.32#
    D4 .016" PL == 21.04#
    G3 .025" PB == 20.96#
    C3 .037" PB == 20.8#
    F2 .056" PB == 20.81#

Mine is 49cm length; I’d like to experiment with the CGDA tuning - possible, without damage?
    That explains the difference between your experience and mine -- my two waldzithers are 43 and 41 cm, and the low G doesn't really work at that scale. As Marty has said, with your scale length you should be able to make either GDAE or CGDA work just fine, depending on string gauges.

Martin

Blog Entries

Kicking this thread back to life! Soon I will own a fine waldzither lovingly restored by dave17120 (Dave Hynds) and sold to garryireland - now to be mine as soon as it ships here to Michigan:

Dave tearing it up:

And Garry tearing it up:

Currently tuned GDAEB, and will likely stay that way. I cannot wait!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce