Thread: Just ordered a James Mandolin Tailpiece from Cumberland

Default Just ordered a James Mandolin Tailpiece from Cumberland

Well I'm putting the new James Tailpiece on when it gets here

I hope I made the right choice with the James I told my wife thar the Allen was $50 cheeper and she told me to get the best one or .knowing me I wouldn't be happy untell I had the best one

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just ordered a James Mandolin Tailpiece from Cumberland

The James and Allen are very, very different. Both nice - but for a traditional look, ease of string changing (no threading through holes) and the very neat built in rubber grommets that kill behind-the-bridge resonances, the James is wonderful. You'll love it.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    The James and Allen are very, very different. Both nice - but for a traditional look, ease of string changing (no threading through holes) and the very neat built in rubber grommets that kill behind-the-bridge resonances, the James is wonderful. You'll love it.
    The best for the reasons above. I have them on both the Stanley and the Collings.

Blog Entries

I'm thinking of getting a James. I have one of the "threading through hole" types and I literally hate it. Biggest pain I've ever seen.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

The James is the best.

The James tailpiece is as good ad it gets. Changed strings in less than 15 mins this morming, no problems.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

From John Hill - "Biggest pain I've ever seen". You've obviously never had a Weber or 'original style' Lebeda t/piece to deal with.''Threading a string through a hole'' - isn't that what we do at the' other end' ?. I've no problem with that. The 'original style' Lebeda cast t/piece had grooves on the underside of the front edge to guide the strings to their bridge slots.When stringing up,it was one h**l of a task to even try to stop the strings from coming out of the grooves.Lebeda changed the design to one with guide holes - problem solved !. I have to say (again) that the James & Allen style t/pieces are the best of their kind (IMHO). I only wish i could fit one to my Weber without the 'plug & re-drill' scenario & without having to pay the added 25 % in order to import one,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I liked my Collins, I hated the tailpiece. A James will be on my new Daley. Sim starts building the new mandolin next week. Sorry, but I just heard from Sim last night. I am so excited I have got to share the good news. At least some of my post is about the OP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From John Hill - "Biggest pain I've ever seen". You've obviously never had a Weber or 'original style' Lebeda t/piece to deal with.''Threading a string through a hole'' - isn't that what we do at the' other end' ?. I've no problem with that. The 'original style' Lebeda cast t/piece had grooves on the underside of the front edge to guide the strings to their bridge slots.When stringing up,it was one h**l of a task to even try to stop the strings from coming out of the grooves.Lebeda changed the design to one with guide holes - problem solved !. I have to say (again) that the James & Allen style t/pieces are the best of their kind (IMHO). I only wish i could fit one to my Weber without the 'plug & re-drill' scenario & without having to pay the added 25 % in order to import one,
    Ivan
    That's what I meant. Mine is like the Weber tp. I think my mando is worth a James and to retain what's left of my sanity I'm ordering one.

if i'm not mistaken, the mandolin that Eddie Blevins is building for me has an engraved James tailpiece

You can't go wrong with the design, it seems to be about as good as a tailpiece gets. I have had some issues though. I have an early one that doesn't seal well anymore, though likely new rubber grommets could solve that. I have had significant issues with the finish on three of them. On one the finish just seemed to deteriorate on it's own, and on two others, well, let's just say you should you seriously avoid getting a rubber band anywhere near a James! I also have been using another James in the last year that looks brand new after a year of normal use.

so upgraders one-stop shopping , get CA bridge and James TP in same carton.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Chip...I've read those rubber parts need a bit of maintenance now & then........as I recall it was a tiny bit of vaseline.

ANY item with parts that move,can / will eventually have some problem, it's inherent in the friction between any 2 mating parts. That's why the single piece,no moving parts Allen style t/pieces are the 'best',from an ergonomic poit of view,there's NO friction.
    Whether you like them from a physical aspect,is down to the individual,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've had one for ten years and its moving parts work better than mine. By the time they are problematic I'll probably be long gone so I won't give a hoot. I certainly like them from the 'physical" aspect, there is nothing metaphysical about it. What's ergonomic about a tailpiece anyhow?

I put the Allen tailpiece on my new Gibson. The reason was that the cover on my other mandolin always rattled a tiny bit, so I ended up taking it off. So I upgraded my new mandolin, didn't want to have the same problem.

You take it out of the box and marvel at how well it's made, and the simplicity of the design. Mine went on without a hitch, and then you sting it up for the first time. It works as advertised, and makes changing the strings a breeze.

But then.... it just sits there. It does the exact thing any other tailpiece does 99.9% of the time, which is to hold the loop in place. You start to wonder if it's worth it. Until you change your strings again. That's when you know you made the right decision, when you put on the 2nd set of strings.

I've never heard of one wearing out. They come with extra grommets, as well as lubricating instructions. Yes, there are moving parts, but you only move them once a month at the most. Your great grandkids may have to worry about repairing it, but you won't.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote - "What's ergonomic about a tailpiece anyhow? ". One meaning of 'Ergonomic' is ''the applied science of equipment design''. In other words designing equipment that responds to our actions - From Wikipedia - ".." the fit" between the user & equipment". A long winded way of saying equipment that's easy to use with the least effort,such as an Allen tailpiece,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

James seems the best out there for simply buying a replacement. The Gilchrist design is also excellent....thing is, you gotta buy a Gilchrist mandolin to get it

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
    You can't go wrong with the design, it seems to be about as good as a tailpiece gets. I have had some issues though. I have an early one that doesn't seal well anymore, though likely new rubber grommets could solve that. I have had significant issues with the finish on three of them. On one the finish just seemed to deteriorate on it's own, and on two others, well, let's just say you should you seriously avoid getting a rubber band anywhere near a James! I also have been using another James in the last year that looks brand new after a year of normal use.
    My James was not closing or staying closed. I replaced the grommets (after abuout 6-7 years) and it closes just fine. No problem with the finish on mine. I recall the Gilchrist designed hinged tailpiece that some folks were putting on theirs. It had a piece that came through the cover to turn and lock the cover in place. The James improved on the hinged design - it has the look and function, a winning combination.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Quote - "What's ergonomic about a tailpiece anyhow? ". One meaning of 'Ergonomic' is ''the applied science of equipment design''. In other words designing equipment that responds to our actions - From Wikipedia - ".." the fit" between the user & equipment". A long winded way of saying equipment that's easy to use with the least effort,such as an Allen tailpiece,
    Ivan
    Yes and then the James is more ergonomic, it is easier to use, you don't have to poke the strings through holes and have them scratching the top on the other side, or expend effort tying to avoid this.

I love the James tailpieces, and it states so in the directions, but it is imperative that you install it at the correct angle to the top of the bridge or the cover will not stay shut.

Blog Entries

I have one mandolin with the Allen, two with the James.

It is far more hassle changing strings on the Allen vs. the James. Takes twice as long, at least.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.