Thread: Huck Finn Jubilee 2013 Ontario: Mandos and Festival notes

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Huck Finn Jubilee 2013 Ontario: Mandos and Festival notes

Hello All!

I got back early this AM from 2 days at one of SoCal's premier bluegrass events: The Huck Finn Jubilee, held this year in Ontario, CA.

I expected going in to connect with several cafe members who were planning on going, to see/try multiple mandos, to see new bands, and jam away the days/nites with friends. Mission accomplished on all fronts!

1. I got to play the following mandos: Kettler F model, Rick Albertson's 94' Flatiron F Signature Series model, 3rd Degree's 2009 Gibson Jam Master A,
    Eddie Sheehy's 2009 Gibson F5 Sam Bush, Clement's Kentucky KM 800 A, 3 of Steve Sorensen's mandos (F models, one of which was a 2 point) What a great thrill to play all of these mandos, and certainly one of the highlights was playing Steve's mandos...all I can say is, if you're considering laying out $4k
    for a new Gibson, Collings, etc. I would take a real close look at Sorensen Mandolins... more on Steve later.

2. I talked to 2 pro mando players: Larry Stephenson and Nathan Livers of Flamekeeper. Larry has a Gibson F5G. Nathan was playing a 2003 Gibson F5 Fern that was a great sounding mando; sweet tone on the highs, woody charactericts, great bark, etc.
    And both guys not only tore it up on the mando, but were real personable...Nathan even wanted to know if I was jamming that evening and wanted to try and catch up with me!

3. I got to meet Cafe members Clement, Eddie Sheehy, Brian(3rd Degree), and Rick Albertson. It was really cool being able to chat, check out mandos, jam, and just basically comiserate together. Steve Sorensen showed up with 3 real nice mandos and an archtop guitar.
    Steve was the consumate gentleman, very easy going and encouraged us to play his beautiful looking and very nice sounding mandos.
    If I didn't have a current financial commitment, I'd be looking seriously at a Sorensen Mandolin. It was really neat to hear Steve's take on an aspect of mandolin design that we discussed. Steve also said to count him in for the "Mando Tasting Party West" event that I am planning.

4. The festival overall was good, even though there were significant complaints about the camping accomodations.
    Good solid band lineup (The Hillbenders Rock!), good vendors, good weather, good jamming (jammed with the fiddle player from The Central Valley Boys as well as the bassist from the Hillbenders), and plently of friendly, helpful people!

All in all a very good festival experience made better by the Cafe connections!.
    Last edited by DataNick; Jun-17-2013 at 2:37am.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

2. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Default Re: Huck Finn Jubilee 2013 Ontario: Mandos and Festival notes

Some pics of said mandos here...

4. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

What a fun weekend! Thanks so much to all the amazing players players who stopped by the little Sorensen tent to pick a tune or two.

Also, a huge thanks to Mike Nadolson at Tricopolis Records for letting us invade/share his space again this year!

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

I had a great time as well at Huck Finn, and wish I had stayed longer than just one day. My wife had an especially great time as it was her first festival. We are already talking about going back next year with a camper and stay the whole weekend...

Meeting Nick as well as a number of new players in the area was one of the highlights, and it's always a grand time catching up with Eddie and Bruce. But a very special thanks needs to go out to Steve Sorensen who is not only the consummate gentleman but a true artist. He has a lot of great ideas and thoughts on mandolin making, and was very generous is sharing them as well as letting us play and marvel at his three mando beauties. I hope to hear much more about his work in the coming days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	103504

Name:	photo (3).jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	103495
    Last edited by Clement Barrera-Ng; Jun-17-2013 at 8:22pm.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

Looks like a good time was had by all. I hated to miss it being so close but two of my good friends got married on Saturday and I wound up staying at the reception much later than planned!

You were missed, Shaun!
    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Sounds cool, thanks for the review. Keep me in the loop of the mando tasting west, I'm in the LA area.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdawg40 View Post
    Sounds cool, thanks for the review. Keep me in the loop of the mando tasting west, I'm in the LA area.
    You got it!

When I get a hard, fast date, location, etc. I'll post it on the Cafe site.

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

I'll add my thanks to Steve and Gladys for their hospitality and for the opportunity to play his mandolins. I am in serious lust with the blue/green/surf model... It was great catching up with Clement and meeting Nick - I'm in for mando-tasting too. Thanks for the pics, Bruce.
    Last edited by Eddie Sheehy; Jun-18-2013 at 11:18am.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

Eddie,
    Have you considered Emerald green like the hills of Ireland? I've done a few tests . . .
    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Steve, the only reason the hills of Ireland are green is because we're all over here walking on bluegrass...
    There's enough green in that surfer mando to keep me goin'

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    There's enough green in that surfer mando to keep me goin'

Here are a few shots of the Treble Makers who dropped by to pick a little --

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 005.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	103605 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 007.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	103606 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 019.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	103609 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 023.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	103610 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 037.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	103611 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 049.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	103612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 054.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	103613 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 069.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	103615 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 071.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	103616 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huck Finn 2013 Camera 103.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	103617

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    www.sorensenstrings.com

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Thats a great name for a band!!!! Im still kicking myself for missing it and getting a chance to test drive one of those babies. Absolutely gorgeous. The park looks nice but I heard of many stories of loyal unhappy campers and rv'ers who have attended for years saying they wont come back because it was horrible which is too bad since a lot of people who attend come from far to camp.

21. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    Thats a great name for a band!!!! Im still kicking myself for missing it and getting a chance to test drive one of those babies. Absolutely gorgeous. The park looks nice but I heard of many stories of loyal unhappy campers and rv'ers who have attended for years saying they wont come back because it was horrible which is too bad since a lot of people who attend come from far to camp.
    It's my first time so I don't know what the old venue was like. What were the primary complaint? Is the RV area too far from where the festival is? Not enough space for RV?

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    It's my first time so I don't know what the old venue was like. What were the primary complaint? Is the RV area too far from where the festival is? Not enough space for RV?
    I heard it was a big dusty lot covered in buckthorns, thistle, weeds, no trees and nothing but dirt. Not really conducive for camping and families, especially with children. Also a long half mile walk to the venue area through it. The original venue which it was at for 36 years, Mojave Narrows, had camping and rv spaces on grass with trees within a stones throw from the main stage and performance areas. It sounds like they never should have moved from the camping perspective, lots of upset folks.

It was my first trip to the west. What a great time. I did get to meet Bruce and Steve, (Nice mandolins). I was impressed. The festival was great, the folks there treated us beyond expectation. I hope we're able to get to more festivals out that way.

25. The following members say thank you to Jimmy Kittle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    I heard it was a big dusty lot covered in buckthorns, thistle, weeds, no trees and nothing but dirt. Not really conducive for camping and families, especially with children. Also a long half mile walk to the venue area through it. The original venue which it was at for 36 years, Mojave Narrows, had camping and rv spaces on grass with trees within a stones throw from the main stage and performance areas. It sounds like they never should have moved from the camping perspective, lots of upset folks.
    I know a guy who has known the family that put on the event (whose patriarch died). According to him, they had planned to move it anyway before he died; just with the timing of his passing and the move it looked like the family decided on this, but apparently it was in the works anyway. Too bad there isn't a short list of venues that would satisfy both the RV concerns and tent campers as well as the weather...oh wait; it's called Summergrass! Aug 16-18 in Vista, CA (North County San Diego).

Thread Bump:

Awesome 11 minute or so video of Michael Cleveland & Flamkeeper (Mando player Nathan Livers rocks on his Gibson F5 Fern)...and what can you say about Michael Cleveland...SMOKIN!