Thread: Looking for advice on buying my first Mandolin :)

Default Looking for advice on buying my first Mandolin :)

Hello, everyone!

I'm in an Irish band and am making the transition to Mandolin. I typically sing, play guitar, and rock a mean tambourine.

I've been learning on an old Harmony F style but it's so old and we really need something electric/acoustic for the shows anyhow. From what I've read, I think I'm leaning toward a Loar if I can swing the price. Budget tops out at $500. I did find a good price on a Washburn but haven't heard many good things. Oh, and I'm also looking for 8 string....I didn't even know they made 4 and 5 string Mandolins until I started my search! Like I said, ...newbie.

Any input you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Looking for advice on buying my first Mandolin :)

I recently bought a Loar lm 600, about a year old and I spent $550. I couldn't be happier for an instrument in that price range. Now. Since you're playing Irish tunes, you might want to buy an a-style mandolin. For the price range, you will get more bang for your buck with an a-style, and they are typically more suitable for Irish tunes. Good luck with your purchase :D
    "That rug really tied the room together"

1919 Gibson A2
    The Loar 600
    Norman B50 guitar

Quote Originally Posted by the_polish_mandolinist View Post
    ...you will get more bang for your buck with an a-style, and they are typically more suitable for Irish tunes...
    Agree with "more bang for your buck"; you pay extra for the non-acoustic ornamentation of the F-style, so the same price can get you better materials and work-person-ship. But the main differentiation is that many Irish music players prefer oval-hole mandolins, which do sound differently from f-hole mandolins.

An F-model, f-hole mandolin will sound just like an A-model, f-hole mandolin, and an F-model, oval-hole mandolin sounds like an A-model, oval-hole instrument.

In any case, you're looking for acoustic-electric. Basically I'd suggest getting a good A-model mandolin and retrofitting a pickup on it, or considering an Ovation instrument, perhaps one of the mid-range Asian-made Ovations if you have budget limitations.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Basically I'd suggest getting a good A-model mandolin and retrofitting a pickup on it
    For Irish music in particular and a $500 budget, I'd look for a used flattop on the classifieds. Right now, there is a used Redline Traveler for $450 http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/67111 and a used Flatiron 1N at $550 OBO http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/67153 that would suit your needs quite nicely.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thank you! I'll look into it