Thread: Getting back into playing the mandolin

Default Getting back into playing the mandolin

I stopped playing my mandolin about three years ago when my time and attention were focused more on my career and other sundry projects. But, now I've come back to it. But, so much time has gone by that I find that I am pretty much back at square one again. My main musical interests lie in Italian folk and classical music.

Any sage advice as I re-enter the waters of the mandolin?
    2009 Calace Model 24

Default Re: Getting back into playing the mandolin

Hey Chris, I can't say I have any profound advice for you but I took a longer lay off in my playing and it only took a couple of weeks to get back up to my previous mediocre playing. Good luck, have fun.

Kris
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

I had to take time off too, and found that catching up was a bit of a struggle, though not as much as starting from scratch. You'll find yourself again and be back to where you were in short order. Take a disciplined approach to it and set goals. Some of it is like riding a bike, but you'll have to work your fingers and coordination back up. No way around that except through hard work. Just tell yourself it isn't optional!

Quit now while there's still time.

So few ever get second chance

Run, afore ye're dooooooooooooooooomed.

5. The following members say thank you to phiddlepicker for this post:

vegas 

Now's the time to do all that technique stuff you wanted to do back when but were too far along to relearn stuff; check out that new genre you had thought momentarily about, re-watch the Mike Marshall video ... you'll pick up where you were after a bit, but you have a great chance to do stuff right you didn't do the first time. lucky lucky!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Thanks for the encouragement. I have Marilynn Mair's Complete Mandolinist method book coming and I also have the Calace 6-part method. I certainly hope to get good habits ingrained from the start.
    2009 Calace Model 24

muscle memory will return. I just got a bass, after not playing since shattering my left hand 20 years ago. after about a month of light practice (spend more time with my mando), I can play about half the songs I used to play regularly after a couple of tries and a couple of listens.
    (for the curious, I got a Gretsch ThunderJet and an Orange CR50 bass combo amp, EXP 160 Reds were on it when I got it. The sound is excellent and ThunderJet earns its name, but i will probably switch to half-rounds because they fit my old playing style)

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Berardi View Post
    ... My main musical interests lie in Italian folk ...
    Well, there are these two recent books of Italian folk tunes by John LaBarbera, published in '09 and '12. Three dozen or so in each, w/ both standard notation & tablature. Most are on the included CD; the remainder are available on-line.
    http://www.johntlabarbera.com/#!shop/c1wre
    http://www.johntlabarbera.com/#!shop--cart/cq85

He has recently run some clinics at Trumpets Jazz Club in Montclair, NJ. NFI.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Well, there are these two recent books of Italian folk tunes by John LaBarbera, published in '09 and '12. Three dozen or so in each, w/ both standard notation & tablature. Most are on the included CD; the remainder are available on-line.
    http://www.johntlabarbera.com/#!shop/c1wre
    http://www.johntlabarbera.com/#!shop--cart/cq85

He has recently run some clinics at Trumpets Jazz Club in Montclair, NJ. NFI.
    Thank you. I have the 'Traditional Southern Italian Mandolin and Fiddle' book and the other one is on my wish list. I also have Carlo Aonzo's 'Northern Italian & Ticino Region Folk Songs Mandolin' book. I'm always looking for more music, though.
    2009 Calace Model 24