Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowlback Technique: How to hold properly?

Default Re: Bowlback Technique: How to hold properly?

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    IMO, it's a good idea, no matter whether you're playing a bowlback or any other style of instrument, to endeavor to develop a tactile feel early on for those things. A view of the top edge of the fretboard should then be enough to guide you. Practicing in the dark or with your eyes closed is helpful. Or you can use a mirror, if you absolutely must. Otherwise you run the risk of developing neck and/or back problems from hunching over to see what you're doing.
    Also, when you play from sheet music you can't look at the music and the fretboard at the same time...

Martin

Another good point, Martin!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Berardi View Post
    I can't seem to figure this out by looking at the pictures I've seen, due to the angle they are taken at. When you are holding a bowlback, what can you see of the strings and fretboard? Can you see all the strings and all the positions on the fretboard, or can you only see the top G string and the top edge of the fretboard and you just have to know where any single position is and what string your pick is on?
    If I look down I can see the reflection of the nice mother of pearl on the underside of the Thomastick flat-wound strings. It would make a nice photo. But in general I should be looking at the conductor, the audience or the score and will know where my various digits are from feel. That's for the stuff where I play the Bowl-back, but even when picking the A style at a BG jam I'll be looking around to see who's having a good time and share a grin, it's way more fun and the fret's aren't going anywhere without me.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I never look at the fretboard but some of my bowlbacks -- my Emberghers for instance -- do not have fret markers on the side of the fretboard which I do find I need esp when shifting. When I attempted some soloing in the Aonzo workshop, I put small pieces of Post-Its on the side otherwise I do get lost. For the most part I can find the positions but do need that small orientation help from time to time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Also, when you play from sheet music you can't look at the music and the fretboard at the same time...

Martin
    If you are a violin player, you will not need to look at the fret board, even when shifting positions. It comes natural
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    IMO, it's a good idea, no matter whether you're playing a bowlback or any other style of instrument, to endeavor to develop a tactile feel early on for those things. A view of the top edge of the fretboard should then be enough to guide you. Practicing in the dark or with your eyes closed is helpful. Or you can use a mirror, if you absolutely must. Otherwise you run the risk of developing neck and/or back problems from hunching over to see what you're doing.

bratsche
    That's what I would generally think, but it got me thinking because when I hold my mandolin it looks from my eyes like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	104510

But, it even seems like the likes of Ugo Orlandi looks at what's going on on the fretboard.

So I thought - what do I know, I'm probably holding it wrong.
    2009 Calace Model 24

7. The following members say thank you to Chris Berardi for this post:

Eugene 

Well, he has a music stand in front of him, but even in the places where he seems to be looking down rather than at the stand, he's not hunched over at all, and his eyes appear to be situated above a profile view of his mandolin, so he probably sees pretty much the same thing that you do... the top edge of the fretboard. I doubt he sees (or needs to see) all the frets his fingers are on, or the strings the pick is plucking. The sheet music is probably just there for reassurance as well, and I'll bet that if the lights suddenly went out, he could keep going as if nothing had happened. I wouldn't be so sure about the pianist (or his pageturner), though.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Thanks for all the feedback! The only qualm I'd have with using foam-rubber drawer liner is that I would worry about it eating into the varnish after a period of time (that stuff tends to break down after a while). But suede does it?
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoviol View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback! The only qualm I'd have with using foam-rubber drawer liner is that I would worry about it eating into the varnish after a period of time (that stuff tends to break down after a while).
    I don't know. I think if you attached it or lined the case with it, so the connection was undisturbed and long intervals, but for the time playing I don't think its a problem. I have played using drawer liner on most of my mandolins for a long time and it hasn't made any changes to the finish. And I play a lot.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

i think the best way to hold a bowlback is to take it up firmly by the neck with your thumb and forefinger in a determined, pinching gesture and place it gently but resolutely back in its case or instrument rack and then proceed in a jaunty, jolly fashion with a lightness of heart and a feeling that yes, it's all going to be alright ... to your much more comfortable, much better sounding flatback mandolin, hold it any ol' way you choose and apply smile, broadly.

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    i think the best way to hold a bowlback is to take it up firmly by the neck with your thumb and forefinger in a determined, pinching gesture and place it gently but resolutely back in its case or instrument rack and then proceed in a jaunty, jolly fashion with a lightness of heart and a feeling that yes, it's all going to be alright ... To your much more comfortable, much better sounding flatback mandolin, hold it any ol' way you choose and apply smile, broadly.
    lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    lol

Apparently Bill crops the photo like that just so you can't see the horns.
    They've set aside a very special corner in Hades where the thermostat's broken and a mandolin player sits muttering curses in Italian.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

humph ...

i do have a bowlback but as you might have guessed, i play it almost never.

they look great, however.

Blog Entries

Sorry Bill,
    My post is a bit ham-fisted;
    I meant you have a wicked sense of humour, and then thought of one of Dante's levles having a special extra uncomfortable corner to torment the bowl-back player.
    Eoin

i think the best way to hold a bowlback is to take it up firmly by the neck with your thumb and forefinger in a determined, pinching gesture and place it gently but resolutely back in its case or instrument rack and then proceed in a jaunty, jolly fashion with a lightness of heart and a feeling that yes, it's all going to be alright ... to your much more comfortable, much better sounding flatback mandolin, hold it any ol' way you choose and apply smile, broadly.
    Incorrect!

. . . or, more accurately, speak for yourself. My archtop Gibson lives in its case and gets play almost never. Those skinny soundboxes put my right arm at an angle I simply find awkward. I'll take a good ol' Neapolitan any day. If your flatback sounds "much better," I might humbly suggest you consider a better quality bowlback, Bill.

humph (ll) ... horses for courses ...

i must admit i've heard some surprisingly good bowlbacks of late - full, rich, resonant sound - not at all "plinkety-plink" (like most.)

Some of us actually like the twang.

horses for courses (ll) ...

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

We're down in our house in Austin for the summer and I brought three mandos along: a Vega bowl, a Leland flatback and a Gibson A. Each is getting their turn and I've enjoyed finding the right spot in the right room for each. (The wood floors help I think.) Choosing which music to play on which has always been a delight -- or subverting those discoveries.

But to the point of the thread: I've been playing bowlbacks for so long now in positions proper and otherwise that I don't really think about it much at all. They (the Vinaccia especially) feel as comfortable as my Schwab electric, the thin line of which would probably give bro' Eug fits--for all of about two minutes and then he'd punch the fuzz pedal and launch.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

horses for courses (lll) ...

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    horses for courses (lll) ...
    Man, you guys are making me hungry....

Veronese Horsemeat Stew

I'd serve in a bowl, however.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caballero.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	105025  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mmmm . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Nice to hear your playing, Eugene. Calace's Tarantella. I didn't realize until I waited a bit to actually hear it. is that your Martin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

humph (ll) ... horses for courses ...

i must admit i've heard some surprisingly good bowlbacks of late - full, rich, resonant sound - not at all "plinkety-plink" (like most.)
    I think you've been hearing the mandolas.

bratsche

27. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post: