Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gibson Mandolins

I just played the second worse mandolin I have ever played. It was a new Wayne Benson model Gibson. The only other mandolins that I have played that were equally terrible was a Sam Bush model and a $300 Weber. Now why do these madolin players endorse such JUNK? And why doesn't Gibson care enough to make beter instruments? There wasn't anything good about either of these two signature models.They where poorly constructed and they had NO SOUND. I can't say enough about how bad these things were. Gibson hasn't made a consistant mandolin worth owning since the 1920's. In fact I think all of the mandolins that are popular now aren't very consistantly good. There's too much attention placed on production numbers and not quallity of workmanship and sound. All of the major "makers" are just machine made. There's so little individual attention placed on each piece and therefore the cookie cutter effect destroys the product before they leave the factory. I challenge Gibson to make a mandolin worth buying. And for anyone who does own a good sounding Gibson mandolin made after the 1920's congratulations, you've beaten the odds. Go buy Lotto tickets!!!!!

Should I?......na

zzzzzzz.....

Maybe it's your ears.

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

I would go with the ears! By the way, what kind of mandolin are you playing that is so much better?

If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Bah, Bah, Bah. Give me a break .

What was the title to that Travis Tritt song? (Here`s a quarter, call someone who cares)!!

Darrell

Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

Ears are fine. I am a builder and play my own. Trust me these new Gibson mandolins SUCK! Remember I didn't say they haven't made any good ones on 80 years, just not consistantly good ones. I witnessed a young VERY GOOD player turn down a table of Gibson mandolins that Gibson was trying to get him to endorse. As his mom was pulling out her checkbook to buy one of these "too good to be true" mandolins her 13 year old wizkid told her to stop, he would never play any of the mandolins they had to show him.

that's quite a story, i like stories...in fact, i like everything you have to say.

If he was being endorsed why was his mother getting out her Checkbook?

Heck, I'll just sit here and play the Steffey and hope that you have some cheese to go with your whine... I mean wine
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

Nickel Creek isn't bluegrass. You shouldn't use a capo on mandolin. Tone-bars are a much better design than cross-bracing. Virzis suck. Monroe wouldn't have played it that way.

Sorry

To be seen on stage with a Gibson mandolin that was bought for a give away price is still an endorsement. That's why D.G. has tape over his F-5's. He doesn't like their new stuff either.

PASS THE POPCORN.. PLEASE!

Darrell
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (testore @ Feb. 08 2005, 13:45)
    I just played the second worse mandolin I have ever played. It was a new Wayne Benson model Gibson. The only other mandolins that I have played that were equally terrible was a Sam Bush model and a $300 Weber. Now why do these madolin players endorse such JUNK? And why doesn't Gibson care enough to make beter instruments? There wasn't anything good about either of these two signature models.They where poorly constructed and they had NO SOUND. I can't say enough about how bad these things were. Gibson hasn't made a consistant mandolin worth owning since the 1920's. In fact I think all of the mandolins that are popular now aren't very consistantly good. There's too much attention placed on production numbers and not quallity of workmanship and sound. All of the major "makers" are just machine made. There's so little individual attention placed on each piece and therefore the cookie cutter effect destroys the product before they leave the factory. I challenge Gibson to make a mandolin worth buying. And for anyone who does own a good sounding Gibson mandolin made after the 1920's congratulations, you've beaten the odds. Go buy Lotto tickets!!!!!
    I'm not concerned about your opinions on any particular brand of mandolin, including Gibson, but you have violated our board guidelines just now and it might be good for you to review those. I pay the fees that run this board and I enforce the guidelines that maintain the health of it.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....t=13100

· Avoid flaming or trolling – posts intended to create discord, antagonize others or create general mayhem. Be polite and courteous at all times. We expect spirited discussions and widely varying opinions that some may even find offensive, but exercise caution. A good rule of thumb is don’t say anything on the message board that you wouldn’t say to someone in person.

Hmmm, interesting post. I've played a lot of gibsons from the 2000-2004 period and most all of them sound good in my opinion. Yes some of them maybe in need of a setup and that affects the tone. I own a F9 and the thing sounds superb, guess I won the lottery. Also, that is not why David has tape over his gibson on his F5, I'm not going to get into why he really has the tape on there because I don't think this is the appropriate place for that. Ask him yourself if your really concerned. I think you're just venting out some kind of resentment or something, and it's shameful to use Scott's board to spread negativity like that. It's ok to say you are disatisfied with a product, but to bash a product is different. How would you like it if someone played some of your mandolins somewhere and then came back to cafe and posted what pieces of s@?# they are. I can say first hand that Gibson (the mandolin dept.) does not have machines pumping out these mandolins on an hourly basis. People put a lot of hardwork into those instruments (argueably as much as you). Good day...

Philip Halcomb

Sorry guys, I am a bit frustrated, but not resentfull. I really want Gibson to make better instruments because I feel the strength of the industry is based on the strength of the big guys in the bussiness. If they are healthy then all the little guys are too. I don't like what they are making from a players standpoint and from a builders stand point. I should have been more polite. I did speak to D.G. about this topic and you're right it's a bit more coplex than just what I've said.Sorry to offend just venting.

..hey chit happens...hey..Gary..what name do you build under?

I build Violins violas cello and mandolins under my name. Why?

My lil Gib sounds great.No complaints here.But why does DG have tape on his F5?I wanna know. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Quote Originally Posted by (testore @ Feb. 08 2005, 16:33)
    I build Violins violas cello and mandolins under my name. Why?
    That's spooky...I googled you and you died in 1765. But Testore violins and cellos are pretty valuable.

--sorry, just having fun...
    Give me bluegrass or give me The Grateful Dead.

:p

He probably builds under his own name. He's a graduate of The Violin Making School of America, established by Peter Prier in Salt Lake City in 1972. I note that violin/mandolin maker Paul Newson is also listed as a graduate.
    From a players and builders standpoint what aspects of the Gibsons would you like to see improved? Where were the Steff and Sam models you tried?
    And of course, I'm sure quite sure many of us would like to see pictures of your work. If it's not a mandolin, you're forgiven, as long as it isn't a b*nj@.
    Wye Knot

I saw the two mando's at two different places, but I need to keep my mouth shut. I do have a few pics of my work.If you'd like me to email them to you I will. If you go to soundpost.com you can look at some pics of a violin of mine too.

I tried to go to that site, but it didn't come up. Are there any other places to see some pics?
    Play, play, play!

Jacob Hawkins

Check out their archives or go to google and search for scarampella copy

Are you sure this isn't our old friend (you know who) rearing his head again? BTW, I'm not a huge Gibson fan (In fact I'm only 5'7"), but their signature series mandos that I've played are really nice, esp. the Steffey and Lawson models.