Thread: Doyle Lawson

I went to see him and his band a couple of weeks ago in richmond. Great show! After seeing him he is one of my favortie mando players. I have many favorites but when he plays it's just his own kind of thing. You know. Well i think the band is very tight and well put together. There stage movements and performance is perfect. They know how to get a crowd to enjoy them.
    I bought there cd "Hard Game of love" at the show and i am very happy with it. It only has one instrumental on it but it is a good disc.
    Well i was just introducing the topic.

Does anyone like them? Listen to them? Been to there show? Anyone have some good photos of them. Well feel free to say anything about the group.

I like Doyle Lawson quite a bit. I think of him as one of the remaining "second generation" bluegrass artists, very close in many ways to the first generation. Did he have Barry Scott and Jamie Daly? Tremendous harmonies those guys can sing (not to mention being great musicians). Last time I saw him, he had Hunter Barry on fiddle. Then I saw Rhonda Vincent not long after that, and there was Hunter again. I guess he had moved on.

Doyle's work seems to be very religiously centered. The gospel songs are great, and he isn't overbearing with it (like some artists who shall remain unnamed <g&gt. The mandolin work is solid. I think he was playing a Loar when I saw him here in NY.

Did they do any of their "comedy" routines? I liked that stuff, even if it is corny. It hearkens back to the roots of bluegrass, and I think that's what he wants to do. Great stuff!

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

He's coming to our area March 4th at the Argyle festival(near Ft Worth)along with a few other note worthy groups. Such as: Lonesome River Band, Mountain Heart, Lynn Morris Band, Cedar Hill and others. I missed it last year with III Tyme Out.Argyle Festival

Doyle's playing is a textbook example of how "playing it straight" can also be "playing it good". He never, ever loses sight of what is appropriate to the number that he is playing when he solos (or doesn't solo) Check out the early albums like "Rock my Soul" & "Quicksilver Rides Again". He's great....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Doyle Lawson is incredible!
    He makes it look so easy, doesn't he?!?

Hard Game of Love is one of my all time favorite bluegrass cd's - I think you'll really like it.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by
    Did he have Barry Scott and Jamie Daly? Tremendous harmonies those guys can sing (not to mention being great musicians). Last time I saw him, he had Hunter Barry on fiddle.
    Yea Barry and Jamie were there. They have a different fiddle player though. I believe his first name is Jesse. I got them all to autograph my cd so i will check the name. Well Terry Baucam is back with him and he sure can pick that banjo. Also Barry got on the piano for a couple songs off of the "Gospel Parade" album. The new fiddler plays a mean fiddle and it showed when he played "Sally Goodin".

Doyle is probably the single most reason I took up playing mandolin 30+ yrs ago....I loved that style....learned everything of his Tenn. Dream Lp years ago...I understand its been re-issued on Cd now. The man has got the best right hand in the biz....its not flashy or has razor edge speed like some other players....its just "there". Next time you see him live...watch that right hand....you'll will see what Im talking about.

I will also say that Doyle was a Major part of getting me interested in playing mandolin.I still after playing for 20 years must say that his style suits my ears as good as anyone. Like Scotti said he isnt the flashy player that some are but man he is smooth.

I was really glad to see Gibson honor him with the signature model mandolin.
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW WHAT SCOTTI MEANS BY "THERE", LISTEN TO DOYLE'S PICKIN ON "THING OF THE PAST" FROM THE HARD GAME CD.I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING DOYLE'S MUSIC FOR 39 YEARS NOW.HE GOING TO BE AT MACARTS HERE IN KENTUCKY MARCH 19.HEY SCOTTI, ARE ANY OF THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF THE KNOXVILLE GRASS STILL AT IT?
    Bob in KY

I think Darryl aka F5Journal would be more qualified to answer that question Bob....he was a member..

Hi Scotty I just wanted to say Hi and wish you luck on your surgery and tell you I saw you dad and played a set with at the Kentuckians tonight, Great guy and a real good musician I told him to tell you Hi and Doyle is really who got me interested in the mandolin he is hard to beat. Well just wanted to say Hi
    mike kegley

Hi Mike....yea..he rode up there with Clarence an the boys....hes taught me everything I know and a few things I dont know yet....thanks for the kind words...take care.

Yesterday i got the classic gospel album " Treasure money can't buy". But if money cant buy them i think the cd should be free.:laugh:

"ARE ANY OF THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF THE KNOXVILLE GRASS STILL AT IT?"

If I may, I'll answer this. #Unfortunately, Lynn Norman and Glen Laney are deceased (much too young, both). #Jim Millsapps is around and plays out occasionally on the banjo. #Paul Brewster's currently a long-term member of Skaggs' band. #Darryl's infamous amoung mando players for his historical contributions in addition to his mando playing. #(He's the reason I mess with this stuff!)

I can safely say the Knoxville Grass was as good as any band that I've ever seen. #They had a vibe that I've not seen to this day. #Better yet, they were great friends to all.

I met Doyle through Darryl and Lawson's been my main inspiration beyond Monroe.

..... f5joe

"I met Doyle through Darryl and Lawson's been my main" inspiration beyond Monroe.
    ...and that equation is hard to beat..

Doyle Lawson is THE model of how to put on a show, produce and sell music. So smooth, so perfect. A master of "taste." His stuff is what people want to listen to. He is, hands down, the best at the most important things in a band: MATERIAL, VOCALS, ARRANGEMENTS. And the essential piece of stage presence: ENTHUSIASM. The band is having fun! Go to his record table. His stuff from 20-25 years ago is still selling. People still request material from back then. I think I read that Doyle said the only people that come to hear instrumentals are other pickers..........and they don't buy many cd's. I believe it. Most fans want to hear good singing and have fun being entertained. And there's none close to Doyle. I have all of his recordings, and am eagerly waiting for the newest one, and the DVD of the 25 year concert. I am a mandolin picker because of Doyle's tasteful music.