Thread: Pettine Concerto

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra had its first rehearsal of the Pettine Concerto with its featured soloist, Richard Walz, complete with woodwinds and brass. Richard was in fine form and, while hard work, we had a great time. The performance is this Saturday, at the Providence Public Library (main branch) at 2 PM. After the rehearsal I had a chance to play Richard's Larsen (bowlback) -- an absolutely superb instrument!
    Robert A. Margo

Sad to say, I cannot make this concert, tho I had intended to. Best of luck on a great performance to Richard and the PMO.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Best wishes for a great performance on Saturday from DMO! Wish I could be there...

Allen
    Dayton Mandolin Orchestra: http://DaytonMandolin.net/
    Midwest Mandolin Quartet: http://DaytonMandolin.net/MMQ/

Hey Robert, Richard, et al., break that proverbial leg! I agree regarding Richard's mandolin. It is surprisingly impressive. It makes an even better impression in person than it does in images on Dan's web site.

...And welcome Allen!

Robert

I am hoping to make it. Sounds wonderful. It'll be good to see you again too.

Anything I should know about driving/parking in the vacinity? I haven't been to Providence in years.

Quote Originally Posted by (Eugene @ Feb. 09 2005, 15:22)
    Hey Robert, Richard, et al., break that proverbial leg!
    Considering the location of the concert, shouldn't it be a Providential leg? (Sorry)

JimD: if you go to www.mandolin-orchestra.org, there should be directions. Parking is on-street, a few blocks away should not be a big deal.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by (Eugene @ Feb. 09 2005, 15:22)
    ...And welcome Allen!
    Thanks, Eugene. I've been around MC for a while (but too long between spells and I'd forgotten my old nic, thus a new start). I tend to do more lurking/reading than not, when I'm able to do so. (Where's the time to keep up with all these excellent posts and practice!?

-Ar.
    Dayton Mandolin Orchestra: http://DaytonMandolin.net/
    Midwest Mandolin Quartet: http://DaytonMandolin.net/MMQ/

We had an excellent turnout for our Pettine Concerto concert, roughly 180 in attendance, almost a full house. The concert began with a collection of four of Pettine's works for two mandolins + guitar, with the mando #1 part being played (very well) by Maria Magnelli Arsenault, who was Pettine's last student (the other mandolin part and the guitar part were ably performed, respectively, by Bob Sullivan (of the New England Conservatory) and Tom Greene). The next segment of the concert featured the PMO in some of its standard repertoire, including a piece by Hans Gal ("Capriccio"). Lastly, came the concerto, preceded by a Richard Walz performance of two of Pettine's solo works. The concerto went very well, if I may say so, and Richard did a marvelous job, earning a standing ovation.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by
    (Where's the time to keep up with all these excellent posts and practice!? #
    Good question, Allen. I, for one, believe Eugene has a staff for handling his posts here and another for handling his job at The Ohio State University. *He* actually spends all his time playing mandolin, guitar, and fishing.

I'll never tell.

I will: Eugene is the CEO of Euge-O-Rama, Ltd, ancient music emporium, fishing tackle store and bowling alley. He has a staff of 35 just to answer his email, post on the cafe and change his mandolini strings.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Let's not forget the business of fabricating progeny and maintaining their well-being while inspiring high ethical standards. Unfortunately, the only staff I have is in the conducting of fishy business. Frankly, I'm tired.

My wife and I had the pleasure of being in the audience for Saturday's concert. The orchestra played beautifully and balanced very well -- even in a less than optimal concert hall. The program was varied but featured a number of pieces by Pettine (Saturday was his birthday).

Richard did a fine job on both the solo pieces and the concerto. He had also restored and completed the orchestration of the concerto (from a complete 1st movement and nearly complete 2nd -- if I recall correctly). The effect of the winds with a mandolin orchestra was a pleasant surprise and a nice aural complement to the rest of the program, which was various combinations of mando family and guitars -- from solo mandolin and small ensembles to the whole orchestra.

It was good to see Robert Margo again -- he saw to some introductions for us. (Thanks Robert!)

After the concert we went out for dinner with Richard, Mark Davis (the conductor, who we hadn't seen since being on the same bill in a program 15 years ago or so at the Connecticut Classical Guitar Society in Hartford), Joshua Bell (the concertmaster), several members of the orchestra (including Josh's wife and daughter) and several members of the extended Pettine family. A delightful group of folks, as interesting as they are talented.

Great music, great food, great company -- what more could you ask? (Maggi says, "These are people with souls as beautiful as the music they make.")

Woow! That sounds very nice! I wish I could have been there!

Alex.