Thread: Reasonable Price for Gibson Army/Navy?

Default Reasonable Price for Gibson Army/Navy?

This is my first post here, and I've really enjoyed all the great information I've found on the Forum! I've decided to purchase a mandolin as a gift for a relative who has played blues guitar for about ten years. I don't know anything about mandolins except for what I've read on the Cafe website in the past few days. I think the best option would be for me to look for an Army/Navy. One just sold online at Rosewood Vintage Guitars, and the only other one I'm aware of for sale now is listed online at a reputable music store, but it doesn't have a pick guard and is described having a well-repaired, stable back crack. Both mandos were advertised at $900. Should I consider paying that much for an Army/Navy in that condition? I'd like to purchase something in the next month or so, and I don't live near any shops that are likely to have vintage Gibsons. I don't have a feel for how often that model comes up for sale.

Default Re: Reasonable Price for Gibson Army/Navy?

If you're looking for a "pancake" style mandolin, a Gibson Army-Navy will be one of the more expensive ones. You might consider looking for a Flatiron Cadet or 1-N, which would generally be several hundred dollars cheaper, or a Redline Traveler, which is a new model built on the Army-Navy template, and also would be less than $900; manufacturer's price is $685.

Gibson Army-Navy mandolins are nearly a century old, and have both the "vintage" and "Gibson" attributes, which drive up their price. If your blues-playing friend is strongly drawn to the "Gibson" label and the company's historical reputation that's one thing -- but similar (perhaps better[?]) mandolins are available for less money.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks, Allen. Do you think $900 is a reasonable price for the Army/Navy given in the condition I described? And if I pass on it, do you think I'm likely to find another one in better condition in the next month or so?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

There's one for $900 that just listed on the Classifieds this week: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/67582.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I saw that listing but noticed the seller had never replied to inquiries using his listed email address. I thought that might be a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by cmajestro View Post
    I saw that listing but noticed the seller had never replied to inquiries using his listed email address. I thought that might be a red flag.
    It doesn't say that he's never replied to queries; just that he's never responded to other ads using that email. No red flag, should be quite the opposite, he's not flipping them.

Great! Thanks!

Unfortunately the one in the classifieds is not all as original. The customization is a matter of personal taste, but negatively effects value.

Blog Entries

They show up from time to time. There will be other opportunities if you decide to pass on this one.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've decided to purchase a mandolin as a gift for a relative who has played blues guitar for about ten years. Awesome!! I think you're related to me too!!!! I don't know anything about mandolins except for what I've read on the Cafe website in the past few days. I think the best option would be for me to look for an Army/Navy. One just sold online at Rosewood Vintage Guitars, and the only other one I'm aware of for sale now is listed online at a reputable music store, but it doesn't have a pick guard and is described having a well-repaired, stable back crack. Both mandos were advertised at $900. Should I consider paying that much for an Army/Navy in that condition? Must be the going rate. You've found three, (with the Café listing) all at that price point. I'd like to purchase something in the next month or so, and I don't live near any shops that are likely to have vintage Gibsons. I don't have a feel for how often that model comes up for sale.An old saying that things happen in 3's. Might be a long dry spell till the next one
    No, houseworker, I was looking at too many mandos this morning Everybody have a great day today. One of my Grandblessings just came in to play with me. Goin offline
    Last edited by Rodney Riley; Jul-18-2013 at 10:46am. Reason: Old age

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    It does have the pick guard
    Am I missing something?

Thanks, Allen. Do you think $900 is a reasonable price for the Army/Navy given in the condition I described? And if I pass on it, do you think I'm likely to find another one in better condition in the next month or so?
    Well, I wouldn't pay $900 for an Army-Navy, when comparable non-Gibsons are available for hundreds less. But that's just me. There aren't a great number of them around -- Gibson only made them for a few years, as a low-end model supposedly designed to be sold to members of the armed forces around WWI. So they're 90+ years old, give or take, were inexpensively built to start with, and have withstood nearly a century of use (possibly abuse).

But they say "Gibson" on them, and they're vintage, so they have significant market value. In my book, I'd rather have an '80's Flatiron (I have an '80's Flatiron octave mandolin "pancake," which I have played for nearly 30 years and enjoy very much).

If your friend the "blues guy" really values "old Gibsons," then you should consider that. Otherwise, well, I'd look at comparable, more recent mandolins.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Nope!! I looked at wrong mando right before posting. Sorry

As a side note. I would lean toward a Redline. No particular reason. Just would.

If you are wanting a vintage Gibson don't get an Army Navy. They are primarily a collector's item, having been made for basically one year only. You can find a classic A model (pre-truss rod) for about the same price that will play much better and be more durable. I bought my 1914 A for only $675. All it needed was a bridge and a good set up to play wonderfully (another $125). Other possible affordable Gibsons are a later '20s A-0 or a '30's model A-00. Both can often be had for under $900.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

The Army/Navy was well reviewed in the March 2012 Cafe article about vintage mandos under $1K, so I to purchased it for my son as a college graduation gift before he moves to the west coast. I felt more comfortable buying the one from The Parlor in Knoxville vs. buying from eBay or a classified, since I really don't have the experience to evaluate them. Thanks so much to everyone for their advice!

That looks like a very reasonable buy, in nice original condition. The repaired crack in the back is pretty much the norm for these and shouldn't be any problem at all, and to me it looks a far better buy than the one listed in the classifieds.

I hope your son will get lots of enjoyment from it; he'll certainly appreciate the vintage vibe.

This is the mandolin the OP went for. Looks good. Love the case!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    In my book, I'd rather have an '80's Flatiron (I have an '80's Flatiron octave mandolin "pancake," which I have played for nearly 30 years and enjoy very much).
    Can't I have both? As the owner of an 80's Flatiron and a more recent Traveler that you referenced upthread, I must confess that I often wonder what one of these Gibson pancakes would sound like with nearly one hundred years of age on it.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

The Army/Navy was well reviewed in the March 2012 Cafe article about vintage mandos under $1K, so I to purchased it for my son as a college graduation gift before he moves to the west coast. I felt more comfortable buying the one from The Parlor in Knoxville vs. buying from eBay or a classified, since I really don't have the experience to evaluate them. Thanks so much to everyone for their advice!
    Good move in buying from a shop. You can be sure it is in good playable condition with no surprises. What a great graduation present! I'm sure your son will enjoy it. Also it will most certainly appreciate in value. There also is something special about playing a vintage instrument.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I thought I would update everyone who helped me with my purchase, because I'm sure you will all get a chuckle out of it! I enjoyed researching mandolins so much that after purchasing the one for my son, I bought one for myself!! I bought a '95 Flatiron Cadet from Elderly after reading the Cafe thread that "no dog is too old" to learn new tricks! LOL

My son has been playing the Gibson army/navy and is loving it! Today my Flatiron Cadet arrived, and I have been having a blast playing around with it using the two-finger chords on the Cafe resource page. I've located a mandolin teacher and will start lessons in about a week. The Cafe has been such a great resource!!

Father-and-son "pancakes!" Don't get much better than that...
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Haha! Mother and son! We are just back from Augusta Blues Week in Elkins, my first time and his second. He plays guitar, but I don't play anything (yet), so I took outdoor cooking classes. The music was awesome and was everywhere! I didn't want to go to bed at night!

Really glad the purchases turned out well. The best way to keep this conversation going is if you post a picture of your new Flatiron in the 'post a picture' section of the forum, then a few more people will know to say hello.

You bought a couple of really nice mandos which will serve you both well as starters, and perhaps for a life time.

The first siX months are likely the hardest, but by then you should have developed calouses and you are home free.... I like your enthusiasm. it really will open up a new world of experience and thought. It certainly did for me.
    Bart McNeil